• hey!

i wonder what is the best way to record my guitar/bass with the kemper

XLR?

PL?

S/PDIF?

i havent got the chance to record through the S/PDIF out

how it it?

does is sound better?

• I've got SPDIF's but have switched to just using the analogs... no reverb and no delay.. do those post production... the dig's just caused interfacing issues for me.. I didn't have a problem with the sound; that was fine... just switching stuff on and off.. the Kemper just got in the way as the Master. (old story.. still the same news)

Gettin' funky up in here..

• It seems that the mic in front of a cabinet is the tried and trued formula for getting your guitar sound to your DAW... DI is good for that meat and potatoes guitar, the SPDIF/DI solution sound will suffice but sm57 plus cab is what the pro's have been using for years, somehow the sonic clarity of a mic coupled with a cab is what our ears are accustomed too of which I have a problem achieving with the DI solution, maybe I have not found the VST plugin to give me that in the room feeling LOL.

Back to the topic:
    SPDIF gives the best representation of what the Kemper can achieve as a DI solution. In fact I am of the opinion that Kemper is the best guitar amp recording device that we have right now and has been cropping up in quite a few studios as a DI solution. The sound emanating from SPDIF is the best solution for capturing a guitar tone(Lokasenna says)but the only thing lacking as far as my ears tell me is that live presence or let's say that in the room feel.

• It seems that the mic in front of a cabinet is the tried and trued formula for getting your guitar sound to your DAW... DI is good for that meat and potatoes guitar, the SPDIF/DI solution sound will suffice but sm57 plus cab is what the pro's have been using for years, somehow the sonic clarity of a mic coupled with a cab is what our ears are accustomed too of which I have a problem achieving with the DI solution, maybe I have not found the VST plugin to give me that in the room feeling LOL.

Back to the topic:
    SPDIF gives the best representation of what the Kemper can achieve as a DI solution. In fact I am of the opinion that Kemper is the best guitar amp recording device that we have right now and has been cropping up in quite a few studios as a DI solution. The sound emanating from SPDIF is the best solution for capturing a guitar tone(Lokasenna says)but the only thing lacking as far as my ears tell me is that live presence or let's say that in the room feel.

These are contradictory statements. For one, the Kemper represents the same sound as a miked up guitar cab, since that is what was profiled, so in essence, we get recording ready tones when we choose good profiles. As far as in the room, it can never be the same as just plugging into a amplifier. But that said, the sound you hear will be "in the room", since this is the space you are hearing the sound in, except it's more of a miked amp in the room sound, which is great when sent through the FOH.

As far as the OP's question, I'd say SPDIF if you want your signal to be as pristine as possible, without additional AD conversion. But it's nitpicking and the sound you get through the analog outs is pretty much the same when recorded, though you might feel it's a bit grittier when you audition it.

Back to the topic:

I'd say that this statement USED TO BE true.
    As you can read in the Michael Wagener thread this has gradually and substancially changed to the point the the profiler is THE DIRECT RECORDING TOOL because it incorporates the whole signal chain incl your preferred microphone and mic position.