Question about FRFR monitors

• Hi all,

I am considering one day purchasing an Atomic CLR or something of that nature, but how will I be sure my band members will be getting a good representation of my sound through their monitors? Wouldn't their monitor (probably a house wedge) color the sound of the profile, possibly in a negative way?

In some rooms I'm sure most members would be able to hear my guitar through my FRFR cab (depending on placement, of course. And maybe they'd need to reinforce it a tiny bit in their wedge), but in others they would need to get it mostly from their monitor.

It's been a mystery to me...any thoughts?

Thank you.

Cal

• yes it would color your sound - but the same is true if they would get your miked real amp sound.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The thing to remember is that while the sound might be coloured [OPEN EDIT] ON THEIR AMPS [CLOSE EDIT], it is likely to be more "uniform" across multiple sound sources. So it'll sound roughly the same on the PA and those multiple wedges.

The idea is to get the sound you hear to "translate" as well as possible across different sources. That's why I tweak with monitors. If I wanted a solution for a room or small bar, or to monitor myself, I would definitely look for something like the CLR or a DXR12, based on the reviews I've seen on these forums. If I could afford it, that is :D

• Armin nailed it IMO. The colouration produced by your bandmates' monitoring has nothing to do with your main cab.

As for using a CLR on stage, it might help you to be aware that its diffusion pattern is rather different than most linear cabs. The CLR is designed to sound as even as possible within 90 solid degrees (evener than the average cab), and to quickly drop the overal sonic energy outside that angle.

Depending on the band's and stage size, if they rely on your CLR to hear you the best option could be to use it as side fill.

For stage and FOH sound, I'd mount it on a pole.
    Of course two CLR would be great and accomplish any possible task in any scenario! :)

HTH

• Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking that it would be the drummer who would most likely need to get some of my guitar in his monitor....the other guys should be able to hear my sound coming from the CLR (should I decide to go that route.) I'm not interested in using it as a side fill, although that may change once I get used to it.

But if I use it as a wedge in front of me, that could present another problem. The people in the first few rows might not hear my guitar at all since they are too close and the PA is spread out wide. In that case I would probably have to place the CLR behind me, correct? And then the drummer would definitely need to get some in his wedge.

This is all new to me...I'm sure with some experimentation I'll work it out, and different rooms/stages will probably require a different approach.

• Yup I hate the tone that gets bled through our PA monitors live. I just find the point on stage where the PA monitor they set up for me is loudest and point my KPA monitor directly at that point so it drowns it out lol.

Also use the EQ in the output section to tweak your Main Outs (if that's what you use to go to front of house). Chances are it will be dramatically different than your CLR. This also may help your stage monitors to sound better.

• The people in the first few rows might not hear my guitar at all since they are too close and the PA is spread out wide. In that case I would probably have to place the CLR behind me, correct?

Yes, but on a pole. This way you will not be the only one getting the correct timbre.
    Remember anyway to correctly set the DSP preset.

• Yes, but on a pole. This way you will not be the only one getting the correct timbre.
    Remember anyway to correctly set the DSP preset.

Hmm...

This is where my old-fashioned ideas about guitar gear start to kick in. I'm not a fan of the "guitar speaker on a pole" idea...I guess I'm not in love with the way it looks.
    But I think I can get over it if that's what is needed for it to sound right. Might be weird at first though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't decided which way I'm going with this yet...the KPA (which I absolutely LOVE) may end up being a recording amp only. We'll see....I don't even have the funds to buy any more gear to go with it at the moment and probably won't for quite some time. Those CLR's are expensive....especially the Neo which is what I want. And I want 2 of them!

• Hmm...

This is where my old-fashioned ideas about guitar gear start to kick in. I'm not a fan of the "guitar speaker on a pole" idea...I guess I'm not in love with the way it looks.
    But I think I can get over it if that's what is needed for it to sound right.

If the cab is on the ground, the related DSP presets will make it sound even and balanced for one position only (the player). When on a pole, you'll get a much wider nice spot, which reaches the audience as well.

Note: consider this as a plus, not a con: a guitar amp never sounds even, no matter where you put it. Jay Mitchell has spent a goon amount of posts about the cab (any cab) placement and how it affects the perceived sound by both the player(s) and the audience.

Also, you do not strictly need an actual pole: any stand not larger than the cab's footprint able to keep it raised from the ground and far from the walls will do the job, even a short Dorian column. It's a matter of freqs renforcement.
    HTH

• This is where my old-fashioned ideas about guitar gear start to kick in. I'm not a fan of the "guitar speaker on a pole" idea...I guess I'm not in love with the way it looks.
    But I think I can get over it if that's what is needed for it to sound right. Might be weird at first though.[/quote]

It's a paradigm shift I know.

Those CLR's are expensive....especially the Neo which is what I want. And I want 2 of them!

Work out and buy the non- Neo... :)