Using Kemper or Axe Fx Live

• Hi Guys,

I'm Curious to know who here is using an Axe Fx 2 or the Kemper Profiling amp live,

From Clips and reviews both units sound great but usability live isn't something often discussed from what I can tell.

I'd really like to know how you find either in respect to ease of use,
    tweaking on the fly, how they sound in a live band situation, and
    performing with it once you have everything programmed the way you want,
    Also are preset/sound changes seamless?

The Axe FX 2 has the dedicated MFC-101 controller which looks like a
    very versatile and functional piece of kit, requires One single cable to
    control and power it.

The Kemper relies on 3rd party midi controllers or modified EPROMs in a behringer FCB1010.

From What I can tell you still need to power the FCB seperately and use
    2 midi cables (Transmit and receive) for full functionality.

For on the fly changes the Kemper would on the face of it appear to be better there (More dedicated controls)

I'd be using it in a covers band doing most music from Top40 to folk to
    Abba to Pantera, Although I wouldn't intend on using 30 different tones
    for 30 different songs.

My main reason for considering these 2 units is consistent live sound, ease of setup, and most importantly - no tap dancing!!

I have also been considering more pedals and a loop switching system like a gigrig (http://www.thegigrig.com/)
    but the real estate it takes up might be an issue on some of the
    smaller stages we play, and by the time I'd aquire and audtion all the
    pedal and routing options i'd have had an axe fx 2 and MFC bought and
    programmed and probably change left over.

I'd intend on using either the Kemper or Axe FX 2 direct to PA/Monitor without a traditional tubeamp and guitar cab.

Really appreciate any input!

Thanks

• I use my KPA live with my Pink Floyd tribute. We try to capture the album tones, so I have several presets per song and step up/down through presets in sequential order using a simple 2-button mechanical footswitch (or the 2 footswitches on my Roland GR-20, which doubles as a synth and MIDI controller).

I never do on-the-fly changes within a patch except on one tune (On The Run) when I have time to reach over and toggle the FX on/off.

Patch changes are fast enough to be a non-issue for me. It is more noticeable when switching to a harmonizer patch, where there seems to be a volume ramp up after the switch.

Paired with my Atomic CLR it sounds great, certainly closer to my target sounds than any of the boutique amp+pedals rig I've ever used.

• I can only comment on the Kemper, but I've found it to be excellent live. I started out using it like I would a regular tube amp together with my existing pedal board and a guitar cab. However, after my wah died during a soundcheck and I was forced to borrow a Roland expression pedal off the keyboard player to control the wah effect in the Kemper, I really wanted to get a dedicated foot controller and do away with my pedals. The natural progression was to get rid of the cab and switch to something more full range, to take advantage of the different cabs profiled with the amps. It took half a show to really grow accustomed to not having a cab blasting in my back with the sound coming from a wedge on the floor instead, but once I had, I've not looked back (and I have a much better relationship with our FOH guys!).

Cheers,
    Sam

Ps I use a FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper. If you're used to instantaneous switching (like a fair few metal guys are and rely on), it takes a while to get used to the micro delay between the switch being stomped and the sound changing, but for me it's no deal breaker.

• I have had both and never used any live, for whatever reason. Anyway, I can only imagine that dealing with it live is as difficult as in a room tweaking for getting the sound you want: with the Axe it's a pain, with the Kemper a breeze. I don't think I could dare delve in the Axe FX parameters while live, it's just too long and convoluted, but fixing the Kemper is as easy as turning knobs on a real amp (exactly because they made it to resemble the classical amp layout :P )

• I use the KPA weekly in a live setting.

We run in ear monitors so that takes care of the need to carry around cabs/speakers etc.

Using the Liquid Foot+12+ as a foot controller with a single Mission Expression pedal set control volume and wah.

Sounds great, performs well, foot controller is awesome and let's me control whatever I want to.

Ideally I would add a CLR for the locations where in ears are not an option.

Also, the KPA in the carry bag, and a mono dual guitar case that also allows the LF to fit in a pocket, is all carry on for a flight, so it's nice and portable as well.

Sean

• Hi Guys,
    I'm Curious to know who here is using an Axe Fx 2 or the Kemper Profiling amp live,
    From Clips and reviews both units sound great but usability live isn't something often discussed from what I can tell.

