New song - Drift

• I seem to be writing quite a few at the moment and thought I'd post it here as a few folks seemed to enjoy the last one. Only me singing here but fear not - my daughter will be back on the next one. Which is just as well because she sings better than I do ;)

https://soundcloud.com/gary_w/drift

As usual, Soundcloud's wonderful compression means that it's rough in places where the original was not.... Original vocal is saturated in places but not distorted as it is now. And this was from a .wav file which is not clipping at all.... I've put a download link if you're wanting it.

Recording-wise, I used Amp Factory Evil Robot and Bi-Onyx profiles (full details on the Soundcloud page). And I just got the Pro-Q 2 from Fabfilter which is very nice.

Hope someone likes it :)

• nice song also Drift.. but.. when Drift has finished I listened to your Udu Bluedoo song and have to let you know that I enjoyed it veeery much.. super!! :thumbup: maybe you should re-record it with the toaster, hm?

and yes, computers (as you say) are fantastic in it, drums groove is very entertaining and also the sound of virtual guitar I liked..

I also really appreciate how meticulously you describe your workflow! Great!! :thumbup:

• Thank you for listening and taking the time to reply, guys - I appreciate it :)

Ingolf - thanks for the comparison. I'll put that one in my memory bank with gratitude. The way I tend to come up with the melodies is this.... I spend a lot of time in a car during the week (I sell medical equipment, a lot of car-time). Sometimes things come to me whilst I'm driving and I'll pull over / sing the melody into the iPhone so as I don't forget it. I'll then form the basic song. I then do a rough mix and listen to it on repeat in the car! As it plays over and the miles go by, I'll add little bits in my head and, when I get home, make them reality. It's great to use time that is otherwise wasted in this way. People often think I'd get tired of the driving but to be honest it's not a problem and making music in this way is one of the upsides :)

Hallan - thank you. Regarding Udu Bluedoo.... It's a while ago and re-recording it without some of the fluffs and a bit more interest would be good. Now, if only I could find the tracks..... It was on another PC hard drive!

As to explaining my workflow - forgive me as I'm a detail freak so I kind of put it down as much for me as for anyone else. Nice to know someone found it interesting :)

Thanks again to all three of you :)