Troubles with deleting rigs / names are still there, but rigs are gone

• Yesterday I first deleted about 300 rigs with RM for Mac beta and all the rigs were still there after switching my KPA on again.

Then I did the same with RM for Windows and now it gets really mysterious: I still could see the names of the deleted rigs on my KPA, but I couldn't load them anymore. So I had to delete everything manually again, this was a lot of wasted time...

I think RM stil is very buggy and I don't like "mysterious" things happening while using a software. I'll stay away from using RM in the future, it's ok for getting an overview of your profiles, but it doesn't work properly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• It's very buggy indeed, both platforms actually.

Here's what I found for the Windows platform:

1. Yesterday I tried to import 15.000 rigs into a fresh RM folder using "File / Import Rigs". The Import crashed RigManager. After restart, I imported the same amount of rigs via Drag'n'Drop and this worked.

2. After successful import, I started to delete lots of rigs (like 200 or 300) and watched the *.db file size. After each round of deleting I closed RigManager so the *.db file gets updated. And suddenly after another round of deleting, the files size doubled!? I know the file size won't shrink anymore once it's big because the RigManager doesn't provide the "VACUUM" command to reduce the file size of the *.db file.

3. It happened to me a few times that I tried to write a search term in the search box and after I entered the first letter the software was frozen for a few seconds and then continued to put the remaining part of the search term in the Rig Name field of the inspector. I had to be very careful to press ESC, otherwise rigs would have been renamed. :o

4. If you select rigs using Ctrl+Click and then try to scroll the list while still holding the Ctrl key, your selection will be messed up, wooooow! :o

So you really have to know the quirks to use the RigManager without risk. There's even more bugs but at the moment I can't remember the other quirks.

• I had the same problem with my Kemper a while ago. I could solve the problem with holding the Rig Button pushed while starting the Kemper. The Kemper then goes through all your rigs end deletes the Profiles (the ones with just the name that you can't load).

Thanks for the info, could have saved a lot of time yesterday... ;)

Anyway I'm back on working manually like in the "old times", I reduced my rigs to 220 and I don't need RM for that. A buggy software should stay in beta-status until it's working properly, seems there's still a lot of improvement required from CK.

I had constant RM-problems on all my computers (27" iMac using RM for Windows, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air - RM for Mac beta) and it's the only buggy software I've installed. All the "big" programs (Cubase 7.5, Wavelab 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic 9 ect.) are working perfectly with no crushes, freezing or whatever. It's funny, I recorded studio-sessions in my hotel-room during my last tour, using a Macbook Air (!) and a UAD Apollo Twin (+ Cubase 7.5) and everything was working perfectly, but this tiny RM is not deleting rigs properly, changing names, doubling rigs, freezing, sometimes syncing for hours ect. :thumbdown:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 3 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• A buggy software should stay in beta-status until it's working properly, seems there's still a lot of improvement required from CK.

guenter, that's why it is a public beta. do you think we would invite users to test software without a reason? at the same time, i'm surprised that your experience is so extremely negative whereas many here note bugs but they're happy working with RM. as for your feedback, just complaining doesn't help much - send us feedback (crash reports etc.) so we can have a look.

just a short notes in regards of failing deletion of rigs: as it turns out, this problem happens in profiler, not in rig manager. of course this doesn't make a difference for you but it shows that things are not that simple. we found that rigs cannot be deleted when there is a problem in regards of the rigs stored in profiler. holding the RIG button while powering up repairs the problem. eventually, the "broken" rigs were there a long time before you launched Rig Manager the first time.

gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• guenter, that's why it is a public beta. do you think we would invite users to test software without a reason?

I had the troubles with the deleted/not deleted files with the official Windows-version (RM running on W7), this is not a beta-version and out for quite a while. If KPA or RM is responsible for the errors I can't know, if I need some tricks to get rigs deleted I already have deleted with RM, there's definitively space for improvement. ;)

Generally for me there's a huge discrepancy between the rock-solid KPA and the buggy RM-software. RM is very simple and not a complex KPA-editor.

