Kemper owner today

• The first option is to use the same system you used in the store... Or one along its line. What was it? If we know what you liked we can be of further help
    :)

Good question! I never got a chance to try for myself and to look. The dealer showed it for me with his own guitar, his PEAK controller and some amps which he used himself. I only know he used just a single small cabinet with one speaker. So I called him to find out...: In the store he used a single 112 Jackson Ampworks cabinet.

Since I have a Marshall VS 212 and a Line 6 stereo and mono 412 cab (320 W) I thought I should be able to get some sound from either one too. But this not my concern for now.
    Explaining of the Kemper by the dealer was not an issue. Indeed he showed me some things but he was technically also way ahead of me because he uses this Kemper quite often for doing gigs. So I figured out: How difficult can it get trying this myself at home?
    Maybe I have been too optimistic about that.... :)

• Thanks for all replies until now! I wish someone told me before that I should have to buy another cabinet to get results. I have allready 2 cabs.
    And Yes... I have a brand new unused Sennheiser G3 IEM system so on stage that will be no problem (If I in time know how to use the Kemper) I'm not in a band now so in the meantime I'm hoping and willing to learn the Kemper's structure and routings.

• What matters most is whether he used a linear cab or more a guitar cab. The specs are very poor on the Jackson's site, but I'd say it's a guitar cab with some bass reinforcement.

The suggestions to use a linear cab (such as a PA cab) are hence somehow misleading.
    Let's take a deep breath and start again.

You can attain a huge variety of sounds from the Profiler. I consider the "I should buy another cab" statement somehow erroneous. Every profile has got a sound on its own, because all the amps/cabs/mics/tweaks combinations available in this part of the Universe make for a diversity of sounds.
    The more linear the loudspeaker you use, the more faithfully you'll hear the profiled sound(s). But what you heard at the store was not linear, so you owning different hear is not the issue here. You just have to be aware that every single piece of gear you use imparts its own contribution to any source, be it a guitar amp or a digital simulator. Try and swap a cab on a guitar head and listen to the (huge) differences in sound you get!

Hard to say if you're doing something wrong from a distance. I'm pretty sure if an experienced user was with you now you'd solve any issue in minutes.
    Would going back to the store and use the Profiler by yourself now that you got to know it a bit better be an option?

Meanwhile, check that you're not overloading any possible inputs or outputs, check that volumes are not too low not too high, move your cabs away from walls/corners, and try all your cabs with and without the cab simulation.
    Also, take a line from the Monitor out and feed the return of an amp of yours, and see how you like it.
    Last but not least, use headphones with the Space parameter on.
    This diversity will help you (us) debug your profiler experience :D

• OK, first up could you describe in more detail what it is that's lacking in the sound for you.

Is it too harsh/fizzy/trebly? Or conversely is it too soft/muffled/bassy?

Is it a subtle difference to what you heard in the store, or a substantial one?

There are two main factors involved ehre. First of course is the cabinet and output settings on the Kemper, you can adjust these by disabling or enabling the cabinet simulation on the Kemper for it's outputs, and tweaking the global EQ. You also need to make sure you're ohm atched and not pushing too much with the KPA as it is a 600 watt amplifier, too much and your speakers will distort and the result will sound like crap.

The other side is your guitar, each guitar is different and at the store you may have used a low output instrument or high and at home you're using something quite different, you need to visit your input panel and adjust your clean and dirty sens settings (I would also recommend turning the noise gate all the way down to 0 and locking that in place).

At both ends you need to avoid clipping (master volume control and input sense settings control this for output and input respectively).and you should start to get towards where you want to be.

• Many sounds sound alike: clean or distorted. (using Browser (next to
    TUNER) and then scroll through rigs with BROWSE knob) and add sometimes
    tweak on delay and reverb to make them more spacious. I use a Gibson Les
    Paul Jimmy Page 1995.
    All of this not too loud at home (using
    master volume and volume.) In OUTPUT I switched Monitor Cab OFF. For now
    connected to a Line 6 412 320 W mono switched left only, 8 Ohm.
    It
    will do for now. I guess learning from the Kemper's structure and
    routings is more important. And reading all contributions from everyone
    helps! Thank you! :)

VIABCROCE hit the nail on his head: If an experienced user could show me how everything is routed and done I'd be on my way probably within days. Most youtubes only explain the possibilities, and don't show how to get there. Many manuals do the same: they only describe and don't show how.
    Reading English technical stuff is a drag...I rather use this precious time to play...

A

• The sounds being very similar to each other is due to the cab I'm afraid. If you want the best possible Kemper experience with the widest possible range of tones you need to use a speaker/cab that offers a flattish frequency response and enable the cab simulation on the Kemper side of things, a so called FRFR speaker. Otherwise you'll find most amps sound very similar, just as with other amps you'd find they all have a tendency to sound very samey through the same cab.

