Concerned about tones Im hearing from new Strat with Kemper

• I don't agree with Armin here. Especially definition is a parameter to make a profile fitting to a certain guitar WITHOUT changing the amp's characteristics.
    So you did what a man has to do and it's all good.

Thanks Ingolf. I certainly was joyous when I discovered those 2 parameter adjustments cleaned up that awful sound. I didnt relish the though of not being able to use my brand new Strat with the Kemper. And with those 2 adjustments all is good .

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• If I plug Strat into an amp which is set for JEM, I'll get a shrilly bad tone. I'd not expect a profile set for a high output humbucker equipped guitar work well with a Strat.

Yes, this was EXACTLY my experience at first mdeeRocks. I have 720 rigs on Kemper (many of them TAF). Just about every rig that had boosted Gain suffered from that shrill bad tone. Upon inspection, many had Definition set to 10. Lowering it to 5 helped a lot. And setting Clarity to 5 sealed the deal. :)

I have no amps to profile and will rely on files I download or purchse in the future. But now I know they will work with the Soloist AND the Strat.

• Adjusting the advanced amp parameters most definately IS a good solution. Thats why they are there. I do it all the time to suit my ears and different guitars with great results. Go for it if you like it. Enjoy.

• Adjusting the advanced amp parameters most definately IS a good solution. Thats why they are there. I do it all the time to suit my ears and different guitars with great results. Go for it if you like it. Enjoy.

Thanks Kieroc. Actually...been there...done that....last night. As I stated at the beginning of the thread, SUCCESS in cleaning up nasty distortion from Strat was result of setting Definition to 5 and Clarity to 5. :)

• I don't agree with Armin here. Especially definition is a parameter to make a profile fitting to a certain guitar WITHOUT changing the amp's characteristics.
    So you did what a man has to do and it's all good.:)

Someone from the Kemper team (I can't remember who) wrote once that minimum definition the distortion rides in the fundamental and with higher definition, rides in the harmonics. I consider this a change in the caracter of the amp.

• My experience with my Strat and SSL-1's vs my LP is that some distortion profiles sound better with LP than they do with the Strat. My Tele does best with Distortion compared to the Strat.

So I use the Strat for Clean->Blues Crunch. I use the Tele for Country->Rock->Distortion and the LP for just about anything Clean->Hi Gain

So some of the distortions you liked with a Humbucker may have issues with SC for sure. But in addition to those parameters mentioned, toy with the CAB shift parameters and see if that can sweeten things up too.

• Thanks db9091. That sounds very familiar to me.Im still wrestling with things today. The Definition reduction helps, but only partially. Still love the Jacskons performance and dislike the Strats. I will check out your cab shift suggestion. Im beginning to feel like theres a possibility I might still return the Strat if I cant feel better about the sound Im getting in the Kemper.

Its either that or keep the Strat and sell the Kemper :(

• Gotta love 45 day return policies!

Yeah, give yourself a good 10 days of troubleshooting. I LOVED my Strat, but my Tele, MusicMan and LP have pushed it down to Number 4.

But when I want to play Mark Knofler, there is nothing like it. So I keep it around for my Heroes who play 50's Strats.

• Without changing the definition, the Kemper is unusable with the Strat. At this point its that simple. And since I want to use it, its the paramteer that gets changed :)

My main guitar is a Strat and I've playing it through all kind of amps and the KPA but I have not detected any issues with the distortion in the KPA vs the real amps. The od tone with my strat is grainy and lacks the definition of the HB guitars I own except when using a fuzz of some od pedals.

Could you record a clip? I can post a clip of my strat (loaded with Lollar Blackface) with the Rig you choose and with my current tube amp to see if you detect the same problem in my clips.

• I would like to clarify what I said about Strat and Distortion. I like it on SOME distortions, but not many. I like the Tele on most. I like the LP on most all. But the Strat has more distortions I do not like.

But I agree, its MY preference and with the amp I have owned, I also don't like my Strat with them. It's not the Kemper or the Profiles. It's me.

• I can't tell which I like better, my Tele or my LP at this point. I think the LP is the new toy, so that gets an unfair edge. But something about the distortion. Both different, both quite satisfying. It's hard to find a profile you hate with the RIGHT Tele, ha ha!

• OK , if I keep Amp Definition & Clarity at 5 AND only turn gain up to 10 O clock on the dial I get a nice usable tone for just about any rig.

So its seems the Soloist can deal with rigs as they are, but the Strat needs this modification in order not to sound like shit.

• I'll play with mine when I get home. I don't remember that happening for my Strat.

But it would not be fair to compare "Strats" since one is a PC board effect and the other is the real thing. The REAL Strat is how it's gonna sound out a real amp.

• So its seems the Soloist can deal with rigs as they are, but the Strat needs this modification in order not to sound like shit.

Probably, the strat will sound the same in the real amps and is not as issue of the Kemper. As I said, my strat sounds as good or bad using the real amp or the KPA.

• Well, if I cant resolve this problem in the next several days, the Strat goes back. My Jackson Soloist sounds great with the Kemper . It has both single coil and humbuckers on it.

I have no interest in getting a Telecaster or any other guitar.

Oh well. Live and learn. :P

• OK, for those of you following my adventures with the Strat and the Kemper... a new development.

Im ignoring all the functions Ive tried in the past and starting from scratch this afternoon in a desperate attempt to get the Strat with Gain sounding good with no high freq "raspiness" in the gain distortion.

Explored the INPUT options. I dropped the Distortion Sense a little bit to -2.2 db. Ive gone thru about 50 rigs and the Strat sounds good. No other modifications have been made. This seems like a good omen.