Balancing input sense settings for multiple guitars

• You never break a string? I often play just one guitar all night, but I have another one there, just in case.

Being the lead singer in the band, I have to keep singing if I do break a string. I can change a string quicker on my PRS than I can unplug the cable and swap guitars. I think I have only broke a string live once in 2 years ;)

• I once saw a singer change a string on his guitar while he kept on singing at the microphone…impressed the hell out of me!

I don't (can't) sing!

But I always use at least three guitars in a gig, a Strat for surf and blues, a hollowbody with HB's for the jazzier stuff and a Tele with P90's for slide. Sometimes a Gretsch White Falcon.
    Since sticking to one input setting, I can handle the transition between guitars much easier.

• I cant get CS down low enough to stop my PRS from running the KPA in red input all the time ...its the only guitar that I've had problems with this way. I generally run clean sens at about -2 or -3 to prevent break up . I never touch DS

• I cant get CS down low enough to stop my PRS from running the KPA in red input all the time ...its the only guitar that I've had problems with this way. I generally run clean sens at about -2 or -3 to prevent break up . I never touch DS

I never touch DS either my CS on my Navarro PRS is -10, maybe you could adjust your pickup height that might help :)

• I think it depends on the profile as well though , some are worse than others for some reason. I never had the issue with a live amp either which is strange

The issue doesn't happen with a live amp because we set the knobs to sound right with our own guitars.

But, if someone makes a medium to high gain profile with the amp's knobs set for a low output, bright sounding single coil guitar, plugging in a mahogany bodied humbucker guitar will sound completely different - it will have much more gain, and be much darker.

• I'm not trying to go over old ground again but... the difference in profile levels means that some are quieter and need to be pushed to reach a comparable output level for live use ...that's why I previously suggested the wish for profiles to be uniformly levelled ...If your clean sens is at max minus and your profile is still quieter than others in your rig bank then its an awful lot of work to bring down the levels of others to make sure your 1 profile is comparable

• I'm not trying to go over old ground again but... the difference in profile levels means that some are quieter and need to be pushed to reach a comparable output level for live use ...that's why I previously suggested the wish for profiles to be uniformly levelled ...If your clean sens is at max minus and your profile is still quieter than others in your rig bank then its an awful lot of work to bring down the levels of others to make sure your 1 profile is comparable

If you have one profile that is too quiet, there are many ways to make it louder:

1) Turn up the profile Volume knob, and save it.

2) Turn up the Cabinet Volume in the Stack section

3) Add Pure Boost in the "X" Slot.

• I use a certain commercial set of profiles for my main live sounds .....

I've done all those and when a profile needs to be maxed out on Volume (c.80% ) and the Cab section is up ( 60% ) and the Boost is up ( 60%) with an already clean sens at -12 and its still breaking up then there must be an issue....microphonic pups maybe ?

• I use a certain commercial set of profiles for my main live sounds .....

I've done all those and when a profile needs to be maxed out on Volume (c.80% ) and the Cab section is up ( 60% ) and the Boost is up ( 60%) with an already clean sens at -12 and its still breaking up then there must be an issue....microphonic pups maybe ?

Is your input hot on clean amps or distorted amps? I had to drop my DS by -1.4db as it was overloading my distorted sounds. You might want to try that. It made all the difference for me and the amps finally were usable and sounding like I Thought they should.

• Does -12 clean sense make you clean sounds louder or quieter?

My guess is that profile is not considered to be a clean sound by the KPA. As an experiment, try something like a Roland JC-120 rig.

Tried the Roland 120 Paul , It makes my clean sound quieter. Its still driving the input to red. .

I think I may have found the answer though... I may have microphonic pickups

• Is your input hot on clean amps or distorted amps? I had to drop my DS by -1.4db as it was overloading my distorted sounds. You might want to try that. It made all the difference for me and the amps finally were usable and sounding like I Thought they should.

Clean Amps Drog

• Had an issue the other night in terms of levels again through my own fault....

Was doing a gig and using my usual clean , crunch and lead profiles when one of the guys in the band called a song we hadn't done in about 7-8 months.

I kicked in the patch and it was about 50-60% louder than my other sounds ....oops

If there was an overall patch output leveller / limiter ( of some sort ) this couldn't happen....

I know it was my fault though 8|