Profile wanted: Alan Holdsworth / Eric Johnson

• What I've found out in over 3 decades of playing guitar is that it's not so much the amp as it is the player and the way he/she sets up his/her amp. The same amp can be suited to fusion tones, metal or country depending on the settings. I feel that most paid profiles are usually generic in nature, whereas the tones I'm looking for are very specific (midrange heavy, not a lot of bass or high end, for violin-like leads). Of course, some amps may be more suited to the task than others, maybe even some that were already profiled but not at the ideal settings for getting the tones I'm after. So my question is, are there any profiles that are just the ticket to what I'm looking for? If not, can I expect that something along those lines will be available in the future?

• Have you tried the profile Holdsworthy by Ruppert? Very smooth for violin-like lead playing. There's no spikey fizziness. It could be too mushy for some, so you might need to tighten it up with some EQ and add a bit more presence/treble.

For EJ's lead tone, he specifically uses a bridge pickup, but almost all the tone controls on his effects are rolled off -- the Tube Driver, Marshall, etc. So there's a lot of treble at the source, but it's EQ'd out it out to get that smooth, violin-like lead tone.

Would love to have someone profile his lead, rhythm, and clean signal chains (without the delay and chorus of course)!

• Have you tried the profile Holdsworthy by Ruppert? Very smooth for violin-like lead playing. There's no spikey fizziness. It could be too mushy for some, so you might need to tighten it up with some EQ and add a bit more presence/treble.

For EJ's lead tone, he specifically uses a bridge pickup, but almost all the tone controls on his effects are rolled off -- the Tube Driver, Marshall, etc. So there's a lot of treble at the source, but it's EQ'd out it out to get that smooth, violin-like lead tone.

Would love to have someone profile his lead, rhythm, and clean signal chains (without the delay and chorus of course)!

I just looked in my rigs folder and it's there but it didn't stay in the KPA, which means I was probably not too impressed... Can't remember though, I've auditioned it over a year ago, might give it another try. Still I'd love to have more options :)

• Hi Deny, these jazz rock rigs are difficult to achieve, I had to tweak my own ones and I'm not totally satisfied too.

Anyway here is an interesting one I made a few months back, with a hint of chorus & delay, from a great Davoli amp. I use it with a Les Paul. Tweak to your taste and adjust vol pot on your guitar to smooth out the experience.

Check the Rif Ex for : Davoli Carlton LP

The markIIc+ from Djemass is also a good candidate to tweak.