My first Profile! Suhr 0D100

• I'm familiar with the internet.....just hoped it would be different with a group of people having a common ground.

Let me explain myself more as I think we are talking about two different things. When the amp builder/designer creates the amp they set it up so it sounds as they want it to with the speakers they've designed it with etc. That setting is with the eq. at 12:00 so it provides the sound they are looking for without any additional eq. added to or taken away. From what I have been told if you go into a place to try out an amp set the eq. at 12:00 and if the amp sounds like crap the amp is crap. The terms that have been used for that setting are flat, neutral, baseline and probably many others. It has never been expressed nor implied that the 12:00 setting produces a flat eq. curve in the output sound. It is only a way to express that the settings are as the amp builder created the "fill in the descriptor" sound. They are typically no where near flat. Profiles made with these settings are not sterile. Not sure if that makes things more clear or if I will hear back with something explaining to me that my understanding of amp building is skewed and I should move on to water polo..

This appears to be the same understanding of the OP based on what was written. Have a lovely Monday.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Hmm... Personally I have never seen a statement like that, that noon setting are considered flat by the constructor of an amp.
    And personally I've never seen the recommendation to play an amp at noon settings either.
    I think its only because at noon settings you have the most choice for alteration, in a way.
    But these knobs surely are there to be tweaked, per guitar.

• I've never seen the recommendation to play an amp at noon settings either.
    I think its only because at noon settings you have the most choice for alteration, in a way.
    But these knobs surely are there to be tweaked, per guitar.

Right. Never said to leave them there only that it is a reference point to give you an indication if the amp sounds good without making various eq. changes.....you would adjust to suit your taste and equipment, however there are some amps that other players have not changed the eq's on the amp because it naturally sounds great. I have done this on numerous Orange amps (left at 12:00 or very slight changes) Reference point.

• My impression is that the potentiometer controls on most traditional guitar amps are more attenuators in reality and don't actually have a "boost" function. Presence controls, in my understanding of most traditional and popular vintage amps function through adjusting negative feedback and dumping some frequencies to ground...

How the designer intended is likely what we all might understand as "flat".. For me, the notion of flat response and electric guitar amps just wasn't and likely isn't a design target for many makers or buyers.

I prefer if folks that do profiles set the amp where they feel it's at it's best clean, slight breakup, drive, overdrive. For amps that just don't do some gain levels well, there's no need to capture an amp setting that never works for that sort of amp. That's just my impression as I have had the good fortune to test some amps with the designer present. I most usually tell them to dial a tone they think represents the amp well. I don't recall it being noon across the panel....

I think the joy success of the KPA is that it's capable to capture an amp at it's settings and allow it to be used. By their very nature, guitar amps are famous for coloration. Guitar speakers also. They are ingredients to achieve a goal.

I have plugged into some of the finer recording consoles and "flat" from an electric solidbody guitar is of very limited use for me.

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• +1 to all of the above! ;)

• Update on my Suhr Profile.
    Over the weekend I had the amp back in the studio. We set up the Fathead, SM57 and SM7.
    This really revealed to me what was happening. The Ribbon (Fathead) is a lovely microphone and it plays ALL the beauty of this amp. The problem is that may not be what we want to actually hear.
    The ribbon reveals ALL the low end of this amp and this created the muddy profile.
    SM7 was good but not what was needed. The SM57 came in the clear winner.
    So I have reprofiled the amp and will upload those soon (preparing for a big session this weekend).

ALSO, Suhr puts the actual speaker much higher up in the cabinet than I am used to. I had to get a high powered flashlight to see the speaker placement (Grill cloth is seriously dense). Once I saw it was NOT centered but mounted higher up..i could see where my original mic placement was WAY off.

SO, adjustments have been made, new profile has been captured and I will be sharing real soon.

Dennis

• This is typically only true for active tonestacks (active means you can actually add something).
    For all passive tonestacks in history the assumption that 12:00 is flat is definitely wrong.

As I reported elsewhere on this board, on my Lonestar Special the flat tonestack responds to these settings:

Clean channel: treble 0 - mid 4,5 - bass 3,5 - presence 0
    Drive channel: treble 0 - mid 3 - bass 3,5 - presence 4

• right..but we can't seem to get past the point that we are not talking about making the eq. curve from your amp flat. ?( It is simply a reference point for when your eq. knobs are at 12:00...nothing more, nothing less.. Many names by various people, but it seems very difficult not to make over complex. Back to the Suhr profiles....

Thanks Denicio.