BB king's Lucille Simulator

• Hi, it's the 65th anniversary of BB king's Lucille Gibson and there is a reissue in the store ATM.

I just figured out the varitone selector : it's a notch filter and I could find some specs :

Position 2 = C1 - softer than bypass
    Position 3 = C2 - deeper tone than bypass, better response
    Position 4 = C3 - jazz box full
    Position 5 = C4 - jazz box mellow
    Position 6 = C5 -almost woman-ish tone

Position 1 : Bypass
    Position 2: 5db sur 1950Hz
    Position 3: 12db sur 1100Hz
    Position 4: 16db sur 620Hz
    Position 5: 18.5db sur 360Hz
    Position 6: 21db sur 120HZ

bullet Position 1 : Bypass (no effect)
    bullet Position 2 : -5dB at f0=1875 Hz
    bullet Position 3 : -6dB at f0=1090 Hz
    bullet Position 4 : -7dB at f0=650 Hz
    bullet Position 5 : -10dB at f0=350 Hz
    bullet Position 6 : -14dB at f0=130 Hz

So I did tweak my KPA in order to have 5 studio eq presets set as the specs , the last one being post EQ since there is only 4 slots pre eq (it's even better post EQ ) ... I did compensate all 5 presets volume changes on EQ volume.

Here is the result : BB KING's Lucille SIM rig - Check the rig exchange . It's based on the great great 66 fender vibrochamp by Simon B and with my open back 2x10 JTM cab. I did choose this amp & cab since the whole gain range responds fantastically to your play.

Be sure to engage ONE preset at a time, but you can get some interesting results with two engaged. EQ presets are in reverse order , but more logical order : from low to mids .

Adjust Gain and Volume at will , it's set up at breakup on the actual rig, just lower gain and you'll find BB king's clean tone easily

The beauty of this rig it's that it will even work on single coils and P90, I did test with PAFs, p90, SC and on Hollow bodies and it sounds great.

I had to make some means since I had two different EQ specs & I did some slight adjustments to the EQ specs , they sounded more musical to me ( %mix and dB range )

• I just started a thread on this killer rig at the same time you posted this. Sorry about that but spent a couple minutes with it and had to give it props! I haven't even fooled with the EQ settings yet and love it!

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

Edited once, last by BuckeyeBrown ().

• No probz man

BB King used fender amps and especially a Big Dual Show man monster, the vibrochamp is a dwarf !!!

The Dual showman From amp factory is a great RIG also , as well as the musciman , both Killer amps for Blues , Jazz and all warm & singing cleans.

• I'm sure it depends on pickups and clean sense setting but with my 335 copy if I set the profiler at about 2.7 on the gain and then back the volume down to about -7.5 (so that it doesn't clip) it makes for a real nice warm break up. Just as you noted!

Since this is a little hot with the front 4 EQ's not on (default) I can see needing to drop the volume a bit if you have hotter buckers. Will have to try with my other guitars once I put the 335 down!

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• Yep , my cab is pretty hot , I remember this profiling session , It went very good, I just followed the foolproof method by Don Petersen , my SM57 was very very close , angled and between the two speakers. The result was a very loud rig :D

Adjust the volume in order not to clip , but keep the cab volume up in order to get this great dynamic attack.

I also use low input settings (negative)

EQ 5 (post) is particularly good on strat leads with gain on 4, it gives a vintage feel.

• Nice job!
    I did the same several month ago, one time with the parameters of the Gibson Varitone and on the other hand with the parameters of the Epiphone Varitone, which is a little different from the original Gibson one. But I was too lazy to post it. Also I noticed that this is nice to have but I did never use it in real (recording) performances. So I tuned physically an ES-copy I got with a Varitone-switch you can get from Music Store in Cologne - and did use it just one time in total in the last half year. :D
    Perhaps a Varitone isn't my thing so far ...

Anyway: Thanks for your adaption of this famous piece of guitar-tuning!
    :thumbup: