Where is the sound of moving air in the profiles?

• Not sure if i understood you correctly, but it seems you are missing the sound pressure that the amp or the cab produce inside a room. This is a common problem. Most home studios and even some more professional studios do not have complete sonic isolation between the recording and the control room. The louder the amp the more intense the bleeding into the control room will be. At some point you will also have an impact into the structure of the building. Of course the KPA will not reproduce this, even if the generated profile is spot on. It might take a while to get used to the fact the the KPA copies the tone of an amp but not its physical impact.

• It´s a common problem for drummers who switch to Edrums. A solution might be something like this:

http://www.ccisolutions.com/St…uitammer-buttkicker-bk-ct

It gives the player a physical feedback of their performance. Never heard of guitar players using something like this, but it you are seriouslylacking some playing feel it might be wirth a try.

• I am not studio engineer by any means , but this is what I've done following advice from my friend who IS damn high top level studio engineer .
    I was missing that air in my humble home studio as well , while still having fantastic sound out of my Kemper , by direct recordings.
    Before Kemper , I've done quit a lot recordings with my amps ,using mic of course, some of them were really good for my purpose.

So, my friend told me: " OK, you want that "air feeling " that you used to achieve before, while recording with real amps/cabs/mics .
    Why don't you do that again ? I said -to do what? He said -play Kemper through the amp and cab and record it with mic. In the same time record Kemper directly to comp/Logic , then mix by your liking .

Simple , stupid , poor SM 57 in my hand wired amp/Mesa Cab , while Kemper going directly to computer and Logic in the same time.
    Mixing those two is very interesting , since cab is always Mesa 2x12 , while KPA> Comp has it own cab coming from that particularly rig .

So, Kemper offers that thick balls valve natural sound anyway, but now when micking the real cab (and my Mesa cab is pushing the air big time ) it becomes even more natural and real.
    I am not sure I really can capture that air in my poor home studio, but certainly there is something very "push air amp like" , much different than direct recording .
    Maybe you would like to try it at home as well ? :thumbup:
    Cheers,
    Zoran

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

• If it sounded good in the headphones, it was likely the addition of 'space'

I believe (not tried and I'm not at home, sorry) you can either do this on the output settings (per output) or add it as a parameter in X

Good luck :)

• Found it in the reference manual:

and

The Space effect is identical to the global version of the “Space” effect in the Output menu. It produces the natural reflections of a small, neutral-sounding room. The most obvious result of these reflections is that a mono signal is converted to stereo; to soften the transients, a little diffusion is also applied. You can still combine the Space effect well with Delay or longer Reverbs, without creating too much reverberation.
    The algorithm is designed to be the shortest possible room effect, thus it has no deep parameters. Use the Intensity parameter to control the strength of the effect.

Hope that helps!

Dave.

• In the new Andy's TAF pack 8, one can find fantastic Reverb , applied for almost all profiles.
    Buy one profile for few pounds, and there is perfect Reverb , the best one up to date ,that I find in KPA.

Cool, THank you. Can you tell me a quick way to find this. I have only had the kemper a few days. Im probably guilty of jumping the gun. I dont need to be spoon fed, although i would LOVE to get the kemper sounding like its moving some air. What type of room do you you use on yours?

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

• No I never was on ultimatemetal 8)
    Very nice sound and playing , lots of energy there, but definitely you need some "space" or Reverb .
    Also, guitar is very well defined , I can hear strings are quit good separated .
    I will add a touch of the bass (or this is just soundcloud ) , reverb and space.
    It is so easy to do it with KPA , and intuitive though.

Anyway , play it through real amp and cab and record with real mic and real cab. . You will be surprised !

Good luck , we are happy you keep the toaster ! :thumbup:
    Cheers,
    Zoran

• If I read correctly, you are using the POD UX1 interface for your Kemper?

Do you have any friends with a better interface to see if that isn't the bottleneck to your problems?

When I do not hear in Reaper what I am hearing in my Headphones, it's my Audio Interface settings. But it could just be a limitation of the audio A/D converters.

I've not recorded with that, but maybe it sounds as good as a POD because it actually is a POD?
    I don't mean that derogatorily, I'm just trying to peace together your signal chain and your Audio Interface strikes me as the weak link, especially since you have a power-house Pre-Amp (KPA) and a power-house DAW, but a rather weak interface, quality-wise.

That said, spend some time with your level settings. Audio Out on the KPA main outputs L+R should be about -10db plus or minus 5, and you shouldn't be clipping your inputs, etc.
    I know you've been recording for 10 years, but it's amazing what can be overlooked when you attach new gear and just assume the same old levels work, when they don't.

Good luck, the patience is worth it and don't stop until you at least get as good a recording as what you hear in headphones!

• I'm mainly a metal player too and I always use just a little of the "space" parameter when I record (around 1.5). Sounds too dry without it to my ears. Give it a shot.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. A good profile sounds 99% like the original miced amp/cab. That's all you can ask for. The rest of it comes down to mixing techniques.