keeping OS backup on USB- side effects?

• As any good scout should know, always be prepared! Same goes for us musicians too.

So, I'm thinking it might be wise to keep an OS backup on my USB stick besides the backup-data itself.
    My only concern is that will the KPA keep checking or offering to update the OS if if discovers the kaos.bin file on the USB stick.
    Which then raises the question, is it better to only plug in the USB stick when required?

Be interested to know who keeps OS and backup data on their USB sticks and whether they leave them permanently connected, or not.

thanks

• Thanks for the tips, agree with everything mentioned here.
    Consider the situation where i am on tour away from civilisation/internet and having to carry all possible backup means with me using a kpa that is not my own.
    It's not so much of an issue for the studio or home users who have instant access to a PC/mac and the internet. I did read somewhere (within the forums) that some users have those tiny usb drives permanently connected for ease or where physical access is restricted.
    Perhaps there are some users out there that travel with nothing but a guitar and usb stick to remote gigs where a kpa is their spec'ed piece of gear?

• Thanks for the tips, agree with everything mentioned here.
    Consider the situation where i am on tour away from civilisation/internet and having to carry all possible backup means with me using a kpa that is not my own.
    It's not so much of an issue for the studio or home users who have instant access to a PC/mac and the internet. I did read somewhere (within the forums) that some users have those tiny usb drives permanently connected for ease or where physical access is restricted.
    Perhaps there are some users out there that travel with nothing but a guitar and usb stick to remote gigs where a kpa is their spec'ed piece of gear?

I highly, highly doubt it. Speccing gear is never an exact science, usually its just something like "marshall plexi style amp". Speccing a KPA and turning up night after night with a guitar expecting to find one would be insane. Especially seeing as the KPA is even more portable than a guitar anyway.

• I did read somewhere (within the forums) that some users have those tiny usb drives permanently connected for ease or where physical access is restricted.

I was the guy. Yes, my stick is always in place. It does no harm :)

And yes, if the local service is able to supply a Profiler, you can well travel Kemperless :thumbup:

• And yes, if the local service is able to supply a Profiler, you can well travel Kemperless :thumbup:

In theory, yes.
    But as chamelious pointed out I highly doubt the the profiler is part of the arsenal of your average backline supplier.
    In the future perhaps.

• I don't see any conflict between "if the local service is able to supply a Profile" and "doubt the profiler is part of the arsenal of your average backline supplier". Never implied that :)

• I don't see any conflict between "if the local service is able to supply a Profile" and "doubt the profiler is part of the arsenal of your average backline supplier". Never implied that :)

No you didn't, but in my (admittedly) experience at the beginning of a tour you either are guaranteed a Kemper at every venue or not. If not you are screwed and have to bring your own anyway. ;)

• No you didn't, but in my (admittedly) experience at the beginning of a tour you either are guaranteed a Kemper at every venue or not. If not you are screwed and have to bring your own anyway. ;)

That's for sure.
    Sometimes you leave for just one concert tho, or are able to go back home every time (like when you play in towns around yours). So "if the local service is able to supply a Profile"...

:)

• Maybe I'm hoping a bit much that the equipment providers could supply a KPA. No harm in asking I suppose? There's usually confirmation or conversation if requested gear is unavailable or an alternative needs to be supplied. My last spec'ed rig (before I owned a kpa) was anything marshall with at least 3 channels. Got to one gig and there was a tsl with a duff cable on the foot switch (losing use of the clean channel) and I think a valve had gone as there was very little gain on the dirty channels. (Bad luck)
    My kpa is racked up (with some other kit) and not what I class as hand luggage or something I'd be happy to put on a plane.
    My hope is that with the kpa becoming more widespread we can be guaranteed the same tones wherever one is in use. Then again, there might be other similar "guitar-systems" that others feel should be made more common over the kpa?
    Hmmm, Now where did I put that line6 pod... That'll be hand luggage :S:wacko::whistling:

• Leaving the firmware file on the USB-stick together with backups, rigs and presets does no harm. It has been metnioned, that the Profiler only suggests updates, if the firmware on the USB-stick differs from the revision currently installed. But even then there is no autmatism, you can always opt out. Having an USB-stick available with the firmware file in the root directory could open recovery options for very rare situations.