Is switching slots in performance mode too slow?

• Hello everyone. When I'm changing slots via MIDI in performance mode, there's a noticeable gap (silence) before the next slot is loaded. Is this normal?

I have been using a POD XT to date and switching between banks have been always smooth and unnoticeable, that's why I cannot believe that such a monster as Kemper struggles that much when changing slots.

Have you experienced this gap with your profiler? If so, have you managed to avoid or improve it?

Thank you!!

• Same here. Really long gap when switching. Too long to use the kpa live when swichting. I'm using a FCB with the uno4kemper chip. Don't really know why the long gap. Some people use the same board and have no problems at all. Really frustrating but what can you do

• Same here. Really long gap when switching. Too long to use the kpa live when swichting. I'm using a FCB with the uno4kemper chip. Don't really know why the long gap. Some people use the same board and have no problems at all. Really frustrating but what can you do

my FCB with the Uno4Kemper chip fitted changes fine but maybe the KFC when it is released will have a quicker change

• Changing slots is slow, and its bad. I'm not sure but I feel like is slower since 2.4 firmware. I didnt notice it previous to update my lunchbox. Obviously for owners that only use their Kempers for recording or for bedroom practice this is no issue, but for people like me that are using the Kemper in live shows this is very important, and hope that soon be solved.

• This has been discussed before, i too doubt it's going to be addressed.
    It's a PITA, really, and i've been struggling with it live since it came out.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• It might be useful if anyone with recording software could measure the actual length of the gap on their setup, just to see if we're all getting drastically different times.

I'm seeing about 0.025s here.

That's a good idea and after doing that, I have discovered that the problem is not the silence when switching slots (depending on the slot, I'm getting from 0,005s to 0,020s of silence).

The ACTUAL problem is how slow the profiler reacts when you tell it to change slots either from a MIDI controller or by pressing the soft buttons.

That's a huge problem to me since I change slots by following my rhythm. With the profiler, I miss always the next beat and that's something that didn't happen with a very old POD XT!!

Does the profiler struggles THAT much when changing slots? I think that it should have enough power to do it better than a shitty POD released 10 years ago.

Any ideas?

• Wow! I have been using my Kemper rack live for the last month. I didn't notice enough of a lag for it to be a problem for me, but then again, I don't think I do any changes that require instant reaction either.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to measure the complete delay (from a mechanical push button to sound change on the Kemper)?

What kind of use cases are you guys doing that makes this delay a problem? I haven't noticed enough of a delay in how our gigs run to notice it myself.

Maybe it will now bother me since I read this thread!!!

Gee. Thanks guys ;)

• My measurement was just looking at the visible gap in an audio recording as I switched patches. Lag from when you actually push the button... I guess you could set up a mic right above the footswitch to capture your foot smacking it and then compare that signal with a recording from the Kemper to see how long it takes from pressing the button until the next patch loads.

As for where it's an issue, anything with a faster tempo is going to run into this. Metal, for instance, might call for switching from clean to high-gain right at the start of a bar with the drums and bass coming in at the same time. If the Kemper's timing is off, you lose a lot of that transition's impact. Like I said above, switching a tad earlier (on the 4 and, say) is usually enough, but it's something most real amp players don't have to worry about.

• My measurement was just looking at the visible gap in an audio recording as I switched patches. Lag from when you actually push the button... I guess you could set up a mic right above the footswitch to capture your foot smacking it and then compare that signal with a recording from the Kemper to see how long it takes from pressing the button until the next patch loads.

As for where it's an issue, anything with a faster tempo is going to run into this. Metal, for instance, might call for switching from clean to high-gain right at the start of a bar with the drums and bass coming in at the same time. If the Kemper's timing is off, you lose a lot of that transition's impact. Like I said above, switching a tad earlier (on the 4 and, say) is usually enough, but it's something most real amp players don't have to worry about.

Great idea. Thanks!

It is true that real amp players don't have to worry about this; however, if they use any EFX units, they may.

My old RP2120 had two processors and the ability to let the efx of the previous patch ring out after you switched to the new one. It also had a single cable for send, receive and power which I do miss.

Still, the Kemper is soooo much more in tone and capability that the additional hookup doesn't really bother me.

Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to do your experiment. If I do, I'll post here the results.

• I beliebe the delay isn't consistent - it varies slightly. Haven't tested yet.

Either way, at the moment it's the Profiler's greatest downside, for me.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Using the setup suggested by Lokasenna (one channel recording on the foot switch with a mic, the other using the output of the Kemper), I measured the following times:

foot
    sound
    Direction
    Lag

LH

HL

LH

HL

LH

Average

StdDev

The direction was Light to heavy patch or heavy to light patch. The light patch was the standard Chorused Surface patch and the heavy patch was a Boogie MARKIIC off of the rig exchange.

The firmware version is 2.4.2.9817. I used performance mode. The light patch was in slot 1 while the heavy patch was in slot 5.

I am using a Behringer FCB1010 with the Uno4Kemper chip version 1.3a.

I think that <0.2 seconds is fairly acceptable in all situations that I perform under. Of course, faster would be better.

If anyone is interested in the raw track ".wav" files, let me know.

FYI, the "dead time" between rigs was only around 10mSec. I didn't see any transients in the switch-over at all.

• Great post! Thanks for investigating and testing! It's good to have some real numbers to put things in to perspective.

For what it's worth, I used to have a Marshall Anniversary 6100LM head with the accompanying midi footswitch, and switching between the three channels was instantaneous. I sold it when my band broke up, but then some years later we reformed for a one-off concert. I couldn't get the same head, so used a three-channel Marshall JCM 2000 for the gig, and the lag when switching channels was unbearable and really messed with my playing so much that I didn't enjoy the gig half as much as I otherwise would have. I've played live with the Kemper quite a number of times now, and although I'm not playing the same style of music as back then, the switching and the lag hasn't thrown me off much at all. It took me maybe all of 5 minutes during the first soundcheck for me to acclimatise myself to it, but since then I haven't even thought about it.

Cheers,
    Sam