Tips on successful Profile sounds?

• I need input on how everyone is successfully profiling amps.

My first profile, to my ears, was a total bust. It was VERY dark and that was NOT my intent.
    As a tracking and mix engineer I go for an initial sound and tweak it later in my DAW. As you all know the process there is no post production on these profiles (unless I missed something).
    I cut my first profile with the amp with an off axis micing position.. Next time I will try it on axis for a brighter sound.. I may also stick an SM7 or 57 on the cabinet as well as opposed to the Ribbon Mic I used.

I have mixed feelings about putting a LDC like a Rode on a guitar cabinet. My LDC's consist of Neumann 103, AT 4050, ADK stuff, some modded Oktava's and a few cheaper ones. The Fathead ribbon has always been a good robust sound for guitars but this profile is essentially crap.

What tips to you guys have on making a successful profile? Are you guys cutting the amp with FLAT settings? Or are you tweaking the amp it the way you want to hear it and then capturing the profile? I opted for FLAT thinking that the Kemper controls would give me what I need later. Even with this profile the kemper EQ can only do so much.

What about compression? I have a nice distressor that I use during tracking of all my guitars. This profile I went from the Mic to the Pre to the Kemper. NO compression. What are you guys doing?

I don’t have a pre that has EQ on the front so I am EQing by mic placement. What are you guys doing?

I’d like as many opinions on this as possible as I want to contribute some top quality profiles to the community. My first attempt is just bad.

I am open to any and all suggestions!!!

Dennis

• I don't know anything about recording.....but, If I were you, I would look at the post history for AND44 & Armin. They both make great profiles, and have pulled the curtain back on a few occasions to allow mere mortals to have some insight into how they do it. 8)

• Hey Denicio :)

Some users have reported that they attempted to make a profile and it sounded like crap. They tried a second time, and it was perfect... HTH :)

Also, what do you mean with flat settings? 12 oclock on the amp's tonestack is no way flat...

Last, on the wiKPA you'll find a number of tricks and tips for using the Profiler, including profiling amps.

:)

• I used a little project-sub-mixer (Peavey 6-ch) and experimented with a lot of different mics (Sure SM57, Sennheiser MD421, plunger mics, ribbons, different condenser mics in the back) and pre-amps (valve/solid state) and feeded back the signal to the KPA (no eq-ing). For the fine tuning after the ufo-wharping in the profile process I only use single-coil or stacked single-coil pickups for more airy sounding profiles, even if I intend to make humbucker-profiles. After profiling I use the features of the KPA to tune the created profile. Imo the quality of profiling has dramatically improved since FW 2.0 up (or are we all doing so much better meanwhile?).

• I think it is a good idea to use the right style of guitar for the intended sound (or, as close as you have), with stock pickups adjusted to factory specs. Doing that makes it more likely for other people to also like the sound of the profile, using their similar guitars.

When adjusting the amp and microphone(s), most people adjust the amp's controls to a sound they like, and then adjust the microphone placement to a sound they like in their monitor speakers. At that point, they make a profile. Some make many profiles of an amp, with different settings, and mic placements. Others make a smaller number of profiles, or one profile.