Kemper Reamping sounds werid

• Hi everyone, I have just got my kemper, and I am really enjoying it. After few weeks playing around with this amazing machine, I am moving onto the reamping.

I am doing the reamping via the 2 SPDIF cables. I am just wondering have anyone experience about this?

My chain is

1) Recording
    Guitar -> Kemper (Output GIT/ Mod Mono) -> SPDIF OUT -> Motu Ultralite mk3 -> DAW (Logic X)

I am have created 3 tracks, one is dry, one is wet for monitoring and the last one is for reamping
    [Blocked Image: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/UxJk3aZQvxcfTH0xvSFwdCpSKk2OxYmE3zejsa6mZRAYnqzL3Q0jleuwnSH4QmprqOTfOljw678]

2) Reamping

I have created a reamping track

Dry track -> Motu Ultralite SPDIF OUTput -> Kemper Input (SPDIF input reamp) -> Kemper Ouput (Master stereo output) -> SPDIF output -> Motu Ultralite -> Logic

I can get the sound in the reamping. It is basically sort of working.
    However, the sound quality is very strange. It doesn't have any punchy and seems like not processed. In addition, it is lack of gain and headroom feeling.
    I have compared the wet track and the reamped track. It is so much different even using the same profile.

Do you guys have any idea how to do this reamping properly.

Regards,

Lune

Edited 5 times, last by lune ().

• First off, try to eliminate the variables by using the same "signal out" when reamping - i.e., you say you use Git/mono mod on the spdif out during tracking. Try to reamp using the same, and see if it makes a difference. That way you can also see SOME potential level mismatches - i.e., compare the levels of the NEW dry track with the old dry track (provided this is possible to get when reamping through spdif?).

Eidt: I see you record to a mono track, not a stereo track, even though you say the kemper puts out master stereo through the spdif. This may not be optimal.

• uld have to be only g

Assuming you're talking about recording the DI track before getting to the reamping bit: No, the OP records to two mono tracks; one is the Git, the other is the mod mono. This is fine.

If you mean something else, please disregard this post :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick respond, this forum is so helpful and all the kemper users are very keen to help up each other. It is appreciated.

@Michael_dk Yes, I am using DI input(Git track) for reamping only.

• I had the same problem, I'm guessing your output level is set too low on your interface and/or daw.

Your output levels need to be set to 0dB on both on the motu and your daw.

Thanks for the tips, I believe that I was setting both DAW and MOTU as 0 dB level. I will try again tonight. Take some print screen.

Thank you so much.

• You should use the Reamping sens parameter in the input section to adjust the signal that is coming back from the DAW into your Profiler. The recorded track is coming from your DAW with a line level opposed to the guitar signal that you were sending to the Profiler through the front input.. The Reamping sens parameter is there to compensate for this difference.

• Hi Guys,

I have finally kind of get it working. I have turned the Distortion Sens and Reamps Sens all the way up. In addition, I have also increased the input level of the SPDIF lnput.

It is kind of matching the Wet track now, but I should say they are not sounding exactly the same, but it is very close.

I will post a Detail instruction for those users who are having the same setup as me.

Thanks very much.

Lune

• I think I am having this same problem. It doesn't seem like you should have to turn dist sens and reamp sens all the way up. When I do that it gets closer but still does not sound right. I posted a thread about it in the troubleshooting section.

• Would you be able to send me the thread link. As there is certainly a difference between kemper direct record and the reamping recording.

Kemper sounds thick and fat. Reamping just missing something.

Thanks

Lune

• Reamping sounds identical to direct in for me, I still think your output levels are not set correctly and you're getting a weak signal when reamping since you need to use the distortion sense to compensate.

EDIT: Actually I take that back, did some experimenting and I had to boost the DI track in daw about +6dB to get the same sound as the direct in track.

• Thanks for the clips. It seems pretty good in your case.
    In my reamping it is pretty bad. If I leave Distortion Sens and Reamps Sens 0dB, it would sound really bad....

I have to turn the distortion sens and reamp sens pretty hard to compensate the signal lost...

• make sure your interface is sending out the DI track at 'full volume'
    just having the fader of that track @ 0dB sometimes isn't enough.

with the Focusrite Mix Control software, for example, you have to shift-click the output track to make the send level independent from the Monitor/Master volume control.

• make sure your interface is sending out the DI track at 'full volume'
    just having the fader of that track @ 0dB sometimes isn't enough.

Yup. The comparison was recorded with the interface output, daw master fader and DI track volume all at 0dB. Boosting the DI track in daw to +6dB produced identical results to guitar -> front input. (Using ESI U24XL which only has software controls btw). DI track was recorded through s/pdif as well. EDIT: Did another test and the identical result is closer to +10dB boost on the DI track.

Obviously this is an issue with just proper gain staging, but it would be nice if the s/pdif DI out level would match correctly to begin with. :)

Should be easy to fix by making the s/pdif DI output level adjustable, you could just set it and forget it. Looks like it's grayed out in the Output menu now when I'm using s/pdif output.