Mix on Wah?

• I was using the wah on my lead profile today which is high gain and a fair bit of delay. I noticed that I was getting some really over the top warbling that I couldn't control with the wah pedal....pretty much out of control.....I tried playing with the mix, that was set to 100% and progressively reduced it to 0% and the wah is much more like a 'normal' pedal.

What does the mix do? If it is the balance of dry to wet sound then on 0% the wah shouldn't function at all?

Thanks,
    Andy

• I was using the wah on my lead profile today which is high gain and a fair bit of delay. I noticed that I was getting some really over the top warbling that I couldn't control with the wah pedal....pretty much out of control.....I tried playing with the mix, that was set to 100% and progressively reduced it to 0% and the wah is much more like a 'normal' pedal.

What does the mix do? If it is the balance of dry to wet sound then on 0% the wah shouldn't function at all?

Thanks,
    Andy

That's unclear to me as well, actually. I just checked the manual and found nothing regarding the mix.

• According to the manual at 0% you get no effect (this includes the WAH stomp). I use my WAHs with high gain and never hear the warbling you are talking about. I use it in position D with a noise gate in slot A and sometimes a booster in slot B. Would like to hear what your setting are to see if I could reproduce your issue. Below is the manual s explaination of the Mix parameter for all stomps:

Mix
    Controls the amount of effect in the signal. At the default setting of 100% you get the most intense effect.
    With some effects, such as Wah or Compressor – only the effect signal is audible at the 100% position to
    give the strongest effect. With other effects, typically modulation effects like flanger or phaser, the dry signal
    is still in the mix for maximum interference with the effect signal.
    When MIX is at 0% you will hear no effect. The MIX control is scaled to perfection individually per effect,
    so there is no volume drop or boost at the 50% position. Some effects, such as the Air Chorus, don’t offer
    a MIX control, as this would contradict the character of the effect.

• So I tweaked my Kemper today ready for the gig tomorrow - and tried the wah....nothing......having restarted it, the mix at zero has stopped the wah from working - as it should....how strange it did nothing at the time.

Anyhow, I put the mix up to 65% or something.

I have an issue that with high gain, it doesn't sound very wah like....more like a single click switch between two tonalities.....on and off......

It's not the pedal calibration.....that's not perfect and needs to be done again (the last inch or so is as though the heel rather than the toe is down).....but it's not the problem.......I just don't get a good wah effect with high gain within the rest of the range.

It works fine with clean and lower gain rigs.

Can anybody suggest any wah settings that work well with high gain?

Thanks,
    Andy

• I use the default cry baby, never changed the settings and I use it with high gain (5different amp types) and even a booster stomp before it at times. Something is going on with yours, it should work fine. If nothing is wrong with the pedal I'd start a support ticket unless someone has a better idea. Good luck.

• Do you use the uno4kemper? I'll recalibrate the pedals tomorrow before the gig. If you get a chance could you take a note of, or photo of your wah settings if it's not too much trouble? By the way. I use it as a touch wah - which I love....

• I have an issue that with high gain, it doesn't sound very wah like....more like a single click switch between two tonalities.....on and off......

It's not the pedal calibration.....that's not perfect and needs to be done again (the last inch or so is as though the heel rather than the toe is down).....but it's not the problem.......I just don't get a good wah effect with high gain within the rest of the range.

I can almost guarantee that this is your range settings. I still don't understand exactly how they work, but it's definitely possible to get them set so that the bit we think of as "wah" is a fairly narrow range in the middle, and as you get the pedal higher the effect gets into frequencies that we can't hear.

My settings, which are close enough to my Crybaby 95Q with a bit of a boost that I'm happy:
    Manual - 3.0
    Peak - 7.3
    Pedal Range - +55%
    Peak Range - -45%
    Mode - Bypass@Heel because it's goddamn awesome with a springloaded pedal
    Mix - 80%
    Ducking - 0.0
    Volume - 0.0

• Sir, you are a gentleman! I shall be trying those settings tomorrow morning before I load the car for the gig :)

Cheers,
    Andy

• My settings were virtually identical. I've re-calibrated the pedals and will see how it behaves later at soundcheck.

I've also got my intermittent issue back where the touch wah triggers briefly when I use the volume pedal - they are not linked in the settings :(

• Where do you have the volume in your chain? If it's before the stomps, the pedal will affect your touch wah.

Volume is post stomps - why would pre-stomps make it affect the wah though? Surely if the wah and volume aren't linked the wah should only trigger when touched?

Cheers,
    Andy

• "Touch" means that it's triggered by your signal volume. If the volume pedal comes before the stomps, then adjusting the pedal is going to affect how strongly your touch wah gets triggered.

Having the pedal post-stomps though... no idea. Sounds like a bug to me.

Thanks - just checked....it's set to Bypass @ Stop. Sorry, I got into the habit of calling it 'touch' as it should only turn on when I touch it......

Still seems like a bug though?

Cheers,
    Andy

• Sounds more like a faulty FCB/EPROM chip to me.
    Could also be a dodgy midi cable.

Cheers,
    Sam

Edit : just read your first post again. No, it sounds like a bug or fault with the Kemper if the mix control wasn't doing what it should. The volume triggering the wah still might be rooted in the controller, however.