Kemper PowerRack doesn't cut through the mix.

• When I am practicing with my band using my Kemper PowerRack I´ve noticed that it doesn't cut through the mix.

I am playing using a guitar cab with Kemper´s guitar cab emulation disabled. The other guys of my band play with high gain tube amps.

Please shared setting and tricks for solve it.

Thanks so much.

• ive never yet used my kemper live for this same reason ! there is no resolution unfortunately. i've tried full range speakers,several power amps through guitar cabinets but nothing seems to help. when put up against my marshall jmp's or 5153's the kpa cannot compete live. the kpa was designed for the studio and thats where it reigns....
    still one of my best purchases ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive never yet used my kemper live for this same reason ! there is no resolution unfortunately. i've tried full range speakers,several power amps through guitar cabinets but nothing seems to help. when put up against my marshall jmp's or 5153's the kpa cannot compete live. the kpa was designed for the studio and thats where it reigns....
    still one of my best purchases ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I disagree :) if you are running your 5150 etc a full volume then yes but I find that hard to believe someone would do that those things are dam loud :)

My DXR10 kept up with my band no problem they are very loud !!!

To the OP are you using certain profiles, like someone mentioned above you need to pick the correct kind of profile and something that might sound good at home in the bedroom will prob not sound good in a live situation :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I'm with Raoul23 on this one: KPA sounds great for me live! Im going thru either a pair of DXRs or a pair of Celestion V30s using a 90W Camplifier! In both cases, it's like a punch in the face. :thumbup:

What speakers are you using? This may be obvious, but a typical cause is that too much mid frequencies are scooped out, therefore reducing the "cut through the mix" factor...

• I use my KPA with a pair of EV ZLX12p's and it cuts through fine. The biggest thing I do is after getting a profile where I like it I then add more mids, as much as 10% and it sings in a high volume stage situation. Did this as a last resort, tried everything to get through the mix with the sound the way I like it. Maybe my ears just like it scooped but I need to be heard first and foremost.

• It's not the KPA that doesn't cut. It's your abilities to set up your sound that doesn't cut.
    Try lowering bass and adding mids and treble. Often people tweak their sound @home (without a band)... big mistake, you have to tweak with your band or at least with a recording of your/a band. A "fit-in-the-mix" guitar sound doesn't sound very nice when playing alone (actually I even think a good band sound sounds horrible without the band).

Try the free TAF ManRock 800 profile. Lower the gain to 4 and add mids 2-3 o'clock and treble/presence (2 o'clock). That cuts like hell :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Ouch @mDan's reply ^^

He's got a point though. You need to sculpt your sound to cut through the mix. Ramping up mids is one way to do this. Remember, the bass will take care of the low end, you need to accentuate the higher frequencies, not the bass frequencies. It's quite simple to do on the fly.

As suggested, spend some time with the band tweaking profiles at stage volume. And don't be afraid to tweak on stage in case things go to hell, that's what the controls are there for.

• Thanks

The typical set up in my band is the next: a guitar player with marshall JCM 2000, bass player with Ampeg SVT Cassic and me with a Mesa Boogie Rect o Verb.
    Whit this configuration we sound awesome. If i change my Mesa for my Kemper my sound don't cut the mix.

I use TAF (Diezel VH4) comercial profiles and Petes (Bogner Esctasy) comercial profiles too. I haven't found a decent Rect O Verb profile and i haven't goods mics and sons interface.

This issue could be for use a guitar cab ???

• I use a 2x12 Framus guitar cab with Celestion Vintage 30.

anybody use kemper in a 5 members band. Share your sounds please

• Yeah, try a guitar cab. I have the Powerrack and have gigged using my old Marshall 1936 2X12. Sounded great. These days I'm using a PA wedge speaker on the side of the stage pointing inwards towards the band and feeding the main outs to front of house. Works for me! It takes a bit of getting to used to though, not having that cab blasting you in the back ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

• Using the profiles through a traditional cab setup requires a LOT of eq tweaking to cut it and if you're using the same guitar speakers for all your profiles, you're undercutting the benefits of various cab sims in the Kemper(!).

IMHO, use the Kemper profiles through FRFR stereo setup and it's sound excellent! :D

• We are two guitars, bass, drums, vocal.
    Both guitarist with Kemper Powerhead with guitar cabs (#1 Matrix NL12 or CAA 2x12 with V30; #2 Engl 2x12 Vertical with V30) – no problem with disappearing in the mix:

Rhythm sounds:
    #1: Tills 2 JVM 2 Mics (not tweaked)
    #2: Mesa Recti Profile (tweaked)

Solo Sounds:
    #1: TAF VH4 Solo or TAF Soldano (slightly tweaked)
    #2: factory Mesa Lead (slighty tweaked)

Matrix NL12 has Celestion Vintage Century Neo in it, it is sort of clearer as V30.

• The KPA is mainly designed for the studio, but nevertheless with a good FRFR-cab and the right profiles you'll get a good band sound, too.

But it's not as easy as playing a tube amp, because you need to find the right profiles and probably tweak them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Its easy to get a good sound with two tube amps or two Digital amps - it's another story with one tube amp and a digital amp.

I remember - years ago - having tweaked (another brand) digital sound for hours - this sounded so huge via my PA speakers.
    Then came a friend with a 20Watt tube amp - and he blow me away ;(

Only two tips I can offer:

Tweak at band level - let the other players play while you tweak or use a recording of the rest of your band.

Try profiles (for band use) while playing this backing track - you'll find that a lot of "nice bedroom" profiles will sound poor - and a lot of profiles which seams to sound poor by itself - shines with the band. The louder you play the less gain is needed - thats why its important to have same amp profiled at different gain settings.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de