More speaker questions....

• I'm a 2 x 12 guitar cab on stage kind of guy......can't get used to the sound of my KPA straight into the PA or a powered cab.....I may get the chance to try something higher quality in the future that works for me......hard to find somewhere to try that in the in UK though.....

With my 2 x 12 cab and Celestion speakers, I think I sometimes hear some unpleasant artefacts....possibly speaker distortion......so I'm wondering about speakers that would still be 'guitar speakers' and have those characteristics of smoothing out harshness in distortion sounds, but would be higher wattage avoiding speaker distortion - and hence suited to my 600W KPA powerhead?

Of course I want my sound to be clear and break through the mix, but I can use EQ for that......generally I much prefer a round / warm sound to anything at all harsh.

Any ideas?

Also, those in the UK, do you know of anywhere that I could take my Kemper in order to try out FRFR monitors that might work for me - and what ones would you suggest?

Although I might need to adapt away from the 'beams of sound" effect I'm used to from my guitar cab, it's more that I so far haven't been able to replicate the "organic" warmth of my profiles through a PA or FRFR cab, as I perceive them through my guitar cab.

So, no dogma here, happy to evolve but need some guidance :)

Cheers,
    Andy

• Hey Andy - you can try andertons, they have a full room with PA speakers you can go try. (if you are near guildford)

Another thing you might want to try if you want that 2x12 feeling, have you still an amp with a FX loop? - if so you can plug your Kemper into that (moniter out, cab sims off) - it feels mighty fine if you do it this way too.. you will prefer to have an amp with a mastervolume else it will get loud quick!..

Good luck!

• Hey Andy - you can try andertons, they have a full room with PA speakers you can go try. (if you are near guildford)

Another thing you might want to try if you want that 2x12 feeling, have you still an amp with a FX loop? - if so you can plug your Kemper into that (moniter out, cab sims off) - it feels mighty fine if you do it this way too.. you will prefer to have an amp with a mastervolume else it will get loud quick!..

Good luck!

Hi,

I got my KPA from Andertons, by post, but may make the journey one day. I already use the internal poweramp with cab sims off so don't see the advantage to using a different poweramp? It's my speakers I'm concerned about....

Cheers,
    Andy

• I'd give RCF monitors a try, I know their ART MKII active speakers get great reviews here and they are very inexpensive so I'm sure you could find a passive one that would fit the bill. RSD Music in Eversley, Hampshire has a showroom where you can demo them if that's close. Good luck!

• I'd give RCF monitors a try, I know their ART MKII active speakers get great reviews here and they are very inexpensive so I'm sure you could find a passive one that would fit the bill. RSD Music in Eversley, Hampshire has a showroom where you can demo them if that's close. Good luck!

Can you let me know an example of the speakers you are thinking of? Googling I only seem to find passive ART speakers at around £800 each...