Working Hard to Keep Only 50ish Rigs on Kemper

• With new profiles arriving every day in the Rig Exchange and the commercial guys continuing to produce rig packs, it's been extremely hard to keep my rig count down on the Kemper.
    As it sits today I have 60 rigs loaded on my machine (37 commercial and 23 user). 34 are cleans, 10 mild distortion and 16 heavier distortion. 20 are Fender, 11 Mesa, 7 Marshall and the remaining are spread among Trainwreck, Two Rock, Dr. Z, Carvin, Vox, Fuchs, Blackstar and Orange. The commercial rigs are from TAF (15), Pete (9), SinMix (4), VSP (3), AmpSound (2), Top Jimi (2) and 1 each from Cranky Ray Hanky and Joptunes.

While I only have 60 rigs loaded, there are hundreds of profiles that sound great (both commercial and user generated). I just can't figure out how to make good use of them if I load them on the Kemper. I can only scroll thru so many rigs before I have to stop myself from tweaking/auditioning them, or I'll never really play anything.

• I agree with you.
    I know people who have more than 1.000 rigs on their KPA.
    I'm shure they din't play all those rigs... But they complain that the boot takes too long!
    Now I have 262 rigs on mine and I want to reduce them to 100.

• I think that the Rig Manager can really help keeping your KPA clean. Using local subfolders on your PC you can make as many "collections" for any specific genre or style as you want. Organizing rigs this way is so much fun and it really helps getting the perfect rig for any situation without have to place all the rigs inside the KPA.

• I have about 90 profiles on my actual toaster and about 900 in the Rig Manager, all in sub-folders named after the amps. Seems a decent way to organise it all. I am planning on removing even more from the toaster though as in my mind I only really need the ones on there that I actually use live. Playing in a few different bands, I have a few different amps that suit, but think I could get the number of profiles down to about 20 or 30 along with those in my actual performance slots. As with the OP some of mine are commercial, mainly from TAF, some from Soundside and some from SInMix, the rest are from RE. And there are many that are great.

I plan to keep all the rest on the Rig Manager for recording use and simply for tweaking mixes etc.

• I just cleaned up my PowerRack as best I could, but I still have 262 rigs on there! Must find time to really sit down with RM and organise this stuff. I'd love to only have about 50 on there...

Cheers,
    Sam

• I've been working hard to pare down my rigs on the KPA...
    It's hard to do since I bought so many great profiles from Amp Factory and Soundside.
    One thing that works for me is to turn off the delay and verb then lock it while auditioning.
    The delay and verb sound so good it will fool you into thinking a profile is awesome.
    If it sounds great dry it stays.
    Then sort by rating, only 5 star stays.
    I've got it down to about 20 rigs

Now I can go back to playing the fu(%*$cking guitar!

Emilio

• I'm at about 14 or so, 3 I created myself and the remainder are TAF ones I bought. I keep all the rigs on RE on my RM. I don't have the internet at home so every time I have a chance to connect I just import all the new ones. I will use 5 for live, clean/pushed/dirty/metal/solo but add in a stomp box plus using the guitar volume makes that a lot of tonal possibilities within one performance slot. The remainder of rigs I just use for noodling...

I do need to go through what is available though, just haven't had the time yet.

I will say I have a very narrow band of tones which I consider to be good/usable. A lot of rigs (especially the very wet ones) just don't work for me.

• One thing that works for me is to turn off the delay and verb then lock it while auditioning.

I do this, too. In fact, Reverb is permanently locked on my KPA and I can't imagine that changing until they come up with a spring algorithm. Other reverb types with guitars just don't do it for me. Having said that, I like playing with Headphone Space at about 3.0 late at night ;)

Cheers,
    Sam

• I approached this from the other way. My KPA arrived yesterday, and the first thing I did was back up everything into RM, then take ALL the rigs off the KPA.

I've then gone through and put back on only the rigs I'd be using live (8 rigs). At home or rehearsal I'll have the laptop connected anyways and can load any other rigs should I need them.

• Yes, that's good practice to use the RM like that. - I normally try and leave a totally empty Kemper. - and drag and drop what I need on there for the "move" - everything can be auditiond via the RM so need need to store everything, unless tweeks need to be made & saved.

So I just use special folders that I keep profiles under, set-lists, (My own pack numbers), WIP, Tweeked, Clients, Genre, etc etc..and then drag and drop what I need, when I need it.. its really great (as long as your organised)..

• I approached this from the other way. My KPA arrived yesterday, and the first thing I did was back up everything into RM, then take ALL the rigs off the KPA.

I've then gone through and put back on only the rigs I'd be using live (8 rigs). At home or rehearsal I'll have the laptop connected anyways and can load any other rigs should I need them.

Great approach! :thumbup:

• Yes, that's good practice to use the RM like that. - I normally try and leave a totally empty Kemper. - and drag and drop what I need on there for the "move" - everything can be auditiond via the RM so need need to store everything, unless tweeks need to be made & saved.

So I just use special folders that I keep profiles under, set-lists, (My own pack numbers), WIP, Tweeked, Clients, Genre, etc etc..and then drag and drop what I need, when I need it.. its really great (as long as your organised)..

Hmmm, think I might steal your workflow there...!

Cheers,
    Sam