If you have studio monitors try using them instead with the cab enabled, or just use headphones, you should get something closer to the sounds you were after. If so then you know that you need to get yourself a monitor that's more suited to the task.

• Seconded. A guitar cab imparts a huge portion of the overall sound, with tube amps as well. Try with headphones (and cab profile ON) and you'll experience a lot of difference.

Also, try keeping cabs on with the 4x12: it often sounds better. You might be surprised, specially since your Line6 is designed for their modellers, and could have a decent extended range. :thumbup:

• The sounds being very similar to each other is due to the cab I'm afraid. If you want the best possible Kemper experience with the widest possible range of tones you need to use a speaker/cab that offers a flattish frequency response and enable the cab simulation on the Kemper side of things, a so called FRFR speaker. Otherwise you'll find most amps sound very similar, just as with other amps you'd find they all have a tendency to sound very samey through the same cab.

If you have studio monitors try using them instead with the cab enabled, or just use headphones, you should get something closer to the sounds you were after. If so then you know that you need to get yourself a monitor that's more suited to the task.

I have a pair of powered KRK Rokit-6 monitors and I will put them into place.Thanks for the suggestion. I'll switch to Monitor cab ON.

• Also, try keeping cabs on with the 4x12: it often sounds better.

I'm a bit reluctant to give that recommendation myself as in my experience with different cabs it always sounds better with cabs off.
    I tried Marshall 4x12" Celestion GT 12-75, Vox 2x12" Greenback, Vox 2x12" Alnico Blue, Vox 1x12 Alnico Blue, plus the cab of the Mustang III with a Celestion G12T-100.

You might be surprised, specially since your Line6 is designed for their modellers, and could have a decent extended range. :thumbup:

This may well be true as the speakers that Line 6 used for their early cabs (Vetta, Spider, etc.) often were supposed to have an extended range, not a typical guitar speaker anyway.
    This changed IIRC when they started to use valves. The Spidervalve was equipped with a Celestion V30.
    What speakers are in your cab?
    Anyway, it doesn't hurt to push that cabs button to hear what sounds better. ;)

• WOW, that makes a big difference. I'm coming closer...

I have been working around and trying to get close to particular guitarsounds. I found out that double pressing on switches in the above section lead me to other wanted effects, other amps, cabs etc, though in rigs they are not chosen at that time.
    This lead me to tweak to a special guitarsound which almost is the same as David Kincaids Gibson SG with flanger during his live version of Trial by Fire (The Brandos, Rockpalast Loreley 1999)
    So now we're getting somewhere. Thanks guys!!

• Glad you find your way around the profiler...
    And it's all in the manuals... :)

(And done this without the manuals...but I will come to that for details!)

The manual says on page 18: store button: Pressing Store in Browse mode ....etc.
    But with this tweaked sound I'm in Perform mode now. Still I want to store this sound (with knobs STORE, CABINET and FULL PERFORMANCE flashing.....

• I'm a bit reluctant to give that recommendation myself as in my experience with different cabs it always sounds better with cabs off.

Don't give it... I'll take care of it myself :D

Since the OP is desperate about chasing a decent sound, and many guitar cabs do sound better with cab sim on, as others have reported as well, it is definitely worth a try :)

Generally speaking, I favour an open attitude towards things. When things don't hurt anyone, I'm all in for getting to know things first hand rather than relying on rules. Experience itself is a very good source for knowledge and wisdom.
    If I had never tried switching cabs on with a guitar cab just because this is what the manual reads and what people suggest, I'd have not discovered that it actually sounds better in many cases.
    :)

OP, you can just keep buttons pressed instead of pushing them twice.
    And, for godness'sake, READ THE FREAKING MANUAL! You're having huge issues with a unit you don't know anything about?! :rolleyes:

• This is something that puzzles me actually. I'd love to have the possibility to try more cabs myself.
    What puzzles me most tho is that I always tried via an amp's return socket, which should make it to sound better with Cab on even less likely.
    OTOH the difference was undisputably clear, it has never been a matter of taste or opinions. The musicians in the room had the same clear impression :|

• It depends on the profile for me (powerrack). some sound great with cab on some with cab off. It also depends on the volume I got the monitor out at (Kemper has some preamp rigs that say leave cab on) they sound awesome especially the Rivera.
    Some profiles get a static sound when you switch the cab off on mine. I'm looking at getting a CLR in the future because of all the great things I hear. I have played through a bunch of frfr setups. Like a pair line 6 lt3's and yamaha Dsr 12 and yes even an old behringer setup thathat was very old. you can hear a difference in every one of them big time.

I use the 412 as my main monitor along with the PA I guess I just get lucky because it blends great with most PA setups gives a great dynamic and has its own volume setting. It may sound good because I'm just glad to be out of the house doing stuff and like all kinds of sounds and music. I'm new to kemper but man I love it!!!!!!! :thumbup: and thanks for all the input forum people

Edited 7 times, last by Lash ().