Recording through Direct out and Cables

• Hi Everyone.

First of all, i'm sure somewhere are some threads about this, but i couldn't get much of what was discussed,

I was trying out my brand new Kemper Profiling Amp the whole day and I'd like to replace my old Recording things with the Kemper, as far as possible. I am using Logic to record and i couldn't figure out the right settings and cable inputs/outputs through my interface and the kemper amp. It became quite frustrating and confusing after messing around for hours. :cursing:

So here are the things I need to know:

- How to get the Dry and Wet signal separated, from the Kemper to Logic
    - What Output Source settings to use on the Kemper
    - How to get the right volume (it seems that i can't control the volume on the kemper. Only on my interface it makes a difference)
    - Where to put which cables

If anyone can help me out with a simple step by step instruction, that would be great!
    Thanks in advance ! ! :thumbup:

• I'd use a Lehle P-Split and two Inputs of my Audio Interface to catch direct Sound and Kemper sound.
    As an output I'd use the Main Outputs of the Kemper (Stereo or switched to Mono in the output Section)
    You can link / unlink / set the output volume after Pressing the output - button and adjust as needed
    Put the Cables in the right place.... ;)

• i always separate the spdif out of the kemper into mono channels into my DAW.. its (SPDIF) a stereo output but I split them on the DAW side... it makes it easier for me to reamp and do playback of the tracks that I record ... I can just play left side or just right side when doing mono.. so if I want a guitar DI sound, no amp.. the right side or in my case channel 16 or if I want guitar with amp sound no effects, I use the left side or channel 15.. ( so I set my kemper spdif outs to channels 15 and 16 on my board (DAW).. doesn't matter which two you set them too, just remember what you recorded where for reamping..

I record both the spdif outputs and the main outputs during recording... you don't have too, I just do it for convenience. so my Kemper Master is set to Output Sources: Main Out - Master Stereo (you can choose many variations here based on your particular style of engineering preferences); SPDIF Out - Git/Stack, this gets me raw guitar DI on one track and Stack output (no reverb/echo) on the other.

If you choose to not use the SPDIF's it's the same process for analog processing... just set the Main Outputs the way you'd like to record them, guitar/studio or with effects as master stereo...

it's weird at first... but once you get the hang of it... it's easy and fun to test different guitar sounds out...
    best of luck!

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Thanks for the fast replies!!

Right now i don't have the cables for SPDIF, and i don't know how to put them to my interface or Mac :P

Somehow I got it installed like this at the moment:

1. Direct Output -> Interface Input 1 (Dry)
    2. Monitor Output -> Interface Input 2 (Wet)

The Output Source settings on the Kemper look like this:

Main Output: Off
    Monitor Output: Stack
    Direct Output: Git Analog
    SPDIF Output: Off

Does that look kinda right ike it would work or is it a huge facepalm?

I actually have no idea how i made it work that the Wet and Dry signals are both hearable in Logic. However, i can now regulate the Monitor Volume, but not the Direct Volume. Why is that? The Dry signal is still too loud even though i got it on the lowest volume on my interface.

Sorry, I'm completely overwhelmed by those out and inputs at the moment. I feel really stupid for just changing up some settings whithout knowing what i'm doing :(

• 1. What's your interface? The Kemper has coaxial SPDIF jacks, which use the same connector as the typical red/white RCA cables on your stereo - in fact, you can use a normal pair of RCA cables to make the connection, although a proper SPDIF will have slightly higher signal quality if you're enough of a nerd to hear the difference. I can't.

2. You can't adjust the direct volume because, on the Kemper, the direct output (and anything set to a Git source, I think) is literally just spitting out whatever your guitar puts in without any sort of processing in between. If this is too loud for your interface then you might want to play with the Clean Sense in your Input settings. You want to have it adjusted so that the little input light on the upper-left of the Kemper never goes red, and only goes yellow when you play really hard.

• 1. What's your interface? The Kemper has coaxial SPDIF jacks, which use the same connector as the typical red/white RCA cables on your stereo - in fact, you can use a normal pair of RCA cables to make the connection, although a proper SPDIF will have slightly higher signal quality if you're enough of a nerd to hear the difference. I can't.

2. You can't adjust the direct volume because, on the Kemper, the direct output (and anything set to a Git source, I think) is literally just spitting out whatever your guitar puts in without any sort of processing in between. If this is too loud for your interface then you might want to play with the Clean Sense in your Input settings. You want to have it adjusted so that the little input light on the upper-left of the Kemper never goes red, and only goes yellow when you play really hard.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I got a Presonus Audiobox with only 2 inputs.
    Hmm i still don't have those SPDIF cables laying around here because i use monitors with XLR cables :D
    That's interesting about volume of the direct output. Although the input is fine on my kemper amp how it is, if i change it, the input signal to the interface is still the same.. Still too loud :(

• so yeah I have an audiobox that I use when I travel sometimes.. I use it to catch vox and bass or keys in individual small sessions and hotel rooms. though itis fine for recording the kemper,it's not very practical for for reamping as it has two inputs and two outputs that go to the monitors, but it does have a headphone output! so when reamping, you can use the main outputs for the returns/mains from the kemper, to go back to the board inputs. but you're having to monitor with the headphone outputs.. pretty tight but it may work. I haven't tried it... might have to one day for fun.

Gettin' funky up in here..