My first Profile! Suhr 0D100

• A pal of mine has a 3500.00+ Suhr rig.

Channel 1 is a per spec recreation of a '58 Bassman

Channel 2 is a late '60's Marshall Plexi.

This thing embodies classic rock tones. I used a Fathead Ribbon Microphone into a chandler Germanium mic pre (thick switch off). NO compression was added to the profile (are you guys adding any?).

This is my first profile and need you guys to be brutally honest with your thoughts and suggestions. Recording a great sounding guitar is what I do..but this IS my first profile..so I am eager to see what you guys think.

The guy that owns the Suhr said "Congratulations man, your Kemper just paid for its self! You have my Suhr in there".

I was skeptical about the kemper, he was EVEN MORE skeptical about it. We are both blown away with it. There is some difference between tones. Some of the bass is not present on the Kemper profile but as I told the amp owner, "During a Mix I would dial that out anyway".

Eager to see what you guys think!

Look for the profile named "Steve's Suhr" under my screen name.

Denicio

• Quick play with these (at low levels) - there are some great tones in there! The treble booster really brings out a real nice focused mid that would sit well in a mix. I am using a Les Paul, so had to bring back a bit of bass and get the high end working a bit more but nothing I wouldn't do anyway.You can hear the bassman tones on the clean ch (higher gain). with the treble boost kicked in. Covers all the bases for classic rock. :thumbup:

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• Hey Denicio,
    Downloaded your Suhr rigs last night. Liked the overdrives. Smooth distortion. But with hum buckers, even the clean profile sounded kind of crunchy. Now I never heard a Suhr in person and I know some guys like their cleans with a little hair on 'em. So I'm curious. Did you profile with single coils?

• I do not know how should this amp sound too.. these profiles in my evironment sound quite dark.. but nic! maybe due to Ribbon used.. I have checked some you tube videos of this amp and it is not so dark.. could you profile it once more time with RODE NTA mic for instance? if by chance possible? thanks anyway for your effort and sharing profiles.. :)

• Hallan & Others,
    Yes, these are indeed VERY dark and that was NOT my intent.
    As a tracking and mix engineer I go for an initial sound and tweak it later in my DAW. As you all know the process there is no post production on these profiles.
    Last night I had some studio headphones on while playing with my new Kemper. I came across my Suhr profiles and was a tad embarrassed at the darkness and murkiness of the profiles. I must hone my profiling chops no doubt. I cut this off axis. Next time I will try it on axis. I may also stick an SM7 or 57 on the cabinet as well.
    These were recorded with a Suhr Strat with all single coil pickups. Steve the owner of this gear is a Suhr junkie :)

I have mixed feelings about putting a LDC like a Rode on a guitar cabinet. My LDC's consist of Neumann 103, AT 4050, ADK stuff, some modded Oktava's and a few cheaper ones. The Fathead ribbon has always been a good robust sound for guitars but this profile is essentially crap.
    What tips to you guys have on making a successful profile? None of my Pre's have EQ on them. I have Chandler Germaniums, Focusrite ISA 828's, TL Audio and Demeter stuff. None of it junk. Just a bit perplexed, I suppose, at the dark and murky profile I did.
    Are you guys cutting the amp with FLAT settings? Or are you cutting it the way you want to hear it? I opted for FLAT thinking that the Kemper controls would give me what I need later. Even with this profile the kemper EQ can only do so much.