Welcome to the forum. Since this is the Kemper forum I'm sure you'll find the vast majority here using kempers. I think I've seen over 50 users here selling their axe fx units to get a kemper after comparing them. Both units perform great live! Plenty of foot controllers to choose from.

There are several threads on this forum about live setup with the kemper if you search around.
    From this thread is also a long list of producers and bands with links to live setups etc. Kemper Amps Artists

Bands / Artists using the Kemper Profiling Amp.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…p?p=17025104#post17025104

Producers using the Kemper Profiler Amp.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…p?p=17025104#post17025104

• I've used the Kemper for about 7 months 120 shows and couldn't be happier with the tones. I will be adding an axe fx to my rack eventually to get more tweakable effects and as a back up if the Kemper goes down. I use a Roland fc300 for midi changes, it's great having 2 expression pedals and it's built like a tank. Good luck and enjoy your Kemper!

• I've used the KPA live for over a year now and it is phenomenal. Prior to that I used an AXE-FX live and it too was great - didn't like how I had to re-dial in my tones with each firmware update though.....really didn't have the time to go through and re-tweak continually.....but it did sound real good. To my ears the Kemper sounds better for the raw amp tones than the AXE. In my experience the KPA is also easier to dial in. AXE certainly has more ability regarding effects. KPA has more than enough effects wise for my purposes though. My signal chain is Guitar - Line 6 G-90 wireless - KPA rack - one of the xlr out's on the KPA goes to my 2 Atomic CLR's for onstage monitoring and the other goes to FOH. I use commercial profiles. For a foot controller I have two Liquidfoot(s) (master and satellite) with mission expression pedals. I have a single 7 pin midi cable coming out of my rack that provides 2 way communication with the KPA as well as power for the LF's. Satellite LF is connected to the master LF with a simple cat 5 cable.

I think an AXE or KPA for live use is terrific:

1.) Both units sound great through FOH
    2.) Both units allow you to achieve a very consistent sound through FOH (as well as on stage monitor mix) regardless of the venue you are playing
    3.) Less weight - easier setup and breakdown than a traditional tube amp rig / pedal board (which is what I used for years prior to starting my virtual journey with the AXE :)

Either will be great. If possible try them both out and see if one works for you.

• I have owned Axe Ultra and Axe II as well as the Kemper.
    You can use them all live with no problem.
    I have decided to stay strictly Kemper and sell the Axe II because I like the amp tones way better.

Same here. I had the Axe II (FW14)..... and for me the amp tones in the KPA were better.

Sold my Axe, and no regrets at all!

• I have no experience with the AXE FX but I'm using the Powered KPA in performance mode for about one year and roundabout 40 shows using:

Guitar -> Wireless -> KPA -> 2x12Guitarbox -> FCB with Uno4 Kemper and 2xBoss Boss FC6 (for switching Delay, Reverb and X-Slot)

Playing small clubs and large stage-venues I get always my sound and I'm very happy and from time to time I get good critics from the audience and/or the P.A.-guys.

FCB with BossFC6 is not the best solution because of the necessary cabeling (2 Midi-cables, 2 cables for the Stereo-switches, Power cable for The FCB and 9-V-DC-cable for the (modified) FC6-switches) each cable has 10 m length (for the larger stages) which is bulky for transport and time sucking when installing my rig. Sometimes the Wah doesn't switch off after use (obviously a problem of the Pedal-controller).

I'm highly attending the Kemper-Footcontroller which hopefully is to be launched at the end of the year (I read in a thread of this great forum).

Though after all... The KPA gets my biggest recommendation. The best piece of equipment I ever bought.

• I own both and love both. They each have strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I use the Kemper live in a cover band setting and the Axe-Fx for home recording and video work. I like the portability of the Kemper and the "real amp" adjustability in a live setting. It's easier to tweak on the fly compared to the Axe-Fx, plus I have the Powerhead, so I don't need to have a rack with a power amp plus the Axe Fx. I also like how the Kemper allows you to sum outputs to mono, since most PAs I play through are configured for mono. Also easier to use a real cab on stage and send a cab sim signal to FOH.

This isn't to say that the Kemper isn't a great studio tool and that the Axe Fx isn't viable in a live setting. But for my needs, Kemper/Live and Axe-Fx/Studio is the way to go.