FW 2.6 thread

• My experience with 2.6 and only older profiles with LFC on is really really good. I play a lot of metal with high gain and the difference is actually very big. I also run a 12" 300w studio monitor subwoofer and before 2.6 profiles had WAY WAY too much bass in the sub region, I know this because I was constantly having to adjust my sub's output levels. After 2.6 the sub region is rock solid and more like a real amp's wallop.

• The profiles that i loved before sound to my ears now even better. So lets say i was happy with 2.5 but im 2.6 was "wow" and i only like profiles that i dont have to tweak.
    im talking about studio use mainly, but also more about highgain.

I agree that the bass issue on older profiles is fixed.
    but that wasn't my point, my problem was the profiling process with 2.6, not how older profiles sound now.

But the Kemper guys are awesome and I'm sure they're working on this and the official release will blow all previous versions out of the water again ;)

• To me the older profiles with LFC work fine now. When I had to raise the bass parameter by a bit before, I can drop it to 0 now on older profiles and it's fine.

I haven't made up my mind completely about profiling in 2.6 yet...not sure if it's "worse different" or just "different different".

Altho it still sounds pretty awesome to me anyway, but a lot of use gearheads are in it for the last few % haha

Edit: although the more I listen to it the more I think it's an issue of getting used to the "new way" the kemper interprets the mids in the new firmware.
    It seems like the kemper always was a tad tighter with less lows and low mids, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around the differences in the firmware profiling.
    In some way it sounds better cause it's close, and in another it's not quite as cool as it was before.
    No idea, I'm quite puzzled tbh. Might just take some time to get used to.

Maybe it's just different with different amps, and that's why the experiences vary?

I'm inclined to do another test like the one I did when the release version of 2.6 comes out...maybe also try it with more than one amp as well.

• I always prefer to get a realistic reproduction of an instrument and then tweak it for my needs, and have to say don't get along with the "you'd cut it in the mix anyway" idea; although I can see how more mix-ready sounds could be more practical for sound engineers.
    :)

"You'd cut it in the mix anyway" is not what I meant, but generally 2.6.0 doesn't seem to work perfect already (it's a beta...), even there are a lot of enthusiastic reactions. I'm just more careful with installing beta-versions and because I don't see that big difference between 2.5.0 and 2.6.0-beta, for me it's not a problem to wait for the official release.

Using 2.6.0-beta I sometimes noticed strange noises/interactions on some high-gain-profiles from the 12th fret and above. I also felt a lack of bass on other profiles (LFC activated), that's the main reason I went back to 2.5.0.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Not to derail the ongoing discussion, but;
    I just got to try the new FW live a couple of days ago.
    1. Sounds much better through studio monitors - much more amp-ish and up-front.
    2. Live, i had to cut bass in the master out - ended up with -1.4 compared to FW 2.5 - but after that, it sounded much better. Tighter, but still very full. I was really missing some low-mids before.
    3. Rig switching speed. I can't thank you guys enough for this (I'm guessing i should be addressing Timo on this?).
    I actually kept missing my cues because i'm so used to clicking early. Awesome.

All in all, great FW update. No oddities here, for me, but i haven't tried it through S/Pdif yet.
    :thumbup:

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Uh sorry, I must have misunderstood. So why you don't care about what's below 60 Hz?
    :)

Generally I'll cut the deep end of guitars in the mix, but 2.6.0 is not just affecting the low end, here's CK's explanation:

We did not really "tweak" the profiling algorithm, instead we simply took away an internal parameter, that was a bit "tweaked too much" at first place. The profiling is "purer" now.

Many here are talking about a "tighter" or "more defined" sound, so the deletion of an internal parameter probably will affect more than frequencies below 60 Hz. Personally I'm not a big fan of FW-updates changing the character and sound of all profiles. What's "more defined" for someone could be "more sterile" for somebody else, tastes are different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• If you don't like the change, just click on the LFC button in the system menu. You'll get all the benefits of 2.6 and the same sounds as previous firmware revisions.

I don't find a difference in the sound of the Kemper. What I find is that certain resonant frequencies are eliminated. As a result, the mud is gone. But the character of the tone remains intact.

Of course, that's only my ears. If someone would be willing to do a spectral analysis of 2.6 vs 2.5 vs 2.6 without LFC, I would be extremely grateful. :thumbup:

Come on, you tech wizards! Get off your a**es! ^^

• If you don't like the change, just click on the LFC button in the system menu. You'll get all the benefits of 2.6 and the same sounds as previous firmware revisions.

THIS!

No need to go back to 2.5 because of (unwanted) sound change.
    If you don't want the compensation in the old rigs just click the button.

• 2.5 and 2.6 are like a Sky and Earth .
    I am not going back to 2.5 ,even the real disguising bugs start to crawl from my Kemper with 2.6 in :P 8)

Yesterday I made a new song with Pitbull MKII (Killian Blees tweaked version + Tills cab ) because my Tom Anderson H1 pick up and this rig never sounded so good with any of previous OS.
    Also, I never paid too much attention to that rig in the past, anyway, it was good, that's al.
    Now, It is simply Holly Grail of H1 neck pickup and Anderson mahogany machine .
    I feel like I can produce 3 new songs per day with this shit, since is sooo inspirative and pumping !

Wondering which else profiles/rigs will improve so much as MKII rig improved .
    The free time is only we need now , since it looks like all rigs have to be re-assessed again and tweaked for 2.6
    Who knows how many brilliant rigs will be discover .......just because 2.6 remove the blanket .

Bravo Kemper !

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• THIS!

No need to go back to 2.5 because of (unwanted) sound change.
    If you don't want the compensation in the old rigs just click the button.

*sigh*-...

Well, that button only affects older profiles which were profiled with older firmware...but noone is complaining about that, cause...well, as people keep repeating, you can switch it off.
    so that point is settled and doesn't need any further discussion...it actually never needed any at all, cause noone was complaining about that.

The "problem" that some people encountered (myself included) is NOT how older profiles sound now, but how profiles CREATED WITH 2.6 don't sound satisfying (to some of us), and you cannot switch that off/go back to the old profiling process (without downgrading to 2.5 I mean).

• The "problem" that some people encountered (myself included) is NOT how older profiles sound now, but how profiles CREATED WITH 2.6 don't sound satisfying (to some of us), and you cannot switch that off/go back to the old profiling process (without downgrading to 2.5 I mean).

Hi Lassee, just out of interest: Have you been in contact with Kemper about this and what did they say about the profiling problem? :)

• Lasse, any chance you can post clips of a profiled and refined rig with 2.5 and 2.6? I'd be curious to hear the differences. I just got my Kemper, and I went straight to the 2.6 beta. Haven't used the 2.5 firmware.

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me... I know that I can deactivate LFC, but why should I use the 2.6.0-beta without using LFC? I get all the "benefits" from 2.6.0? What I get is a beta-version with several bugs instead of a stable official version.

Going back to 2.5.0 takes a few minutes. ;)

It's great that many here love the changes from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0-beta, but I need a stable and bug-free version, that's whay I'll wait until the official 2.6.0 will be released.

• I know that I can deactivate LFC, but why should I use the 2.6.0-beta without using LFC? I get all the "benefits" from 2.6.0? What I get is a beta-version with several bugs instead of a stable official version.

For one, faster rig switching.

For two, you can just activate LFC and it doesn't change anything. Not too sure about the profiling side of things though, so I guess that would depend on how much you profile. From my side of things, the sound is "improved" and therefore a benefit, since what I'm hearing is that there's an issue while profiling, not when using profiles ^^