I am ALL EARS on advice you guys can offer.
    Thanks!
    Dennis

• You will likely have good luck doing what you mentioned and putting the ribbon on axis along with the SM57 on axis or angled on axis. The ribbons are lovely, but very dark when alone and not on axis. As to your eq. question. I am a proponent of what you mentioned you did. The Kemper can handle the eq. changes based on everyone's guitar and taste etc. so unless your amp has some gain structure changes within the eq. I always eq. flat and let any changes be made on the Kemper. There are many that profile the amp in the settings that they like best where the eq. is set accordingly. Either works out. If you are trying to give a rounded set of profiles of an amp then flat is my recommendation since everyone knows the starting point. If you are trying to give a couple profiles of your favorite settings then profiling with the eq. adjusted is probably the path you would take. I would just recommend either tagging the profile or naming it so the eq. settings become known. You can also do a quick check of this by switching a cab out of another profile that has a mic combination you like and is setup the way you are thinking. Use your amp profile and check it with another cabinet and see what you think. I did this with these and based on that I would say once you set your mics up your profiles will be where you want them.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• unless your amp has some gain structure changes within the eq. I always eq. flat and let any changes be made on the Kemper.

The only problem is that it's not easy to tell when an amp's tonestack is "flat"... setting the knobs at 12 oclock doesn't help.
    On my Lonestar Special, for example, these are the setting which less influence the sound curve:

Clean channel: treble 0 - mid 4,5 - bass 3,5 - presence 0
    Drive channel: treble 0 - mid 3 - bass 3,5 - presence 4

• I have mixed feelings about putting a LDC like a Rode on a guitar cabinet. My LDC's consist of Neumann 103, AT 4050, ADK stuff, some modded Oktava's and a few cheaper ones. The Fathead ribbon has always been a good robust sound for guitars but this profile is essentially crap.
    What tips to you guys have on making a successful profile? None of my Pre's have EQ on them. I have Chandler Germaniums, Focusrite ISA 828's, TL Audio and Demeter stuff. None of it junk. Just a bit perplexed, I suppose, at the dark and murky profile I did.
    Are you guys cutting the amp with FLAT settings? Or are you cutting it the way you want to hear it? I opted for FLAT thinking that the Kemper controls would give me what I need later. Even with this profile the kemper EQ can only do so much.

I prefer profiles that are replicating an amps different sweetspots. I then use the KPAs eq and other options to tailor the sound to suite my: guitar, speakers, taste, production...

Good luck with the OD100, I've not yet had time to try your profiles but it's an amp I've always wanted to try!

• First thing, thanks for sharing your work. Everyone appreciates your time and efforts. Secondly, the more you do it, the better it will be. You have an excellent signal chain and I can't wait to hear your next offerings.

FWIW, I think of profiles like photos. A great photographer knows that even a beautiful model has her certain best angles. And so it is with amps. If I may suggest, on your next attempt, try dialing up what you think are its sweetest tones ... and take a nice sonic picture for us. Show us what you like about the amp.

The beauty of this whole process is: a great profile is a wonderful starting point and every KPA owner can enjoy it as is or photoshop/tweak it to their own preferences.

• The only problem is that it's not easy to tell when an amp's tonestack is "flat"... setting the knobs at 12 oclock doesn't help.

Typical understanding here is that flat is 12:00...nothing added (+)- right side of 12:00 - nothing taken away (-) - left side of 12:00-. Others may take it differently, but when the tone stack is taken as FLAT in my area people mean set at 12:00.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Typical understanding here is that flat is 12:00...nothing added (+)- right side of 12:00 - nothing taken away (-) - left side of 12:00-. Others may take it differently, but when the tone stack is taken as FLAT in my area people mean set at 12:00.

This is typically only true for active tonestacks (active means you can actually add something).
    For all passive tonestacks in history the assumption that 12:00 is flat is definitely wrong.

• Typical understanding here is that flat is 12:00...nothing added (+)- right side of 12:00 - nothing taken away (-) - left side of 12:00-. Others may take it differently, but when the tone stack is taken as FLAT in my area people mean set at 12:00.

BTW - I'm right next door to you in Ohio, and, I wasn't refuting what tone control setting people call "flat" in Indiana. A lot of people call that "flat" here, too. I've also heard many people here consider "all tone controls on 10" to be "flat".

The funny thing about when the knobs are all set to the same number:

If the amount of midrange scoop in the amp's sound comes close enough to offsetting the inherent midrange boost of a guitar speaker well enough, the "in the room" sound may very well be relatively "flat" :)