Satriani rigs ?

• Hi all, anyone out there got any nice Satriani rigs they are willing to share. Really getting back into listening to his stuff lately and love his tone. Particularly the lead sound he gets on his balled type songs. Particularly like the tones on the Extreamist. I've tweaked some rigs and got close, but can't seem to nail it. I know alot of it is playing technique so maybe I'm as close as I'll get... but if you have anything please share :thumbup: .

cheers
    Mike

• I agree a lot comes from all that is before the amp (guitar, pickups, hands)... In particular for the Extremist tones. He used mainly Marshall amps and perhaps a rectifier sometimes (Rubina blue Sky ??).

Anyway, I played The Extremist during this concert with my old MARKIIC+ profile, and it worked pretty well, so I think any good Hi-gain amp will work fine :

http://www.dailymotion.com/vid…-chalons-26-09-2013_music

Cheers

• Oops I forgot, the overall mix is very important here. I mean, unless you find the original backing track with the master tracks, I don't think you would achieve totally the tone. I mean, I play on a The Extremist Backing track which sounds great, but the drum tone and rhythm guitar track are way different of the original... and even if I had exactly the tone Satriani had on this song, I highly doubt it would sound right...

• There is also free profile of Marshall JVM410 HJS ,from legendary Tony McKenzie, not bad at all.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• He actually list's all the gear he used in each album in his very recent book "Strange beautiful music: A Musical memoir" which is a quite a very good read for guitarist and musicians in general who like's his stuff (not a basic biography, it really is "musical memoir")

Anyway on Extremist, he used (amps and effects on the album) '69 Marshall full stack", Marshall 6100, Roland JC-120, '64 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, Soldano 100-watt head, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectrifier head, Cry Baby Wah's, Boss DS-1, OD-1 and CE-2 pedals

Main guitars were ibanez JS-series, but he lists some Kramer, some Strat, some acoustic, banjo etc.

From the book I remember he writing that he used to get his lead sounds in earlier albums mostly from the Boss pedals on top of clean sound (not sure was it even that JC-120 he has used forever or was that only used on the clean parts). The Peavey amps came much later, (2002 was first album to use Peavey amp).

I have a JS-series guitar and it definitely has part of the "Satriani-sound".

• Great information and welcome here !

• this book is excellent, I read it this night !!! I was a mega-fan of Satch a long time ago, and totally stopped listening his new stuff since Crystal Planet, but I have to admit that The Extremist is now my favorite album. the job he did with Andy Johns is awesome. I have rarely heard a so well arranged guitar album. There are so many layers which add special ambience, amazing...

+1 for the JSX on the Rig Exchange. I use one of those for some of our live songs - it is shredderific :)
    (I think I pulled the gain back because my pickups are hot enough to goose the front end of my Marshall).

I typed Satriani in the RM this morning and found 1 or 2 good rigs by Tony McKensie I think. I only managed around 15 mins of noodling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk