What am I doing wrong with bass?

• For some reason, I'm not happy with the results of playing my bass through the Kemper. I know this is not the case with many users.

When I play my bass through the Kemper, it seems like a lot of frequencies are unnaturally hyped. That's not the case when I go direct into my interface or through an amplifier direct.

Bit surprised, seeing all the love for bass profiles on here. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

• Are you using an active or passive bass, this makes a huge difference and I find for me passive sounds spot on where as active takes a lot of fiddling, starting with the 'clean sense' setting.

• I've recorded using the Kemper and my Bass. I have NOT used Bass Profiles, since I typically have found seemingly good sounding profiles (say a Bassman) and just go with that.

That said, so far, I find it easier to just go DI to my UA LA-610 and set the levels correctly. Something about a tube preamp and optical compressor works better for my Rick 4003 which likes to get a tad too trebly in some of the profiles I've tried.

I haven't given up, but I haven't found the Holy Grail Bass Profile either. Plus I haven't like the Acoustic Guitar results either, preferring a Microphone, and using the Kemper recording blent in for more of the finger noise.

• That said, so far, I find it easier to just go DI to my UA LA-610 and set the levels correctly. Something about a tube preamp and optical compressor works better for my Rick 4003 which likes to get a tad too trebly in some of the profiles I've tried.

This. I don't have a conventional preamp, but my RME Fireface 800 has a DI input that I use. Since I have EMG pickups and an EMG preamp, that pretty much takes care of my tone right there. Now toying with the idea of using that with a pedal in front.

It just sounds fuller than a profile, it becomes more tiny when I'm using the Kemper somehow, like the wrong frequencies are getting attenuated. Here's my bass when not being run through the Kemper. Somehow seems very mix ready to me, more mix ready than when I run it through the Kemper.
    https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-rage/esp-horizon-bass-track

• Hey nightlight,
    it's not clear to me what "chain" (i.e. rig) you use when playing bass through the Profiler. Or is it a matter of you using it like a DI box?
    If this is the case, have you tried the Direct Out?

IOW, how's the Profiler set when you play bass through it?

• This. I don't have a conventional preamp, but my RME Fireface 800 has a DI input that I use. Since I have EMG pickups and an EMG preamp, that pretty much takes care of my tone right there.

like you said, you're basically already using a preamp with tone shaping. adding a profile to that will yield different results than using a 'normal' passive bass and profiles.

It just sounds fuller than a profile

not surprisingly, a cabinet/mic will always take away th very high and very low frequencies (and modify the midrange quite a bit)
    you just happen to prefer the more full range DI signal.
    you could disable the preamp (if possible) and try some of the Darkglass BK7 profiles.

• like you said, you're basically already using a preamp with tone shaping. adding a profile to that will yield different results than using a 'normal' passive bass and profiles.

not surprisingly, a cabinet/mic will always take away th very high and very low frequencies (and modify the midrange quite a bit)
    you just happen to prefer the more full range DI signal.
    you could disable the preamp (if possible) and try some of the Darkglass BK7 profiles.

That's an interesting thought, DonPetersen. It's like they say about active pickups and active preamps on instruments, like running one preamp into another.

I don't see any EMG and other active pickups guys having the same problem with their guitars and Kemper profiles though, probably cause their preamps might not be active, so I'm hoping I can get by with my bass too.

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure I can take out the preamp without having to switch it to a passive one, which I'd be loathe to do. Bass has a great tone DI, so maybe I'll stick to that for a main tone and do some effecting on a duplicated track within my DAW instead.

Hear you loud and clear, mrs-zambesi. who cares indeed :)