Question about using performance mode with a fractal audio mfc 101midi board

• Hello,

excuse my bad english, I don't use this language very often and school is a long time ago... ;)

First of all I want to introduce myself: my name is Daniel, I'm from Mainz, Germany, and I own a black non-powered head for nearly 5 months now. I come from a Eleven Rack, wich I only used once in the last months and that was when the Kemper was in our rehearsal room ;) With the Kemper I found much easier and faster great usable sounds than with the 11R. But I think, I'm still only scratching on the surface of the possibilities of the Kemper.

I read a lot about the Kemper in this forum before I bought it and it helped me a lot to make the start with the Kemper easy, so thank you for sharing your tips, tricks an especially all those great rigs in the RE!

Now I have my first question, hopefully anybody can help me:

Is here anybody using the mfc 101 from fractal audio as midi board? I bought one used to a good price for my Eleven Rack two years ago and it works well with the Kemper in browse mode.
    Now I started playing in a band again and I want to use the performance mode for a better rig management. I managed to program the mfc 101 to use the performance mode with the relative method (changing performances and rigs by using midi cc just like using instant access buttons) but then there ist no way to see on the board which performance is active and I can't see the rig name.
    So I thought I can use the method by using program changes (and organise the songs and setlists later with the mfc), but then I am limited to 128 rigs (25 full performances).

In the manual of the KPA there is a description how to use more by using bank select controllers and this is the moment where I don't know what to do.
    Does anybody know how to program the mfc with bank select that I can use more performances?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Greetings
    Daniel

• I think, displaying the active performance and the rig name on the screen of your MFC 101 has nothing to do with how you select a performance on the KPA (CC or PC). It is a matter of two-way-communication between your board and the KPA. For this goal you need two Midi-cables connected between your board and the KPA. But I don't know, if the MFC 101 is able to display the rig name and the name of the active performance anyway. Or did I misunderstand your question?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I think, displaying the active performance and the rig name on the screen of your MFC 101 has nothing to do with how you select a performance on the KPA (CC or PC). It is a matter of two-way-communication between your board and the KPA. For this goal you need two Midi-cables connected between your board and the KPA. But I don't know, if the MFC 101 is able to display the rig name and the name of the active performance anyway. Or did I misunderstand your question?

Thanks Kempermaniac, propably I dindn't explain my problem detailed enough:
    the mfc 101 can not recieve data from the Kemper, but I can give names to the presets of the mfc.
    My idea is like that: I set the bank-size of the mfc to 5, so I have the lowest row of buttons for switching the slots of a performance an with the bank up and down buttons I can step through the performances. This works fine with the first 25 performances until performance 26, slot 3, because all these performances an slots can be choosen by the midi programm changes 0 to 127. In this case, I can program the name of each slots to a preset of the mfc (for example clean / crunch / lead...)
    Then I can create songs in the mfc, their name will be displayed when you choose a song, and the name of the choosen preset / slot will be displayed when you press the button for the preset. And for gigs I can programm setlists with the mfc.

My problem is, that I don't figure out how to program a mfc preset, that includes a midi bank select so that I can use more than 25 performances, because the mfc offers more than 300 presets. The manual of the Kemper says, that you can adress up to 125 performances, each with 5 slots, by sending a combination of bank select LSB #32 with values from 0 to 4 and a program change from 0 to 127. How do I get my mfc 101 to send these combinations?

When I use the relative method, I have to programm 5 presets of the mfc sending the midi CC for choosing slot 1 to 5 of a performance an two instant access switches for performance up and down. But now when I press the buttons for performance up (or down) I can't see in which performance I am except in the display of the Kemper (because there is no two way communication). And I have only 5 presets names for slots, which have to match for all performances (for example it is not possible to have displayed "clean and chorus" in slot 1 of performance 1 and "crunch delay" in slot 1 of performance 2)

I hope my question is now better understandable? It is not easy to discribe such a complex problem in a foreign language, I would have a problem to explain it even in german ;)

Daniel

• Aaahhh, now I see! :)
    I don't own a MFC 101, so I don't know exactly how to do it. But I wrote a guide for a Roland FC-300, maybe you can find some help in this thread. Good luck!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I want to use my MFC101 with the KPA, too. It works funtionally quite well, but I have some serious Dropouts, when switching Rigs (Browse and Performer Mode). There is a noise like something´s overclocking in the Background. This takes about a second to Change a Rig. This is definitly no usual behaviour, but what´s going on here?

I thought, I maybe send all Instant-Access-Commands together with my #PC, but i turned them all off (Exp-Commands as well), but can´t get rid of the "switching break".

EDIT: Got it! It works.

Edited once, last by frama78 ().