New FactalAudio floorboard

• The idea of an FX loop is to insert the effects between the preamp and the power amp section of an amp to prevent the effects from distorting. The more gain you use the more audible the benefit becomes. What differs from amp to amp though it the return point of the loop. Some amps have the return after the master volume control of the amp. If you insert additional noise from an effects device or use a cheap cable, the additional noise is amplified with the full power amp output. Very nasty.

I now know about this loopy stuff! Thank You!!

• I think Cliff and Fractal will do well with the product, especially for guitarists who are still gigging their tube amps.
    I don't think it will be a big seller in the Kemper community because the Kemper FX are stellar and all FX are covered...the Kemper foot controller will be the final piece of the puzzle for an all in one Kemper solution...even though the final piece of the puzzle is already covered by all other midi controllers that work with the Kemper.

• Cliff :
    "It can do that but it can't do the two-way comms that the Axe-Fx II uses. It can operate as a BASIC midi controller but it's not nearly as capable as an MFC. If all you need is PC, CC and expression then, yes, it can do that."

IMHO is this clever!
    Not overlapping features between the controller, AxeFX and this new FX8.

This thing includes all we need to control tube amps - and adds all the effects ever needed.
    ... and in addition gives basic control for the KPA and adds a lot of new effects.

If all you need is a great controller for the KPA (and no additional effects) then the upcoming Kemper controller will be much better because it will support two way communication, one wire for all connections (incl. power) a great display ....

And when CK is clever he will include the missing effects in the next update:
    -spring reverb
    -second delay
    -some shimmer and crystals effects

... and then all we ever need for the KPA is the KPA controller.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The different options for placement of FX - in (pre), out (pre), in (post) and out (post) -- seems to address a lot of the concerns on whether you'd have to use this thing exclusively in the amp loop or in front of the amp. Very clever.

Looks like my guess about midi was completely wrong! Seems like this would be a really interesting floorboard. I wonder what it will cost.

• Not much in Europe probably, but I'd expect figures roughly proportional to the Axe's userbase.

You think so? This seems not logical to me.
    Why should an Axe user want one?
    I see the user base more in the conservative guitarists' camp that want a handful of boutique high class FX to use with their amps.
    And therefore IMO it could actually be more successfull with the FX8 costing roughly the same as 3-4 Strymon units.

• No, sorry, did not mean all the Axe users would buy one. I was just thinking of the amount of people potentially interested in this product (even tho some Axe user has already stated they will buy one LOL).

:)

• I was in the market for an Eventide Eclipse a few years ago and bought the AXE ULTRA instead and loved the effects.

I should think that would be the market. These are top notch effects, cheaper than most other professional guitar effects units of this caliber.

And since many don't trust Amp modeling but do trust digital effects, it might have a sizable market but for the fact that there is weak advertisement and only one retailer (isn't that correct?). Fractal should market it through multiple retailers.

• I don't think so.

1) No software editor is coming, which is key for such a device
    2) The KPA Interface is the MO of this company. They aren't going to ditch it.
    3) While Kemper wants you to NOT be a slob, they still won't force you to tie your shoes every time you need to change a setting.
    4) Kemper knows that it's older guys who can afford their stuff, and over 40 year olds can't see LCD displays 5-6' away.
    5) Kemper wants you to express your artistry though profiling. Selling a Kemper without the profiling ability is like selling a painting set without the brushes.

I also think selling such a dumbed down version would cast a negative opinion on the initial unit, which frankly, is perfect.

• Valid points. But I would be interested in a floorboard version that had the same abilities as the lunchbox/rack version just no amp. Large LCD display (Maybe a HDMI out so the older guys can see it on a bigger screen :D )