Different Profiles for different guitars

• I'm interested in hearing advice here as well, my 2nd guitar will be finished this month. Both are somewhat similar but I will probably ast the very least need 2 different input sections saved to accommodate the different pickup outputs.

• This has been debated a lot in the past. Profiles do not work equally well with any guitar, despite the fact that your guitar isn't part of the signal chain that is profiled. The manual playing part of profiling is just an extra step to verify that the finished profile is able to reproduce the signal from manual playing just as well as the weird noise the profiler runs through the amp, but the actual tone of the guitar doesn't mean anything here. The influence from the guitar comes from before you start the profiling process. Before profiling start you dial in your rig for the tone you want, and at this point the type of guitar you have is crucial to how you dial in the amp, and the behaviour of the amp is what the profile is modelling. The profile you end up with will most likely be a best fit for that particular guitar. There's no absolute rule saying that for example a profile made by somone playing a telecaster won't work with Les Pauls. It is however very likely that those two people, when using the same real amplifier, would dial in the controls very different. Until the profiler develops robotic arms so that it can twists knobs during profiling and become able to exactly model the complete behaviour of an amplifier, profiles will be somewhat dependent on the guitar used in the process.

I certainly use different profiles for different guitars, and I think most KPA-players do.

• Often the different guitars are used for different purposes that require a different type of amp. However, if I want to use a different guitar with the same type of amp, I'll most often just use one of my favourite profiles for that particular type of amp and adjust gain, eq, definition etc.

• Yes same story for me , I keep 3 dedicated directories on my rig manager one for the strat , one for the Les paul and one for the Jazzbox. The tele will fit the strat rigs. I even have some modded rigs between the vintage and modern LesPaul due to different pickups.

I use a variation of the same rigs with slight adjustments in amp and Cab parameters : definition , clarity, Bass & Treble shifting.

Most of those rigs are available on the rig exchange if you want to check them , see - trainwreck clone LP & trainwreck clone str - for instance.

• Find what sounds good to you regardless of what guitar It was profiled with. My main rig is a Masotti I got here on the rig exchange and I use it with a '80 Washburn Eagle with humbuckers, used it for 6 months before I realized it was profiled with a strat lol.

• Too much of a hassle to experiment with all amp parameters. A good profile tends to sound good with any guitar. If not then better look for another profile.The only paramater I change is the volume when the output turns consistently red.

• Ditto here. I gig with 3 or 4 different guitars (single coils and HB) and 3 or 4 different performances (different amps).
    I never know what guitar I'm going to use with which rig until just before the next song. Worked for me so far.

Too much of a hassle to experiment with all amp parameters. A good profile tends to sound good with any guitar. If not then better look for another profile.The only paramater I change is the volume when the output turns consistently red.

• It's the same as with real amps - killer high gain amps sound - in most cases - not so great with vintage guitars.

A great vintage Fender amp may sound only great with single coils and may sound bad with active EMG's.

But a lot of amps sound great with many different guitars - but yes, the amps have different channels, knobs and switches to find the sweet spot for each guitar.

That's way it takes 10 to 100 profiles (for each amp) to capture the complete amp.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de