Alto TS110 vs Yamaha DXR

• So I'm a new KPA user. Formally a tube amp snob, hobby amp builder since 2002 and 45 years of playing experience. So my first speaker selection was an Alto TS110A. A pair was less than one DXR and it had some good reviews. They sounded good in the home studio.

However, I used the pair last weekend in an outdoor theater with a less than desirable house PA - so I had to drive the two speakers to be heard. This is not their best use, they sound fine with clean sounds but lose it in the upper registers on overdriven sounds (unmusical comes to mind).

So I picked up a DXR10,...wow, what an improvement. It reproduces guitar amp sounds in an extremely realistic way. I will pick up another for my stereo rig.

I wanted other "newbies" to know my experience.

• Hello and welcome on board jlatrace! :thumbup:

Yes, the Yamaha DXR10 sound extraterrestrial good! I've tried a lot of different setups but the DXR 10 are the sound and the value for money unbeatable!

Play it like you mean it.

• I got exactly the same experience :)

I tested a dxr 12, a peavey impulse 12d, the alto and a tbox pyrit.
    The dxr seriously beat them all :D

• The DXR series is one of the best values out there. Much nicer sounding than the Alto to my ears.

My only beef is the finish. My Yamaha DSR112s have a nearly bullet proof finish. Wish they would have raised the price of the DXR's $10.00 and gave them the premium finish :(

• Same here, love my DXR10!

Duesenberg CC Fullerton, Heritage H535, Guild Starfire 4 ST, Fender American Standard Strat and Tele, Taylor 816CE, Fender Precision bass, Suhr Badger 35 Amp Head, 1x12 cab w/Scumback M75, 1x12 cab w/Celestion G12m-65 Creamback, Fractal Audio Systems AX8, 2 DXR10's, Kemper Profling Amp, Presonus Studio One 3 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Vox AC15, Vox NT G2 and more pedals than I should own.

• What's wrong with the finish?

Hi Ingolf,

Higher end speakers like the DSR, SRX, etc, have a very durable external coating which resists scratches and marks in all but the most extreme abuse. They tend to stay looking new even after you move them for years.

The DXR finish is just not quite as nice ..... although I find it to be much better than the EV LIve X speakers which have a finish that marks up at the slightest grazing with another hard surface.

Yamaha calls their premium external finish "Line-X(r)".

• I went with the EV ZLX 12P about 6 months ago, they were a bit cheaper and the sound is fine but after 100+ shows they look like a pair of bad B movie props lol. I guess the finish is where I saved the money.

• The DXR 10 is my choice too and I'm loving it.

Duesenberg CC Fullerton, Heritage H535, Guild Starfire 4 ST, Fender American Standard Strat and Tele, Taylor 816CE, Fender Precision bass, Suhr Badger 35 Amp Head, 1x12 cab w/Scumback M75, 1x12 cab w/Celestion G12m-65 Creamback, Fractal Audio Systems AX8, 2 DXR10's, Kemper Profling Amp, Presonus Studio One 3 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Vox AC15, Vox NT G2 and more pedals than I should own.

• Hi OneEng1,

I think you're right, the surface of the DXR10 is extremely sensitive. My DXR looked after a few weeks on the road already very bleak. Here is my professional solution to transport the box well. Not cheap but very effective and at the same time a perfect stand for the Kemper. A perfect all in one solution :thumbup:

Play it like you mean it.