Line 6 FBV to Kemper KPA bidirectional MIDI converter

• Though i have the remote in my studio, i am also using the FBV Longboard with the old Arduino based converter that mDan did. Since he had no access to a longboard some functions were not working 100%. So i am also interested. Maybe the old converter can be upgraded with a new firmware?

• Did anyone manage to monitor the communication between the KPA Remote and the KPA? Thinking about making a new "KempLine" with 2 Ethernet Ports...

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Always wanted to do a wireshark capture, but i am missing a POE injector.

Hm, didn't someone from Kemper mentioned that if you want to use longer cables you will need to use a switch/hub? If that's the case the protocol has to be standard ethernet. I guess you can log the data using a hub, will try it this evening.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Since the Remote is powered over CAT5, it will have to use POE. Other than that i wouldnt be compatible to the Ethernet standard. I am pretty sure that you will need to use POE enabled switches. Since a standard switch wouldn´t allow data monitoring for wireshark captures you would need a managable switch like from Cisco. I still have some old 100 Mbit/s ethernet hubs, which are great for wireshark captures, since they replicate each data packet onto each port. However, they have no POE, so an inexpensive POE injector will be the best choice i think.

• That's true, I somehow forgot that it's powered via Ethernet. Will build some adapter, shouldn't be that hard.

• Hi,
    is this a dead theme? I'm very interested, because i own a Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII. So it has Ethernet-Port and USB.
    What can i do to manage my Kemper with it. The Kemper Remote is too expensive.

Ist das Thema noch aktuell? Ich habe ein Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII. Es hat einen Ethernet-Port und USB. Könnte ich dann
    den Kemper damit steuern? Die Kemper Remote ist mir zu teuer, zumal man ja noch ein Pedal dazu kaufen müsste...

• I too would be interested in this converter as I also already own a FBV! The Kemper Remote looks very nice but agree that it is way too expensive, especially since I currently am using the Profiler strictly for studio and home use.

• Same here, RynoRiffs.

My FBV Shortboard is still brand new and not worth much second-hand. The fact that I haven't even used it once in 7 years or more speaks volumes for all the L6 processing gear I had.

I very much hope something can be done for the FBV. The single ethernet-cable hookup would be just like the Kemper's floorboard - Awesome!

C'mon, someone, please!
    Nicky

• Hey guys,
    I will soon be building converters to translate the Line 6 signal to MIDI output, espacially for the Kemper Profiling Amp.
    For anyone who is interested in it, please let me know. As soon as I have more than 20 requests I will start purchasing the parts and programming the code.

Hi Felix,
    I'm very interested, too. How can I send you an E-mail? I suppose you didn't active E-mail notifications in your preferences in this forum.
    Peter

• Hey guys,

I made some analysis on the data between the remote and the KPA and I think it is not very convenient for the FBV project ... it seems to be tailored for the remote (which I guess makes 100% sense) and the current platform (Arduino) is too slow. Could be used with a Raspberry Pi maybe - but I don't think it's worth the effort - what do you guys think? The Pi isn't as friendly for hardware extensions as the arduino so it would be bigger and more awkward to handle. Also there is no documentation and the Kemper team probably isn't too happy about reverse engineering the remote protocoll.

If there would be a KempLine Version 2 ... what would you guys improve over version 1 (Arduino shield - can be seen shortly here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    )?
    If there are enough interested maybe we could think about some kickstarter or so to officially produce and sell those?
    Or maybe someone from a country that hasn't as strict regulations as germany wants to produce/sell them? Or we find someone who sells electronic stuff anyways?

Regards
    Daniel