Music Man John Petrucci Majesty (anyone try yet?)

• Very interested in the Majesty. I know its looks odd, but the looks have grown on me. I never thought of owning a white guitar but this one just speaks to me. Reminds me of the Storm Troopers from Star Wars. I'm sure it plays like a dream. Anyone tried it yet or have any thoughts? ?(

• It's a really neat guitar with some great features on it. I haven't had a chance to try it but almost everyone I know that has one loves it. I can't get around the shape of it, personally. But everyone has a different opinion on beauty. Check out the EBMM forums for more info and opinions.

• [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]
    haha, sorry couldn't resist! :P

Seriously, it does really look super ugly to me! :wacko:

• Haven't tested the Majesty yet, but ordered and installed the new Dimarzio Illuminator pickups in an Ibanez RGA72 which I passived therefore. I installed two push/pull potis for switching betwenn serial and parallel wiring of each pickup. After testing the pickups for 14 days now I must say that imo the CrunchLab/Liquifire-combination (JP played before using the JP13 and the Majesty) are way better and more flexible. I compared the sound to my MM JP6, to a Schecter DOE 6 wherein I installed the CrunchLab/Liquifire with SD Tripleshot Frames (switching between serail/parallel/each coil solo) and a Schecter SGR-7 with the 7-string CrunchLab/Liquifire using the Dimarzio EP1111 parallel switch (middle position).

Don't get me wrong the Illuminators aren't bad pickups but I think they aren't able to retire CrunchLab/Liquifire. Perhaps the extraordinary wiring and built-in electronics of the Majesty brings the Illuminators to a new level - the pickups in itself are of solid quality but not the expected sensation. Nevertheless I will try the Majesty definitely in fall 2014.

• I picked up a JP13-7. I love the guitar, but am not digging the Illuminator bridge pickup. Even after a lot of tweaking I find it too nasally for my taste. I'm sure at some point I'll have to replace it.

• You see...that is interesting on the Crunch lab pickups. I've had several of them previously. I absolutely don't like the pickup in any guitar I have tried! I recently picked up an amazing Jp12 7 string and after some time with it, I swapped out the Crunch Lab for an illuminator in the bridge and haven't looked back. Much clearer, more well defined and just an overall better tone from my guitar. I left the stock liquifire in there as I do like that neck pickup. Very happy with how it is setup at this point!

• Petrucci's tone was always better in the early years circa I&W/SFAM.

+1

I prefer the most the SFAM-6DOIT era, which sound more dry than now.

Systematic Chaos has also a very solid guitar tone. But the drums tones play a huge role about how we perceive guitar tones in a mix. DT drums tones have changed a lot now and the drum production IMHO is now pretty awful and guitars way too loud in the mix.

Listen to Portnoy on Flying Colors and Mangini in Dream Theater's last album, Portnoy sound pretty natural and intense, Mangini sounds like a Roland XP80 drumkit... Damn I can't even listen to the last DT albums, not because of the songs, but because of the mix which bore my ears quite quickly, which is a shame.

So I am very happy with my 2001 EBMMJP6 which corresponds to my favourite JP tones and don't have any particular GAS for the last JP guitars/pickups...

• Listen to Portnoy on Flying Colors and Mangini in Dream Theater's last album, Portnoy sound pretty natural and intense, Mangini sounds like a Roland XP80 drumkit... Damn I can't even listen to the last DT albums, not because of the songs, but because of the mix which bore my ears quite quickly, which is a shame.

Man, you just expressed in words what I felt! Mangini sound is horrible to me...

• portnoy also quite heavily compressed or still compresses his drums. but dream theater really have a bad album soud now because of overcompressing. it isn't any musical at all. so is the first flying colours album... i really have a hard time listening to those songs although i like them.

• It seems to be a general tendency to have a high acoustic impact over poor players/heavily compressed file formats.

Some time ago Genesis have re-mixed and re-mastered all of their albums. Exciting from several POV if you're a fan. All the drums have this weird tone and feel tho, which makes them sound quite unreal for '70s recordings 8|

:)

• Some time ago Genesis have re-mixed and re-mastered all of their albums. Exciting from several POV if you're a fan. All the drums have this weird tone and feel tho, which makes them sound quite unreal for '70s recordings 8|

:)

I'm pretty sure that 'The Loudness War' is at play again then.
    I've hear a lot of remastered albums that sound much worse than the original release.