All the reasons to use or own a Profiler

• Was discussing today with a friend via email, talking about tube amps Vs. modellers/profiler.

At one stage, he asked "why looking for a substitute, if you can have the real thing?".

That was more or less a rhetorical question, but I happened to think of what the answer was for me.
    I ended up with the following points. I'd like you guys to share other reasons of yours, to check whether I've overlooked or forgotten some important ones.

EDIT: adding here interesting ideas popping up from the thread :)

EDIT-2: Just discovered that the post can't be more than 10k characters. So adding a link here :)

8<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Don] The real question should be: if you have the real thing, why would you not dramatically expand your possibilities by simply getting a Profiler?

Sound Quality
    I'm most probably within that 99 % of people [re: a statement from my friend] who do not hear a difference with a mic'ed tube amp&cab when the profile is well done.

In most cases, profiling improves the amp performance. A noisy, no-master volume, no-loop amp becomes a modern beast you can tweak far above its design, and with an 80-dB gain knob at your disposal.
    Furthermore, this amp will flawlessly interacts with the fx, the EQs and other services (spectacular noise gate, pick attack control, proprietary Kemper compressor...).

The Profiler can sound the way you want it to sound.

Versatility
    The Profiler can perform in a variety of ways: direct to mixing desk, with a guitar cab, PA cabs, studio monitors, headphones.

The Profiler alone can suit a variety of different needs and tastes.

[Guitartone] It has to be versatile because guitarists are so different. Ask any pro guitarist (or bedroom player) what his rig was 20 years ago, ask him how many different amps/pedals/rigs he's been through in the last 20 years. With the Kemper you don't have to keep buying different amps/pedals as your tastes change, and you can be 100% sure your tastes will change, what your ears love hearing today they might not love hearing in a years time. No need to trade amps (lose money) to buy the new amp and keep doing the same thing over and over year after year. The Kemper is a GAS killer!!!

[timowens] Being able to make a single channel amp into a multi
    channel amp. I have some really nice amps and at this moment the Dirty Shirley is my favorite, it just has the tone that I've been looking for, but it's a
    single channel amp which doesn't work so well in a cover band. With the
    KPA I have made several profiles and I can switch from clean to crunch
    to lead without touching the knobs or trying to balance the sound
    levels.

[hollowbuddy] Creating not existing amps !!! You take a profile of one appreciated amp and tweak a lot the
    amp/cab/eq parameters to your direction then play with the different
    cabs and you get a "personal amp", ready for your own use !!!

Consistency
    The Profiler doesn't change its sound depending on the tubes state, the mains quality, the phases of the moon and other accidents X)

[Don] You can take on stage the same exact sound you used in your record.

[guenterhaas] On every show I have exactly the same sound direct to desk. I heard so many bands with horrible guitar-sounds, even when they have the nicest amps on stage, very often it's hard to mike guitar-cabs on stage and they can destroy a lot of the FOH-sound.
    Plus, the FOH-guy loves me..... no loud guitar-signals on stage creeping into all mikes, much better FOH-sound.

Economy
    Being short of money, I would not be able to own more than one high-quality amp. For the cost of only one amp I can play hundreds of them. Not to mention the several different profiled cabs.

I can also have access to amps I would never be able to buy, such as custom amps, custom modded amps, rare or unique amps...

I will have access to most of the amps which will be designed in the future.

I will save the amps' maintenance costs (tubes, repairing).

Practicality
    The more expensive, rare or... heavy your amp(s), the harder to move, transport, take them at gigs or rehearsals.

I can profile any great amp or pedal combination (within what can be profiled of course) I came across at friends', gigs, rehearsals.

I can use the Profiler with many different instruments, included basses, acoustic guitars and anything amplified via a pick up.

You can go abroad with just your guitar, find/rent a Profiler, remotely access your 5,000 profiles and have your sound all over the world.
    If there's no Internet connection, you can always rely on your USB sticks (3 of them, 2 of which for backup purposes)/HD/tablet/smartphone.

[guenterhaas] I have recently been on a big tour (60 shows) with KPA, midi-floorboard and a few guitars. I could play all kind of electric (strat, Les Paul, ES-335) and acoustic guitars (steel- and nylon-string) with the KPA. For me a "normal" setup would be at least one multi-channel-tube-amp (f.e. Diezel VH4), 2 miked cabs for stereo, an effect-rack + midi-footcontroller, some stomp boxes + a different setup for the acoustic guitars.... that's a lot of equipment (don't even think about having everything twice for spare...).

Playing
    I can use a cracked amp an low or no volume, and/or use headphones and silently play at any hour of the day.

Services
    I can have lots of fx and be sure that there will be more available in the future to choose from w/o the hassle of assembling a pedalboard, carrying its weight and real estate around, having to do with (several and different) power suppliers/batteries, hum & assorted noise, cables... and when you get a new pedal you have to rethink you perdalboard... and so on.

