1965 Fender Princeton clean

• Very cool rig, another great fender profile , fantastic on the strat & tele - I store it in my KPA next to the 1966 vibrochamp.

Please do some more crunch & cranked profiles if you can , we love these old fenders here :)

• Thanks very much, and I am very glad you like it! I only had access to it, for a brief time. The secret to this one, is the mic I used - a $49 Radio Shack PZM , laying against the grill centered vertically, about an inch off center horizontally. It is as flat as a mic can be, so, whatever the amp sounds like, is what you get. After I did the profile, my first and only, I find it richer than other favorite profiles, and I agree that a Strat into this baby, just rings like a bell. Later today, I will post the other profile I did with this combo, which is just a slight crunch. Run a booster in one of the front end slots, and it will rock.

• Thanks for the positive feedback!!!!! It is payback for all of the wonderful free profiles I have used. In the not too distant future, there may be some more vintage and boutique profiles, using the same mic method, which I think is the most accurate way to capture a profile, without any additional color. :D

• I really don't know. However, check eBay , and just google PZM microphones, as that is a generic term. I know Crown used to make one, but it was expensive, as I remember. I think I have two, but I have no idea where it is. They are as flat as flat can be, as they operate from sound pressure only.

• Yes, it handles high SPL the same. It seems like an ideal mic for the Kemper, because it is actually an FRFR mic. This successful experiment has high possibilities, that I will pursue in the near future, as a commercial venture, with some high end vintage amps, modded by a great friend, who also was a guitar tech for SRV, in his later tours, up until his death. In fact, he still has the two Marshall cabs, I originally bought new in early 1969, with a 100 watt Super Lead head, which has been on Grammy winning recordings, and is still owned by another great friend, that has given me permission to profile. I am on the road every week, so it has been tough to connect, as both my friends are on the road constantly, as well. My goal is to profile as many of these as possible, in the coming months, if both our schedules slow down a bit. At the very least, I wish to profile my old 1969 Super Lead, as a bit of my own history, kind of like reuniting with an old friend.

• I really don't know. However, check eBay , and just google PZM microphones, as that is a generic term. I know Crown used to make one, but it was expensive, as I remember. I think I have two, but I have no idea where it is. They are as flat as flat can be, as they operate from sound pressure only.

Awesome, thanks!

• Many years ago those microphones have been used just laying on the floor in front of a drumkit - or even as a bassdrum-mic (in the bassdrum). One can see this in older Musik Produktiv-catalogue.

• Well, I used it for this reason. Everyone complains a bit, even about great profiles, cause it "doesn't sound like the amp in the room". Well, this fantastic technology will, basically, give you pretty precisely what it is profiling. But what your ears hear, and what a mic "hears" are totally different. Any mic that is not flat, acts as a filter reacting to the speaker. I always thought so many profiles sounded so close to one another, that, at first, I assumed the amps were all similar. Wrong! It depends on the "filter" you are using that shows the Kemper what the characteristics of the sound are. So, everyone that places an SM57 off axis on a Celestion speaker, in a 4-12 cabinet, are going to sound similar. We know the speaker and cabinet greatly affect the way it sounds, but the microphone is the final determinant, not to mention all of the cables. So, in theory, and now in practice, a flat mic will give you as close to exactly like what you hear while profiling. This makes sense to me, and when I used this cheap, flat mic, I can tell you it was indistinguishable from what I had the amp in the room sounding like. Think of the mic as the opposite of the FRFR speaker you play through. The mic should also be FRFR.

• I have to agree with this.
    A flat mic is essential in order to capture "the cab" sound. I've been writing this in each and every thread about "amps in the room", but for some reason many seem to prefer to just disregard the fact. Maybe because they don't own a measurement mic LOL

Another factor in order to get a real "amp in the room" profile is the ability to properly balance early and late reflections, as Jay Mitchell has pointed out several times.

Glad some good results are coming out :)

• Nice article. I used to use this PZM as a kick drum mic, as well. In the case of profiling, I draped the mic just off center horizontally, and centered vertically. The amp was sitting on a rug that was sitting on a concrete floor. Unlike the article stated, this position did not have a bass roll off , that I could notice, but sounded very rich in tone, which tells me it had plenty of bass. If I were to try this with a 4 x 12 cabinet, I would Velcro the PZM to the center of a large piece of plexiglass, standing vertically, about an inch in front of the cabinet. The idea is that whatever size the PZM mic is mounted to, i.e. flat surface, becomes effectively the size of the diaphragm of the mic, which I surmise, would then effectively mic all 4 speakers, with one huge mic. When I get the opportunity, i will try this to see what happens.