Kemper spdif in uad apollo twin ?

• Hi, thinkin of bying a uad apollo twin, but not shure how it works with spdif connections to the Kemper.. Anybody out there who knows?
    Thanks!
    Martin

• from what I've gathered... it has an optical input which can be converted to a spdif input... but it has no means of spdif output..

i believe guenterhaas used the UAD AT.. he should be able to provide how he uses his.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• The UAD Apollo Twin doesn't have cinch S/PDIF-jacks, but it offers an optical ADAT connection:

"What kind of I/O does Apollo Twin have?Apollo has two total analog inputs — selectable from two digitally controlled analog mic preamps / line inputs, or a front-panel high impedance instrument input on Channel 1. It has six total analog outputs, including two balanced line outs, two digitally-controlled analog monitor outs, and one dedicated stereo headphone out. It also features an Optical input, adding 8 digital channels of ADAT or two channels of S/PDIF."

Probably you'll need a S/PDIF to ADAT-converter.

Anyway I would suggest to use the excellent preamp-section of the Apollo, I always use my KPA analog, either straight into my channelstrip (DTC Dual Tube Channel) or straight into the Apollo inputs.

Here's a detailed information about the Twin
    , it's a very, very good interface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Thanks a bunch for the help!! Il probably go analog,
    If the sound dont change too much.
    Cheers!

• Thanks a bunch for the help!! Il probably go analog,
    If the sound dont change too much.
    Cheers!

Not at all, the KPA sounds great recorded analog, here are a few of my Kemper-demos:

- Funky Cat

- Floydstein

- Mr. Diezel

- Monster In The House

- Jimi-Jam

All guitar-tracks are from the KPA recorded analog, the Apollo Twin is a great interface, nero-zero-latency and excellent converters. You can also use the UAD-plugins (it comes with a free bundle) and play guitars directly with amp-plugins (f.e. Softube), sounds great, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Hi, thinkin of bying a uad apollo twin, but not shure how it works with spdif connections to the Kemper.. Anybody out there who knows?
    Thanks!
    Martin

I have had an Apollo twin since January of this year when they were released. It is a fantastic unit and the quality of it is superb. I run my KPA into it via the analog inputs. Works great and sounds even better.

• Looking forward to hearing how things go!

The little silver box arrived yesterday, it works really well!
    It's literally unbranded, with a very modest wall wart for power.

Set the clock to SPIDF at 44.1kHz.

Any difference is tone is negligible, I was monitoring on a Sennheiser HD800.
    If I had to compare sample rates 96 sounds mildly more airy on analog.
    If I was to be critical I'd say there's an added muddiness with the analog,
    one could even say warmer, but this is really cork sniffery territory.

Did a parallel record, the twin is very cool since it's a 4 channel IN with the SPIDF!
    Could see the latency on the wave curve zoomed in, the analog signal is a tad behind.

I'm very happy with the results, the UA twin sounds just as good at at 44.1kHz!

The trade off if your OCDing is still worth it for the lack of latency, I really can't believe this is all actually happening!

• Do you use/prefer XLRs or 1/4" from the Main Output into the Apollo Twin? Looking into a Apollo Twin.Many thanks,

I think the 1/4" is quieter since it forces internal routing to it's "LINE" IN vs the XLR forcing the Microphone route to "Preamp" but from my reading on forums, the LINE IN on the Twins are not true LINE IN and still go through part of if not all of the Preamp section anyways? I don't understand, but someone confirmed that only the Apollo 8 and up offer true LINE IN.

There can be a difference in noise level from XLR->1/4" assuming your 1/4" are not balanced (Mono cables) so use balanced cables if you go 1/4".

I hear a much truer signal through S/PDIF into the OPTICAL IN (coaxial RCA input) vs 1/4" but a converter is required for that.

Btw, if you go "up" to the Apollo 8 you can use straight up RCA cables (and you should because even with a converter the Optical IN's don't take S/PDIF, only ADAT)

The general idea on audio interfaces for the Kemper is: Digital is preferred, LINE IN your second choice but the Preamp section is not preferred under any circumstances.

• hi guys can some one explain me why I' m receiving back from kemper a dry non processed signal. my set up is made witha biirectiona spdif to coaxial converter...it's weird because i can record a master stereo signal from the spdif imputs (processsed sigal) but when it comes to use spdif imputs in the apollo to receive reamp signal its only delivers and record a all dry signal

some advice??

• hi guys can some one explain me why I' m receiving back from kemper a dry non processed signal. my set up is made witha biirectiona spdif to coaxial converter...it's weird because i can record a master stereo signal from the spdif imputs (processsed sigal) but when it comes to use spdif imputs in the apollo to receive reamp signal its only delivers and record a all dry signal

some advice??

Check the output section, there it will tell you what the output spdif will send, if you have guitar + stack, you will send a raw guitar signal and the line output equivalent, play with that. Also, in your interface, check which input you are recording, there should be 2 mono spdif signals coming, spdif is "stereo" capable per se.

The answer is 42

• I would actually advise against using an SPDIF optical to RCA converter.

For one thing, they always seem to mess up the digital timing.

Another thing, they are not very reliable. I have bought two sets, and find they are very finicky when it comes to having all digital information get through without screwing it up. That is with an Apollo 8p. It would work sometimes, and other times, I'd be wondering wtf went wrong.

In that respect, timing for digital signals is crucial. Those converter boxes are hit and miss.

Just use the analog. It works fine. If you are worried, buy better 1/4" cables, but even that is unnecessary.