The Profiler is always evolving: in 10 years, it will have had tens of free upgrades, updates, amps, fx, functions...

Stage
    When on stage, I can feed the board with a much more consistent, robust and clean signal than with a mic'ed amp.

I can keep the stage noise level low, monitoring is much easier.

[Alex] You can adjust the monitor volume leaving the FOH volume unchanged.

Studio
    Recording is waaay much easier than choosing the mic(s), placing them, finding the settings...

It's much easier to get a professional sound than with amps, mics, mic pres, placements...
    [db9091] I can get a professional setup without having the great ears of a studio engineer, and get much closer to a professional result than recording amps on my own. A huge boost for the hobbyists, but a boon for the starting-out professional.

If I want to redo a track in the future all the settings will be stored and recallable with a single click (w/o having to remember which mic you used, where you placed it, how was the mic preamp set and so on... provided you still own that mic and pre).

[Andy] On average, if I record a full band, I'm to setup mics, equipment, room mics, levels, unity, phase, EQ, compressors etc. This is all before tracking, on X amount of amps... normally for recording, I use 2 or 3 (per person) and for bass DI + Amp - that's a lot of work, and can easy eat a day just in prep.

The Kemper, in takes seconds to find the profiles for the session. and because I have 4 Kempers I can track 2 people (in dual amp mode) at the same time. without all the noise (if I wish).

Cost: this brings down artist/label costs, as they don't need to pay for a day prep, this means they can get creative for longer, or simply pay for less time, or better still use the extra time to add extra parts, experiment, have fun.

Security, If they want to use real amps, then I take profiles of all the setup directly after tracking. an exact replica of what was tracked
    (but not mixed) - this means if any corrections needs to be done, then its easy as pressing a button and re-recording with no differences (this always gets the jaws to the floor, love that moment).

Being into audio, and anal about what I do as a perfectionist, the
    Kemper allows complete control (with direct, not room) of your prep
    stage still, so you can still add your trademark signature if you wish.
    and that is far more satisfying than, "hey I made this preset out of
    turning a few knobs from an already existing amp simulation".

I can effortlessly reamp my tracks remaining in the digital realm.

[Don] Franz Plasa - and this man owns some very cool and unique vintage amps - said that the Profiler is enabling him for the first time to record two tracks of these incredibly rare amps simultaneously with slightly different settings.
    You can't just buy another - let's say Bassman - and put it next to the vintage one, and even if you were able to find one with the same specs and could afford the price tag, it still wouldn't sound the same.

[nightlight] The luxury of choice. You can fit into practically any recording session with a Kemper. There are thousands of profiles and with the rig librarian, it's easy to find something that would sit in almost any mix or jam session. And the number of profiles are growing.

Musical culture/Experience
    It has happened that Kemper users have bought an amp after hearing a profile based on it.

[Don] It's a great tool to get to know new gear. I bought mics and speakers based on profiles I liked that used these and was not in the least disappointed.

• Great list - contains all most important points.

For me its very important that I get the same sound every time I use the Kemper when I record - with a real multi miked amp is it not possible.

But I can understand your friend too:
    Why using a simulation if you can have the real thing.
    For anybody loving only one (or a few) amp sounds.

... and the KPA would be useless without profiles of real amps ;)

My main argument for the KPA is - I have sold all other digital amp simulators and all speaker simulators after I got the KPA.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• But I can understand your friend too:
    Why using a simulation if you can have the real thing.
    For anybody loving only one (or a few) amp sounds.

Franz Plasa - and this man owns some very cool and unique vintage amps - said that the Profiler is enabling him for the first time to record two tracks of these incredibly rare amps simultaneously with slightly different settings.
    You can't just buy another - let's say Bassman - and put it next to the vintage one, and even if you were able to find one with the same specs and could afford the price tag, it still wouldn't sound the same.

Michael Wagener stated that he uses the Profiler 99% of the time now, and he has all the amps, cabs and mics.
    When you can just recall a previously made profile life gets much easier.
    If you need a tone you haven't profiled yet - set it up, profile it and your library of tones is even more complete.

The Profiler obviously benefits from having a tube amp (your tube amp) 'at it's disposal' , so you can get all the sounds that are important to YOU in there.

The real question should be:
    If you have the real thing, why would you not dramatically expand your possibilities by simply getting a Profiler?

p.s.
    It's also a great tool to get to know new gear. I bought mics and speakers based on profiles I liked that used these and was not in the least disappointed. ;)

• My reasons:

Time vs Cost vs security

I have 20 real amps left now.. (approx) - I will never sell them, as they are different, and I use them differently from the Kemper.

Time:

On average, if I record a full band, Im to setup mics, equipment, roommics, levels, unity, phase, EQ, compresses etc etc.. this is all before tracking, on X amount of amps.. normally for recording, I use 2 or 3 (per person) and for bass DI + Amp. - that's a lot of work, and can easy eat a day just in prep.

The Kemper, in takes seconds to find the profiles for the session. and because I have 4 Kempers I can track 2 people (in dual amp mode) at the same time. without all the noise (if I wish)

Cost: this brings down artist/label costs, as they don't need to pay for a day prep, this means they can get creative for longer, or simply pay for less time, or better still use the extra time to add extra parts, experiment, have fun

Security, If they want to use real amps, then I take profiles of all the setup directly after tracking. an exact replica of what was tracked (but not mixed) - this means if any corrections needs to be done, then its easy as pressing a button and re-recording with no differences. (this always gets the jaws to the floor, love that moment)

Being into audio, and anul about what I do as a perfectionist, the Kemper allows complete control (with direct, not room) of your prep stage still, so you can still add your trademark signature if you wish. and that is far more satisfying than, "hey I made this preset out of turning a few knobs from an already existing amp simulation"

So.. The kemper has its place, now, and in the future.

It would get used 100% of the time IF IT had a real perfect replica of a spring verb! : ) (dig)

• One more reason:
    it's so funny to see the faces of people who are looking for your amps and cabs on the stage...
    and later they look so weird when they realize that your valve sound comes from a toaster!!! :D

• Thanks for your thoughts and posts. After my first encounter with the Kemper (when it was brand new) I thought: Nice. If there was a rack version with an integrated poweramp it might think about getting one. And I prefered to have one Amp providing just the sound I wanted.
    Some time went by, lots of thinking and checking out in the music store nearby my reasons to buy where
    - lightweight rig
    - possibility to reduce stage volume (especially when supporting a choir) - if needed to zero with In Ears
    - dont mess with microphone positions (and repositioning when somebody did stumble upon the mickstand...)
    - consistant sound (live and in the studio)
    - AC30 sound without "schlepping" (as germans would say --> see lightweight rig)
    - lots of Amps I would never buy (after one weak I told my wife that I have to buy a real Bogner Ecstasy.... ;) )
    - having fun with a real innovation to the industry
    After ~ 3 weaks I'm still happy and still wondering how easy it is to handle (without reading the manual...)
    I like my Rack powered Kemper!

• Done!

I took advantage of the editing to give some order to the post.
    I guess my cataloguing and ordering mania has carried me away again LOL

Oh, I've added one more point: You can go abroad with just your guitar, pants and toothbrush, find/rent a Profiler,
    remotely access your 5,000 profiles and have your sound all over the
    world.
    If there's no Internet connection, you can always rely on your
    USB sticks (3 of them, 2 of which for backup
    purposes)/HD/tablet/smartphone.

• The profiler is very cheap - the cost was way below the money I got for all the other gear I was able to sell after I got the Kemper.
    -all other digital amps / modelers. (Zentera, AxeFx, ...)
    -Speaker simulators (some of my Palmers, Torpedo VB101, ...)
    -Some five tube amps

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• Three benefits I didn't expect from the Profiler:

1) Because I can play 500+ amps, I've been able to identify amps I love that I may never have heard. Even a tube amp lover who will never want to own a digital amp can benefit from this experience.

2) I've always been curious about the differences between hardwired and circuit board on certain models (Vox AC's) and also about various years between runs of other models (i.e. Deluxe) and now I can slate my curiosity with many of the same models being profiles from different production runs, different years, different schematic executions.

3) Another benefit is I can get a professional setup without having the great ears of a studio engineer, and get much closer to a professional result than recording amps on my own. A huge boost for the hobbyists, but a boon for the starting-out professional.

• One of the most important things is the versatility of the Kemper, it has to be versatile because guitarists are so different.

All guitarists suffer from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).
    Ask any pro guitarist (or bedroom player) what his rig was 20 years ago, ask him how many different amps/pedals/rigs he's been through in the last 20 years.
    He once loved his Marshall, then he spent a few years playing Fenders, then he switched to Mesas, then he spent a few years playing different boutique amps, decided to go back to Marshalls, then a DrZ became his holy grail and then finally he ended up back at Fenders...some guitarists I know have gone through 6 amps in one year, never mind 20 years.

With the Kemper you don't have to keep buying different amps/pedals as your tastes change, and you can be 100% sure your tastes will change, what your ears love hearing today they might not love hearing in a years time. :)
    No need to trade amps (lose money) to buy the new amp and keep doing the same thing over and over year after year.

The GAS is not real, it's just your mind playing games with you, it's an expensive game that you can never win...but it's a fun game, that's why we play it.

Think about it, you can tell your wife (if you're married).
    Babe, I'm telling you this Kemper thingy is like a savings plan, it's like I'm putting money away every month into a savings account...if you let me buy a Kemper we'll be saving money. :thumbup:

The Kemper is a GAS killer!!!...that's why you should own a Profiler. :thumbup: