FCB1010 or GORDIUS LG2 using one single cable only

• Hi all,

after months of delay, because of other priorities, I'm finally _almost_ ready to release some stuff which allows you to use just one single cable running from your FCB1010 or GORDIUS LG2 to the KPA. The cable carries phantom power and 2-way MIDI communication.

For the FCB1010, this "single-cable kit" consists of
    - a small electronics board to be installed in the FCB1010, which replaces the 2 MIDI connectors with a single 7-pin connector and a (phantom) power switch
    - a long 7-lead MIDI cable which carries (low-voltage) power and 2-way MIDI from FCB1010 to the rack side
    - a small converter box which converts the single 7-pin connection to two regular MIDI IN / MIDI OUT connectors and a power adapter input
    - 2 short MIDI cables which run from converter box to KPA
    - a 9V power adapter which delivers phantom power to the FCB1010

For GORDIUS LG2 users, all they need is the small converter box (and MIDI cables), since the LG2 can already be configured to accept phantom power and 2-way MIDI on a single 7-pin connector.

I just launched a new website for this stuff : http://www.fcb1010.eu , if interested have a look there. Right now I'm still waiting for the last missing part, some glow-in-the-dark stickers which will be used as screening on the converter box. Forum member Labrat is working hard to get those stickers rolling out of his hi-tech printing & laser-cutting machines. For starters I have planned a very small first production series, so if interested don't hesitate to visit our website. When I run out of stock I will start creating a waiting list for the next run (which shouldn't take too long to get manufactured)

Have fun,
    Xavier

• AWESOME! Great job Xavier, I love my LG2 8)

• Ordered!

Cheers,
    Sam

• This is great! I was actually about to home-brew a similar solution myself for the FCB1010 but this is much more elegant (and no doubt of a much better quality that what I'd put together).

Though I notice no Australia shipping option - any way I can get it here?

• This is great! I was actually about to home-brew a similar solution myself for the FCB1010 but this is much more elegant (and no doubt of a much better quality that what I'd put together).

Though I notice no Australia shipping option - any way I can get it here?

I'm afraid not... UPS pricing for low volumes is outrageous here in Belgium. Shipping to the US costs me 168 USD. I "only" dare to charge 99 USD which means that probably nobody will be interested in this kit over there. Shipping to Australia is even more expensive... Other shipping methods don't give the same reliability, and I prefer not to spend my nights coping with missing packages. I guess things would be easier if I would partner up with someone based in the US, where shipping costs apparently are so much lower. But it isn't worth it for such small side project. Sorry for that..

• The biggest issue is with shipping. By the time I end up with this, it will cost more than my footboard. Not much one can do about it though.

Same problem here :(

I am now very intrigued with the idea of a single cable connection though. It is my biggest complaint with using the FCB1010 with the Kemper.

• Same problem here :(

OK, here's a new idea. The 7-lead MIDI cables come from the US anyway, so it's stupid to ship them to Belgium, pay import tax, and then ship them back to the US. Same for the power adapters. So I will create a "reseller pack" for anyone willing to redistribute this one-cable solution in the US, Australia,... The pack doesn't contain any MIDI cables or power adapters, just 10 FCB1010 upgrade boards + 10 converter boxes. At 20% off, that makes 68 USD per set, and this way shipping cost from Belgium goes down to 9.9 USD per set. Anyone willing to distribute those packs locally can add his own shipping and handling costs and still end up with a much more realistic pricing than when I ship individual units. I will add this option to the website as soon as I have such reseller packs fully tested and packed, ready for shipping. Of course on request I will also add a link on our webpage to those resellers.