Selling a Used KPA with Commercial Profiles Included

• I've noticed a lot of people selling used Kempers with commercial profiles included on ebay and various forums. What do you think about this? Personally, I haven't formed a strong opinion either way yet. It would be specifically interesting to hear the thoughts of commercial profile sellers.

• I've noticed a lot of people selling used Kempers with commercial profiles included on ebay and various forums. What do you think about this? Personally, I haven't formed a strong opinion either way yet. It would be specifically interesting to hear the thoughts of commercial profile sellers.

I think that selling the KPA with the profiles is fine as what use would they be to the owner if they don't have a KPA to use them on anymore and I would think that most commercial profile sellers wouldn't mind this. With anything that can be copied at some point it will be pirated by some people who don't want to pay/respect the seller time, expertise and effort that has been put in to making them :)

• I agree. The OP was possibly thinking of a scenario where I sell a copy of the profiles and go on using them on another machine (which would be the most obvious form of piracy in a sense).
    This is quite clearly incorrect, but OTOH:

1. You can't oblige people to keep property of something they really want to get rid of;
    2. There's no simple way to prevent this from happening...

Basically it's something generally legit to do that can be used in unethical ways as well... Not that this is uncommon of course!
    Trying hard to prevent it would be like making iniections illegal because someone sells heroin... :(

:)

• I think I've seen posts here from users that are selling their Kempers with commercial profiles to buy another Kemper. I doubt they'd purchase the same commercial profiles again either, just use them again.

I'm sure there are torrents with profiles available, so as mentioned by other users, this is a moot point. I mean, what if the original amp manufacturers sued Kemper, asserting that he is "stealing" their hard work (this is a rhetorical question, given that sounds can't be patented, I'm thinking)?

Best a commercial profiler can hope for is that people recognise the hard work they're doing and don't rip them off. Otherwise it'll be like the music industry, where only crap is released and nothing else ^^

For the record though, I find some of the free profiles to be par excellence. Bring on the Michael Wagener profiles, yeah man! :thumbup:

• From TAF's terms and conditions:

You are paying for the rights of using these profiles for yourself only, you are strictly forbidden from sharing them or making them available online for free or for resale.

Unless Andy tells me otherwise, I read that as saying the license is personal and not transferable. When I sell my KPA (hopefully for a compact floor version), I'm going to erase my TAF profiles. I'd be curious to know if people who sell their KPAs loaded with commercial profiles still keep copies or if they repurchase profiles when they buy another KPA.

• Interesting. But selling is actually different from re-selling. You're just cedeing your right of use, and the final situation is 1 profile sold - 1 user using it, ao no-one gets hurt :)