Maybe you can understand the disappointment of Mac-users like me, waiting for a very long time for a Mac-version and then getting a very buggy beta-version, which is imho unusable. But next time (hopefully not...) I'll give you immediate reports, on this point you're absolutely right, just complaining doesn't help at all.

Here some problems I had with RM for Mac:

- syncing rigs endlessly
    - freezing
    - sometimes I cannot rename rigs - RM doesn't react
    - changing names of rigs I didn't name/rename

Edited 4 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• Maybe you can understand the disappointment of Mac-users like me, waiting for a very long time for a Mac-version and then getting a very buggy beta-version, which is imho unusable.

Guenter, my friend, I'm afraid this makes no sense at all, and for a number of reasons.
    I understand your frustration tho

:)

• Guenter, my friend, I'm afraid this makes no sense at all, and for a number of reasons.
    I understand your frustration tho

:)

I never used any Beta-FW-versions, but with RM for Mac there's no alternative at the moment. Now there's an (beta-)update, maybe some of the problems are solved.

• Yesterday I first deleted about 300 rigs with RM for Mac beta and all the rigs were still there after switching my KPA on again.

Looks like this issue hasn't been fixed yet. Deleted 200 rigs from my Profiler using RigManager for Mac. Rigs were gone in the RigManager's list but still they were there on my Profiler's list. Had to do the RIG-Reboot trick to fix the list shown on the Profiler.

• Looks like this issue hasn't been fixed yet. Deleted 200 rigs from my Profiler using RigManager for Mac. Rigs were gone in the RigManager's list but still they were there on my Profiler's list. Had to do the RIG-Reboot trick to fix the list shown on the Profiler.

we are aware of the issue. from what we understand, it occurs when Profiler contains damaged rigs which cannot be deleted. a future firmware will address the problem.
    gs

• I keep all of my profiles on the computer in the program and only load what i need for a session. That way if Rig Manager is acting up at least the profile is protected on the computer....

• we are aware of the issue. from what we understand, it occurs when Profiler contains damaged rigs which cannot be deleted. a future firmware will address the problem.
    gs

GS, what are 'damaged rigs' in this context? From what I understand this happened with rigs that were perfectly playable before?
    Is there a kind of damage that only becomes apparent when trying to delete a rig via RM?

• GS, what are 'damaged rigs' in this context? From what I understand this happened with rigs that were perfectly playable before?
    Is there a kind of damage that only becomes apparent when trying to delete a rig via RM?

i realise that my attempt to simplify the explanation backfires ... :) we talk about rigs which cannot be deleted. the content of the rigs in question is fully okay. but when rig manager requests Profiler to delete them, it does't work out due to an inconstancy.
    it's a bit like a postman living in germany who's used to the house number always being a suffix to the road's name. one day, he has do deliver a post card from the UK to "240 Kemper Road" (which features the house number as a prefix to the roads name). poor postman cannot find the road "240" ... of course it is not exactly like this, it is just something that needs to be addressed. all we try to do is to smarten up the postman ;)
    gs

• i realise that my attempt to simplify the explanation backfires ... :) we talk about rigs which cannot be deleted. the content of the rigs in question is fully okay. but when rig manager requests Profiler to delete them, it does't work out due to an inconstancy.
    it's a bit like a postman living in germany who's used to the house number always being a suffix to the road's name. one day, he has do deliver a post card from the UK to "240 Kemper Road" (which features the house number as a prefix to the roads name). poor postman cannot find the road "240" ... of course it is not exactly like this, it is just something that needs to be addressed. all we try to do is to smarten up the postman ;)
    gs

You have a great way to explain things! Thanks! :)

• GS, what are 'damaged rigs' in this context? From what I understand this happened with rigs that were perfectly playable before?

Rigs were all 100% ok, unfortunately I didn't know the "Hold-Rig-Button-and-switch-KPA-on"-trick, would have saved me a lot of time. ;)