Uno4Kemper w/ FCB1010 -- browse vs performance mode - what's the difference?

• I'm absolutely loving my kemper (2 months in), and the FCB1010 is proving to work really well for me. I've only used the FCB in browse mode so far. I don't really see what I can do in Performance mode that I can't do in browse mode. In each mode, I get 5 slots on the bottom row per bank/performance for different rigs. In each mode, I also get to turn effects on/off on the top row for whatever rig is activated in the bottom slots. What am I missing that I could be doing in Performance mode that isn't covered in Browse? If it's cooler/more versatile (particularly for gigging), I want to do it ;)

Thanks!

• I'm absolutely loving my kemper (2 months in), and the FCB1010 is proving to work really well for me. I've only used the FCB in browse mode so far. I don't really see what I can do in Performance mode that I can't do in browse mode. In each mode, I get 5 slots on the bottom row per bank/performance for different rigs. In each mode, I also get to turn effects on/off on the top row for whatever rig is activated in the bottom slots. What am I missing that I could be doing in Performance mode that isn't covered in Browse? If it's cooler/more versatile (particularly for gigging), I want to do it ;)

Thanks!

Hi Glad your enjoying the KPA

Performance mode is for arranging a set if for example you have a standard set each night and certain songs you play. The arrangement of the songs can be changed quite easily I think.

So for example performance mode 1 could be the first song you play in your set and each of the 5 patches could be Intro, verse, chorus bridge solo etc.

So you press pedal 1 for the intro, then when the verse kicks in you press pedal 2, when it comes to the chorus guess what, you would hit pedal 3 :)

In my band we never have a standard set we normally play songs by how the crowd are reacting, but I can see performance mode to be a benefit for those who do play the same set every gig.

Hope this has helped a bit :thumbup:

• Same here, no organized set list so I use browse mode and it works fine. I have different amps on different banks and a few banks for specific songs/effects combinations out of the ordinary.

• Thanks for the info. I also am doing covers in my band and our set list changes somewhat from gig to gig. So I think I might be better off staying in Browse mode as well. But even if it were the same set every night, I think I'd still use the same 2 or 3 cleans, 2 or 3 dirty ,and the same 2 or 3 lead rigs. Maybe have a couple of "hair band" rigs set up as well. So I feel like I'd be putting the same rig in so many of the performance slots that I might be doing MORE tap dancing by scrolling though all those slots in performance mode than kicking back in the same 2 or 3 banks in in browse mode, even if my set were the same each night. Though... maybe it'd be easier to handle shows in performance mode because I wouldn't have to remember where all my particular rigs are stored. I could just walk through the set list performance slot by performance slot rather than having to remember that my lead crunch sound is store in bank3, slot 2..... That might have some real benefits for me after a couple of beverages!

That being said, is there a real easy way to configure performance mode for someone like me who has a varying set list every gig - 100 or more gigs a year?

Are there any other big differences between the two modes?

Thanks again for the info!

• In Browse, if you wanted five slots with the same amp but different stomps, effects, and gain levels, you'd have to make five different rigs that would be cluttering up the browser. Performance mode keeps your rig list tidier and makes.

In Browse, you have to assign MIDI programs to each right specifically. In Performance, you just load a rig into a slot, save it, copy it, arrange your banks, etc.

I think Kemper's intention is for Browse to be like a library, while Performance is your shelf at home for the books you sign out.

• Rule of thumb:
    The more preconfigured you want your rigs (certain special amp settings, stomps and FX for a given song, preconfigured tempo, etc.) the more you'll benefit from performance mode.
    If you only use a few stomps, FX and amps with the same settings it's certainly more convenient to stay in browse mode.