Dual Profiler Thread

• Hey gang,

after a long (and very happy) time of using the Profiler, I started to contemplate about dual amping ... maybe some of you guys did or still do the same.
    For a while I was just happy with my single Profiler, happy enough to wait if they will ever come up with an improved Profiler able to run 2 rigs at the same time. Stupid me, I knew it wouldn't happen any time soon. :)

Now I finally killed my piggy bank and got me a second Profiler. And to be honest, I don't think there's a font size big enough to express my WOW experience. Just unbelievable!

Some of you guys may already know that my #1 amp is the Marshall Bluesbreaker from TAF. Such an amazing and versatile amp. But now being able to play two of them, one @ Gain 4.4 and the second one @ Gain 1.5 is just completely blowing me away. What a wonderful combination. Dreams have come true. I've even switched off all internal effects, just hooked up an Okko Diable Gain+ in front and a Strymon Timeline behind and I'm easily gone for the rest of the day (and night).

This whole mind-blowing experience made me think it would be nice to have a thread for those lucky enough to run a dual Profiler setup and exchange experiences and interesting rig combinations. But first of all, are there some who actually do dual Profiler here?

My current setup is:
    Guitar -> Okko Diablo Gain+ -> Profiler1 front input -> Profiler 1 direct output -> Profiler 2 alternative input
    Both Profilers' main outputs mixed via Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56 MixControl
    Strymon Mobius/Timeline/Big Sky via Send/Return in MixControl
    Both Profilers set to constant latency

• Hahaha Andy @ 3rd Profiler

I don't think I'll need a 3rd one because I can't imagine it's possible to profile the dual Profiler setup nicely so that it preserves its nice gain+clean structure. But what do I know? Haven't tried yet.

Next tasks:
    Will try to profile one of your profiles with the Okko Diablo Gain+ in front. It has such a dynamic and full (warm) distortion. Like it a lot more than the Tubescreamer stuff. Armin has already profiled it, afair. But since I couldn't combine it with another amp without a second Profiler, I've never used these profiles before. Now I've got my own and I can experiment.

• Im going to try that rig again as you suggested! (Pan 1 L and other R) will make a nice sound.

How do you pan this setup L and R? I always thought that "Main Left" and "Main Right" are no panned outputs but a mono sum. Am I wrong?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• True. But maybe someone wants to use this setup live. In this case, I believe, there's no way to pan two KPA's left and right, except by using an additional mixer.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• True. But maybe someone wants to use this setup live. In this case, I believe, there's no way to pan two KPA's left and right, except by using an additional mixer.

Well, it could be done if you're happy with two monitors, you could route one KPA to one and the other KPA to the other. Or four monitors, i.e. two left, two right.

• Just think....after you buy a third kpa, you could make dual profiles for the rig exchange

Unfortunately, I believe this is not going to work. The profiling process is not going to sample the overall output, it just learns how the overall system reacts to the signal's strenght, apart of course from imparting the amp+cab+mic(s) filter (probably function of signal's strenght itself).

IOW, summing a clean amp and a distorted amp will not generate a profile were you hear the clean and the distorted signals at the same time.

• I do wish they'd allow dual amp profiles. My favourite sound (other
    than noise I couldn't defeat) was an OR15 through a 2 x 12 cab blended
    with different amounts of the lead channel of a 5150 II through another 2
    x 12 cab....... Beautiful mids and a bit of cut from the OR15 - and
    brute force and thud from the 5150.....sublime :)

Please do try it with your 2 Kempers and tell me how it sounds :)

Have you set the Kempers up so you can blend different volumes / ratios of each?

Cheers,
    Andy

• Just for my own curiosity, and it's very possible that I don't fully understand the process, but I remembered reading the following thread that said this had been successful (3 kpas for dual profiles). If you get a chance check out the following thread and see if its my mistake or if it might be possible:

"Black and white Magic: alas, the universe did not cease to be: profiling two Profilers"

• Have you set the Kempers up so you can blend different volumes / ratios of each?

Yes, as I've wrote in the first post, I mix them using my audio interface's MixControl (or any other mixer)

Just for my own curiosity, and it's very possible that I don't fully understand the process, but I remembered reading the following thread that said this had been successful (3 kpas for dual profiles).

I don't have 3 Profilers (and no plans to get a 3rd one) so I can't try. But from what my imagination tells me, it should be possible with 2 more or less clean profiles ... or 2 crunchy profiles. Not sure though how it would work using one distorted amp and a clean amp together.
    And apart from that, I don't think it would be a good way to accomplish dual amping since the whole signal chain until the end of the STACK section is mono. So there's no way to pan and/or mix anything. You just get one fixed amp combination in mono.

To be honest, I think the only viable solution for dual amping (apart from re-amping in your DAW) is getting 2 Profilers. And even if I had waited a couple of years for a Kemper Profiler XL (Pro, Duo, whatever), it would be a bit more expensive anyways. So I just decided not to wait any longer, spent probably a little bit more money than a Kemper Profiler XL would cost, didn't mind having 2 lunchboxes instead of one case with dual amp capability.

So far I don't regret my decision. I wasn't unhappy before but I felt that there was something missing to get the tone I'm after. Problem solved. :)

• @lightbox....Congrats on the dual kpa's. I was originally joking about getting a third and making profiles, but it just spiked my interest. Anyway, it sounds like the dual kpa's are a killer setup. Keep on rockin. -Adam