Classic Compressor

• +1. Again this is really needed by some of us!!
    Recently I bought a 5 string bass and I tune it to drop A, so I need more compression parameters to adjust the right tone. I'm getting a bad tone due to the unchangeable infinite compression ratio, and too short release; so being able to control this parameters such as in a typical studio compressor would be very appreciated!.

• Is it just me or are all these params already available. Ratio = squash, attack and threshold are already there. Not sure what sustain is? But volume is there. Only thing missing IMO is a "soft-knee" switch/param

Actually, the manual states that the compressor has fixed ratio at ∞:1 (acting kind of a limiter), so Ratio ≠ squash. Also I find a Release time parameter very important when setting compressors. So again, yes a studio-compressor with more parameters is indeed needed!

• ♦ Squash
    This gives you control over the dynamic behavior of the compression. At the center position the compres- sor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings” decay, resulting in less “squash”. When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings” decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. You will notice that the compressor recovers from squashing when you let the strings decay further - even boosting the sound a little, compared to when you hit the strings. Now, the compressor becomes really noticeable!

“Squash” does not change the compression ratio. The compression ratio is always infinite on vintage stomp compressors.

...what the hell is squash doing!?!?! Sounds like it is ducking the threshold...

I dont understand the description really, so...

+1

• Agreed, not to make a pun but I find the KPA Compressor to be "limiting."

It takes a lot of trial and error to get the kind of results I'm used to, coming from a studio background it's very limited in options and from a guitar comp pedal background, the functions don't correlate that well to the pedals I'm used to either without some real tweaking. I can get a decent clean comp sound with it but it's not very user-friendly to me. You basically have to fly blind and twist parameters until it gets somewhere that you want to go.

Ideally it would be nice to have this one and a more "studio" type compressor to choose from. Mainly to have one that could be used post-amp more like a studio comp would be. I used to do this with great affect/effect using my older processors (Line6, Digitech, Roland, etc.) on some lead and clean sounds.

J