Is the Petrucci delay trick possible with the Kemper?

• Hi guys :thumbup: ,
    hopefully someone of you can help me out. I am the only guitarist in my band and i recently heard of a trick to get a broader sound. The trick should go like this:
    One has to use a delay and set feedback to zero and the ms to a very low value for example 7ms. Then the sound guy should pan the stereo signal left and right ( the normal rythm sound and the one with the delay) and similiarly to the recording of two guitars you should get a more broad sound. My question is how would that be possible with the Kemper? Is there any possibility to do that without buying any additional delay? ?(

• Yes, that's possible. I have created my own preset for that delay setting. No problem at all. Thing is, though, that - at the moment - there is no chance to use an additional delay. This might (?) change in the future, but as of now, it's not possible.

• FWIW I'm doing this with the Behringer DEQ2496.
    I bought it primilarly for its wonderful room auto EQ function, but discovered a lot of very useful additional features such as : stereo delay , compressor, feedback destroyer, all sort of graphic / param EQ's, level meter, stereo imager...Incredible product for the price !

• Stereo Widener is a good point and I have a question regarding this. IIRC the manual says that is has an effect in a mono setup too, but I can hear no difference when I'm dialing in the Stereo Widener. What's your experience with the SW?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks guys for your answers!

@ joerch would you please share your settings or your profile with us? I really don't know how to get the delay only for one of the outputs working ?( And for what would an additional delay be useful? Isn't it enough to use one delay?

• I don't have the exact settings here, but I remember that I used an analog delay. I set the time to about 10ms and then played with the ratio a bit (1:4 or 4:1). Feedback relatively mild (about 20-30 %). Then you can play with the bandwidth and frequency and of course with the mix. Keep in mind that a 10ms delay is barely detectable as a delay but the overall effect gives you a room-like character.

• Thanks for all that input! I defnittly have to try some of these possibilites and thx joerch for the settings.
    But I still got one question left is it possible to use the delay only on one of the two outputs i can send to the pa or will both of these outputs send the same signal?

• The "Petrucci Delay" or "Hall effect" is well known on the internet. But I am afraight that it is not noticable at all in a concert venue. Such delay on one stereo side of the PA is equal to shifting the listeners position by only a few meters from the middle position between the speakers. But the vast majority of your audience is listening to you from a non-center position anyway. Beside that, most of this stereo perception is surpressed by the room reflections of the venue anyway.
    I recently talked to a successful FOH guy. He said, they mix most signals mono, since the audience is everywhere in the venue, and they don't want to let the audience on the left miss the parts of the music they would pan to the left.
    You probably don't want to present your performance with a 7 ms additional latency to the girls on the left. And not even on the right side :)

On a recording the "Petrucci Delay" is poison too, as it renders your guitar mono-incompatible.

• Stereo Widener is a good point and I have a question regarding this. IIRC the manual says that is has an effect in a mono setup too, but I can hear no difference when I'm dialing in the Stereo Widener. What's your experience with the SW?

Anybody?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• The "Petrucci Delay" or "Hall effect" is well known on the internet. But I am afraight that it is not noticable at all in a concert venue. Such delay on one stereo side of the PA is equal to shifting the listeners position by only a few meters from the middle position between the speakers. But the vast majority of your audience is listening to you from a non-center position anyway. Beside that, most of this stereo perception is surpressed by the room reflections of the venue anyway.
    I recently talked to a successful FOH guy. He said, they mix most signals mono, since the audience is everywhere in the venue, and they don't want to let the audience on the left miss the parts of the music they would pan to the left.
    You probably don't want to present your performance with a 7 ms additional latency to the girls on the left. And not even on the right side :)

On a recording the "Petrucci Delay" is poison too, as it renders your guitar mono-incompatible.

I think he uses this delay trick because he has In-ear monitors. Through headphones, this may add something, but for me the space parameter may work better to get this breathy tone...

CK, all your comments are spot on.

I heard recently through headphones the Score DVD by Dream Theater and it sounds like he has constantly a kind of chorus due IMHO to this trick. I am not a fan of this...

• Hi guys :thumbup: ,
    hopefully someone of you can help me out. I am the only guitarist in my band and i recently heard of a trick to get a broader sound. The trick should go like this:
    One has to use a delay and set feedback to zero and the ms to a very low value for example 7ms. Then the sound guy should pan the stereo signal left and right ( the normal rythm sound and the one with the delay) and similiarly to the recording of two guitars you should get a more broad sound. My question is how would that be possible with the Kemper? Is there any possibility to do that without buying any additional delay? ?(

In the old days I use to have this sound with the old Roland SDE-2500 pan 100% left 20ms and preamp signal 100% right. I know people is saying it's possible but I have tried for weeks now and dont think it's possible right now. Either it's delayed on both sides or the guitar signal stay in the center. I like this sound and great for bands with less people, big sound. Hope we get this in the future.

Edited 5 times, last by strengdal ().

• Am I wrong? the Free delay works now.after last upgrade it sounds good but get more delayed on the left when having 60ms on the right side. But is it starting at 0ms or 6ms on the left side? Here is my setup for the dubler sound Petrucci:
    Mix 100% Time 27ms Ratio 4.1 Feedback 0. Bandwidth 0.Center F 0. Modulation 1.0 Ducking 0. Volume +2.1. You probably want to have less Time.
    Thanks! Great! The only thing missing now is volume for the right side, because the delayed signal become little bit lower than the left signal.

• why don't you just use the stereo widened,

Or the space effect. You don't even need a free slot for that it's in the output menu.

It's like the next doubler question al over again.

I've read other people also use the micro pitch define also to thicken up