Question for Les Paul Owners

• I put a "Vitamin Q" capacitor in my LP and the roll off is so much more usable now. Great and very cheap alteration of the standard cap. I think the buzz on "bumblebee" cab, which is what most will say to put in, is a bit hype. Mostly because Gibson's BB today just look like one, but are actually not paper and wax. Heck, a simple ol' Russian paper and wax is fine, but any of them are better than the standard cap in yours. You might already have that upgrade as It seem the previous owner replaced the rod cover with a blank.

BTW, as far as "playability" and "action" goes, my Music Man Axis Sport is the bomb. Amazing. But then again, I think it's based (laser'd version) of Van Halen's home made guitar.

If you ever get a chance, and you are near enough to Cali to probably see that Obispo manufacturer's stuff around, pick one up and feel it's action. Fun guitar. They sell the "Super Axis Sport" now, but I like the pre "super" versions for some reason. I have the MM90 version, as they make really good P90 pickups, but only sell them with their guitars, bummer.

• I put a "Vitamin Q" capacitor in my LP and the roll off is so much more usable now. Great and very cheap alteration of the standard cap. I think the buzz on "bumblebee" cab, which is what most will say to put in, is a bit hype. Mostly because Gibson's BB today just look like one, but are actually not paper and wax. Heck, a simple ol' Russian paper and wax is fine, but any of them are better than the standard cap in yours. You might already have that upgrade as It seem the previous owner replaced the rod cover with a blank.

Not into modifying anything at this point. Im loving all the sounds Im hearing. BTW, the guitar came stock the way you see it. :)

• BTW, as far as "playability" and "action" goes, my Music Man Axis Sport is the bomb.

Thats exactly how I feel about my Jackson Soloist. :) I do appreciate that I can have the variety of tones available from the Strat and LP, but I still see the Soloist as my go to guitar because it plays like buttah :thumbup:

• Not into modifying anything at this point. Im loving all the sounds Im hearing. BTW, the guitar came stock the way you see it. :)

I only did it so I could control the rolloff better and match tones better. A lot of famous tones between 1 and 9 for the LP, but they had nice caps. So it's really trying to reproduce what they used to work with. Today, it's like the whole tone changes between 1 and 2, so it's too small a space to consistently reproduce a favored tone. Something to keep in mind for the future. The "mod" takes a person who knows how to solder 1 minute. Real quick and easy peasy.

BTW, they used to also play 100% nickel, so I've gravitated towards those. Also, I think I read Page talk about how they used to get string sets that started at 12, so they moved them to the B string and up and replaced the high E with a Banjo string about 8 to 8.5 in gauge.

I can't say I like 8's, but thats how they played such fast solos and bent so easily in the late 60's early 70's.

If any of that is not correct, update me, Kemperites!

• Something I wanted to tell you back when you were thinking of getting the Strat was that I didn't think the Variax could do a Strat or LP justice, but I didn't want to get into a fight.

Nothing like knowing first hand. But thanks for reporting on the ease of soloing high on your Soloist!

• LOL! I might have agreed with you :) It seems I did come to that conclusion eventually. It still has a lot of other tones to offer that will be "close enough for rock and roll". And surprisingly the Tyler Variax plays as good as the Les Paul in terms of feel and speed.

• Quoted from "mody"Sell em all and get a boutique instrument to your liking. Lots of great luthiers have refined all the classics to perfection.What an odd thing to say. Thanks, I think I will continue to enjoy my selection of guitars.

Agreed! I can understand that to be true if you haven't played a Lentz, etc :)

Peace :D

Edited once, last by mody ().