Where to address a complaint about trolls and members insulting others?

• I just put "Kempafun" on my ignore-list (the first one since I'm I'm a member), because his behaviour is far away from the "netiquette ". He is insulting everybody in an aggressive and unacceptable way.

If somebody is just insulting members like this guy does from the beginning, is there a way to address a complaint?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Günter, I guess you can, and should, press the report button.
    Indeed it is unacceptable behaviour, but it has happened in the past, and hopefully will be sorted out by the swarm intelligence here alone.
    That said, incidents like this call for more strict moderation than is executed right now, IMO.

• Günter, I guess you can, and should, press the report button.
    Indeed it is unacceptable behaviour, but it has happened in the past, and hopefully will be sorted out by the swarm intelligence here alone.
    That said, incidents like this call for more strict moderation than is executed right now, IMO.

Thanks for the info ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• wow, sorry to hear that. I always felt that this forum is one of the most supportive and helpful places for its users and music.

I hope this is a single incident

G

Not a big problem, it's just one single nagger... ;) Show me one forum without trolls... anyway, this forum is great :thumbup:

• I agree with Ingolf that the forum (swarm) can deal with these incidents. He (Ingolf) very politely put him in his place. I was probably a little over the top in my comment. That said, I (personally) dislike moderators intefering with posts for a number of reasons. On an international board there are language difference and English has a lot of subtle nuances that can be misinterpreted (God knows that I struggle speaking just English and if I were to post here in German or French I would probably be banned! Or laughed off the forum!). There are also different tolerances to certain language - some people were really offended when one person used the word 'fuck' in a profile name while others were offended that some had complained about it. And sometimes people just need to vent about a problem and post to the forum and it could lead to a positive resolution but if a thin skinned moderator jumped in it takes that place to vent away (for instance there is one moderator who keeps jumping in and closing threads about Mac vs PC where I (personally) feel that if people really want to discuss it endlessly more power to them). Unless a post is racist, spam or in someway illegal I feel it should be left alone. But again, that is just me.

Edited once, last by SwAn1 ().

• Unless a post is racist, spam or in someway illegal I feel it should be left alone. But again, that is just me.

I always like to respond first, if I see that it's hopeless, it's the best way (for me) to ignore the following posts. In this special case it was different, because this guy was strongly bashing Andy ("should get a better player for you demos..", "your profiles are bad" etc.). Posts like this could damage his business for new users, who don't know Andy's excellent work.

But like is said, unacceptable bashing gladly is an exception in this outstanding forum. ;)

• I think it's important that everyone knows they are entitled to voicing their opinion - i think even Andy would prefer that people talk about him rather than not, even if not all talk is good, and i think that the fact that this upsets so many here is testimony to Andy's work.

I didn't read the aforementioned thread, though, so i don't know.
    Being blunt, critical or even dismissive isn't the same as being abusive.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I didn't read the aforementioned thread, though, so i don't know.

You should do that. ;) Here's just one post:

"Yeah real great story, do you play Back in the corners covers...if you ask me TAF FRIEDMAN profiles sucks!!...i cant find some THE CULT OR VAN HALEN OR AC DC or something else from those profiles...REAL f... suck kinda Shadows apache profiles..ufff (he need better guitar player to make profiles) :evil: :!: :thumbdown:"

There's a big difference between being critical and bashing, the thread was about a TAF-profile I really like (Morgan Dual 40).

• I agree guenter... if you can't say something nice or positive... maybe just leave it alone.. of course one should be able to express the negative side of their feelings about any given subject.. and I think we've found constructive ways to get our points across on various subject matter here in kemperland.. but the bashing of an individual is not acceptable in any given case.. some people are just too podunk and insipid to respond in a meaningful manner.

on the positive side.. Andy gets tons of love in this house... one would be hard pressed to find overwhelming evidence of negative based reviews or opinions of his work.. his profiles are excellent as his professionalism.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Everything's fine. ;) We all have to handle negative response from others, mostly they come from personal frustration and envy.

Like I said, 99% of all members here are great, we're talking about a total exception, but here in Germany we have the saying "Wehret den Anfängen" (something like "a stitch in time saves nine"). ;)

• I don't think language differences here cause ANY misunderstandings.
    I understand the intent of non-native speakers of English here perfectly well.

Compared to other forums, this one is very liberal and friendly.

I think of it like a Futbol game with/without referee's:
    Without the Official, each person is judged by everyone else, and therefore they moderate themselves to better behavior.
    With the Official, some try to get away with breaking the rules, leaving it to the Official to moderate them. A much rougher game.

• The internet is a buffer. Some people have little to no social skills and if the interaction with real people is not developed early then social media and the internet sites are more hazardous than good in helping and/or developing social skills. Personal relationships and the benefits from interaction on a personal level are dropping off and therefore the consideration of others becomes a thing of the past...........I have a saying for such people and their interaction that I've borrowed...The more people I meet the more I like my dog :thumbup: .

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• The internet is a buffer. Some people have little to no social skills and if the interaction with real people is not developed early then social media and the internet sites are more hazardous than good in helping and/or developing social skills.

+1

• There is people here from all around the world. Something considered impolite in some countries could be ok in some other countries.

I have seen many tense situations due to this. For example, in Spain, something like "could you please...?" is often expressed in an imperative way and without using "please" and this is not considered impolite. You can walk into a bar and say "¡Ponme una cerveza!" and no one will be offended.

Edited once, last by pacocito ().

• This. I perfectly remember George McFly in the bar saying "Gimme a milk!" :D :D

On a more serious note, we Southern Europeans consider quite redundant structures such as "Should you feel inclined, please feel free to do this...". We usually say "do this". Whether it's courteous or not is deduced from the context.

• I have some concerns about posts in the public forum usually in the Q&A recently along the lines of ...getting a bad sound...etc the OP doesn't or won't give details or respond to the numerous suggestions given in good faith and continues on without trying any advice. Am I being cynical to suggest other motives at play here? . I will stick to the private forum from here on in. I would like to see a bit more moderation earlier in these type of posts ie where should this thread be...and get the OP to interact.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• the OP doesn't or won't give details or respond to the numerous suggestions given in good faith and continues on without trying any advice. Am I being cynical to suggest other motives at play here?

I guess that part of being in a family of sorts, it can happen to the best of us.. I believe that the OP has moved on to new gear as a resolution to his issue and has offered an apology/explanation in his post. Probably time to move on, at least for me.

Gettin' funky up in here..