Anybody Still Use Cabmaker?

• When it first came out, I found and converted a ton of IR's.

I don't think I've used ONE of them since.

Just seems like profiles, if you have enough, and Tills, already provide so many great CAB's I don't need professional third party IR's.

And since there are so many good profiles, I don't need to make so-so one's better. Just a waste of time.

So, is there anyone really making use of this? And why? Interested in your work and history with this tool.

• +1 to little time and too many great options as is.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• After first try I have realised that the profiled cabs sounded better than the IR,s..., so I,m happy without the CabMaker.

Is here anybody who,s using IR,s with succesfull results??? I,m curious if I,m wrong... ?(

• I've done a ton and they just didn't come out right.

The distinction between amp and cab in the Profiler isn't clear enough to use IRs normally.
    I did, however, use a tube amp with a loadbox into an IR loader and profiled that. Ditched the amp section (it's a very, very old stereo tube amp converted to work on EL34s), but got some awesome cab profiles that way and i'm using them to this day.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• It's a secret. :S And anyway what works for me probably won't work for your playing, ears, guitars, profiles and signal chain. I happened to stumble on a particular profile+CabMaker IR combination that I like better than the full profile, that's all. I'm only suggesting that there's no point being dogmatic about this stuff. If it sounds good it is good.

• It's a secret. :S And anyway what works for me probably won't work for your playing, ears, guitars, profiles and signal chain. I happened to stumble on a particular profile+CabMaker IR combination that I like better than the full profile, that's all. I'm only suggesting that there's no point being dogmatic about this stuff. If it sounds good it is good.

When you say "profile+CabMaker IR" are you using a Merged profile ? ie. profile of an amp (sans cab/mic etc.etc.) then placing your cab IR in the cabinet section?

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I've been continuing to read and re-read both user manuals (brief version and long version) whenever I read on here about something that brings up a question or something I have not considered before.

I admit my stupidity, ignorance, and lack of ability to even understand a lot of what is written on this forum, which is the reason I keep re-reading the manuals. I see the words, but nothing much computes.

On weekends, I go back through all of my chosen profiles, and tweak those I desire too, then write them down and back up my newest work.. I am saving for the remote, so I am writing down and trying to organize about 5-10 specific profiles for loading onto the remote. One performance will be for each of three guitars I work with live.

I have not purchased any commercial profiles yet, due to saving for the remote. I figure that once I get the KPA out and at work on a job, then I find out that I need to re-tweak, purchase, or will be happy with what I already have.

I hooked up a Crate Power Block to the KPA and a Marshall 1912 cab from the monitor out, cab disabled internally, and ran some of my stock profiles through it, and it sounded good to me at home, even turned up. However, my plan is to use IEM's, so I really cannot tweak much more until I hear playback through FOH, as I am using headphones to listen to everything, and also to practice.

I have the forum-approved and chosen profiles, such as the Morgan AC20, Golub Marshall, and several others here that I have read about. My question is, since I do not know how to really manipulate the KPA as many here do, how much more should I be doing? While I am surely no expert, I have been playing for almost 6 decades, and what I am hearing from the unit's stock profiles, which will be used for commercial band work, to my deaf ears, sound really amazing as they come from the individual profilers who have contributed generously to the Rig Exchange.

Obviously, I could make them sound better, based on what I am reading, but where to begin? I would think that those who have taken the time to profile and share on the Exchange, have already done an immense amount of work to get the right cabs, mic placement and amps dialed in. What else is really left to do, other then wait for the finished version of the newest OS system?

I understand that if I like what I hear, that is all I should expect, but is there anything I might learn to do to really possibly improve the sound that much more?

Edited once, last by C-4 ().

• Chasing rumors of tonal improvement is a waste of time if you're already satisfied with what you're hearing. The only reason I spent any time with IRs is because I was chasing very specific (Gilmour) tones that I couldn't quite nail with anything else. Out of curiosity I did experiment recently with far-field IRs that someone named antcarrier created for the AxeFX. They sounded fine but didn't end up in any of my rigs.

• My advice is not to overlook the factory profiles and the user profiles on the rig exchange. I notice that most profiles can be made to sound good. Here's what I do. I disable all effects and listen to the basic profile and many times they sound fine, then I start adding my effects.

Also in the Amp setting I I bring everything to default, Power Sag to Zero, tube bias to zero, tube shape to 3.3, clarity to zero, compressor to zero, pick to zero, the definition I leave as is because I don't think I can figure out the default. Now you have the amp as it was originally profiled before the user started tinkering with it to bring to sound good with their setup. From there I'll tinker with these setting just for curiosity but generally the amp default is best from my experience (compressor can do wonders though So I'll add a little of that).

Generally I think that the default, should give excellent results and from there adding effects is based on one's taste. If the profile isn't good at default, why bother! there are many others that sound pretty good at default and can only get better.