Profiling in 2 steps for a better preamp and cab separation

• Hi,

I think it could be interresting to split the profiling process in 2 steps :
    - Profiling the preamp alone
    - profiling the whole chain

It will make easier to switch off the cab (or switching the cab) and it also make easier the "cab only" profiling

What do you think ?

• It seems to me there's a serious flaw in this model: apparently, you're not considering the power section of the amp, which is the main component in the interaction between the amp and the cab.
    For a real separation of the cab you'll need to take the signal at the loudspeaker's poles.

Another issue is that rhe power amp sounds the way it does because it's driving that specific cab. And the cab sounds the way it does because it's driven by that specific power amp.

A dynamic interaction between power amp and cab is what makes a difference when you compare the Profiler to a modeller which uses a static IR.

While it's certainly funny (and really musical indeed) to change cab in a profile, you'll never get a more realistic sound than the whole chain profiled at once.

:)

• THIS!

• While it's certainly funny (and really musical indeed) to change cab in a profile, you'll never get a more realistic sound than the whole chain profiled at once.

But, If the way the amp was miced doesn't work for you, wouldn't be better that amp-cab separation (with the power amp included in the first part) than the one that we have now?

• Well, even when you swap cabs on a profile you keep a dynamic interaction: it's just that it's not the original one. It seems to me it's a rather good compromise )

Anyway, those you describe are two different dimensions: you'd trade the amp/cab dynamic interaction for a static, more-to-your-liking cone EQ. I prefer the current approach, but can see how this could be valuable for someone :)

It could be fun to "play" with a separation like the one you describe, but it would not be easy for most users to profile it: not all amps have a direct out (power amp output), and having to connect a wire to the speaker would make the whole profiling process rather complex.

:)

• Anyway, those you describe are two different dimensions: you'd trade the amp/cab dynamic interaction for a static, more-to-your-liking cone EQ. I prefer the current approach, but can see how this could be valuable for someone

It could be fun to "play" with a separation like the one you describe, but it would not be easy for most users to profile it: not all amps have a direct out (power amp output), and having to connect a wire to the speaker would make the whole profiling process rather complex.

I've been using some Two Notes Torpedo products with KPA DI profiles and the sound pretty good and usable in the context of a professional studio (we did some tests and the tones were usable in their opinion compared to the ones the get with their good collection of vintage and modern mics and preamps). Some of these products use non-linear convolution for some parts of the simulation.

Profiling this way shouldn't be a problem for commercial profilers.

But I agree, If you can tweak a profile to your taste, it's the best option.

• Yes, and they should sound even better because with the FW 3.0 DI Profiling there will be genuine separation between Pre-Amp/Poweramp & Cab.

Reads good !
    So we can compare: studio profiles <-> D.I.-profiles + merged cabinets <-> D.I.-profiles with impulse-cabs !