DuelAmps fun..(test)

• Greetings.

Just testing a few systems here. - that I thought I'd also share some of the journey here too.

Duel amp profiling I tried a while back with various results.. so Im now attacking again.. it sure can be fun.

In this download link are 3 profiles :-

Both amps have a AC booster in front of the amp (again for testing purposes)

AMP1 - Fender twin, mic: SM57
    AMP2 - Vox AC30, mic: SM57

Then the 3rd Profile is both of those profiled at the same time.

There has been no sweet spot generation on this, literally, a couple of really quick tests..just to see if it practically made sense. (so its all a bit mid-rangy) currently, as nothing is filtered etc etc) - but its not about quality this test, its about if you even notice a difference or not, is it worth the hassle, as it takes twice as long to setup, need to marry each amp with various settings to compliment each other, then Filtered at the desk so you get no cross-talk etc.

So anyway here is the link, make your own mind up.. - I think when the real mic's are in, and the amps are dialed in correctly, mics all setup correct, I think it will be quite cool!.

DOWNLOAD

Be well!

• Well there are thousands of ways to record amps, in duel or more cases, you often have them either side by side, or facing each other, so the cross-talk can be also captured. - you wont get this if you isolate them..

Duel amps can be used live for a different sound not just in studio time.

There are advantages to them, but its a common practice in a studio to use more than one amp..(albeit) most of the time you also capture that with room mics.. but that's extra details we cant have on the kemper..

So I used face to face, about 5 feet away from each other, so each of the mics bounces something to the other..this will be a lot more apparent when using a different array of condenser/ribbon with a lot more bleed ratio.

Hope that makes sense :)

• Sounds good , I like the Amp1 + Amp2 one especially. The mix of 2 adds a nice clarity .Its interesting to add in some direct signal as well just for yet another variable!

I guess the possibilities are endless and everyone will have their own take on what amps/cabs are best and then the proportional mix of same so trying to get a few that would appeal to a wide audience may be hard.

On the profiles, while the Vox takes the increase in gain on the Kemper well , the Fender twin gain is a very different sound and I find that makes it a little raspy .....just my humble opinion

Would be interesting to mix some amps similar to the ones that Lukather or EJ used for bi-amping .... almost as signature sets

( P.S. - Try the green scream in front of these )

• Well yes.. there are a million variables here with duel amp production.. "welcome to my world" lol

Its a lot more homework, and setup, and a lot more sculpting for sure.. this tests there is barely anything,.. just poped 2 mics down, ran to the desk, off I go.

Just don't judge me on these :) - super super quick fly tests!..

I just think it might be great!. and of course quite rewarding if you get the setup nailed.

• Well, it's little-traversed territory in the Kemper realm. Almost everything you do is new and exciting - that could make it worthwhile on its own right. Only Till Schleicher (did i get that right?..) really went that route full-on.
    I'll give them a spin tomorrow - this particular blend really sounds interesting! :thumbup:

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Well here is a updated better controlled test..

This time was a 2Rock Bi and the same fender twin.

57+121 combo on both, but the 121's are about 2 feet away (from each other) for cross talk.

This one works a bit better, as you can really hear the flubbyness of the fender, but the tightness of the 2rock.. its interesting...

However the profiles don't come out to a 100% match like it does normally, its more 70% ish.. (that's understandable) as there are 2 different gain structures going on at once...rather than me going for accuracy here im more interested in if it sounds good enough to use.. still much to explore.

This is more of a usable tone..

DOWNLOAD

• Hi Andy,

My favourite amp combination ever was an OR15 with gain about 1 or 2 o clock (treble about 7 o clock, mids about 11 o clock, bass about 12 o clock) mixed with a 5150 II set for major chug (treble around 7 o clock, mids around 9 o clock, bass around midday)......blending different amounts of 5150 for the amount of 'ugly'.

The cab was Framus 2 x 12 - V30 loaded for the OR15 and the 5150 II was going through the 2 x 12 Celestion G12 and Heritage speakers in a Marshall TSL122 combo.

The OR15 gave the beautiful creamy mids and non buzzy treble and the 5150 all the body and thump......I'd kill for a few profiles of that (different mixes of 5150 added to the OR15).....but would settle for paying for a pack :)

If you are open to including that in one of your profiling sessions I'd be a very happy bunny.

If you have the amps to try this combination I'd like to think you might be surprised what an awesome sound this combination is.

Cheers,
    Andy

PS - I know it's unlikely but if you don't ask, you don't get..... :)