Kemper for AXE FX II?

• I profiled the Axe Fx. I used the Misha Mansoor FW18 Rythm preset! But which one is the KPA which one is the Axe? :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ^^^

Proves that the Kemper is exactly as good as the person setting up the amp for recording (or the emulator it is profiling ;)).

Anyone suggesting the Axe has a 'better' tone when comparing like amps would probably also think that the variation in Kemper profiles of the same amp done by various people are 'better' or 'worse' than each other too.

The Kemper is at the mercy of those capturing the amp - the Axe is completely controlled. Easier to get to a good tone with a controlled environment ... but that doesn't mean it's better.

There is no ceiling on the Kemper, I don't think.

• I'll bet on the Kemper being the first, but i can't decide which i like more.
    The first is a tad smoother. The second is clearer and less muffled.

Anyway, i'd be interested in the profile more than the solution :)
    Any chance of you sharing it?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• +1 to that bro!

I´ve uploaded the Profile, I hope it works (" Misha FW18 Rythm ")!
    Quitty is right! :P

Tweaked it a bit and there you go with the CHUGGING from doom :D

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (no post eq or anything)

• +1 to that bro!

I´ve uploaded the Profile, I hope it works (" Misha FW18 Rythm ")!
    Quitty is right! :P

Tweaked it a bit and there you go with the CHUGGING from doom :D

(no post eq or anything)

Sounds really good!

• You´re welcome!

I´m trying to list some pros and cons I´ve noticed after half a week of playing and tweaking (including a comparison --> subjective as hell!! :P ). Sadly I won´t be able to do much with the Axe Fx this week :( (Finals in Analysis :P )

Pros Cons
    Axe Fx
    • very direct, powerfull and dynamic singal
    • very easy to tweak (editor on your PC)
    • effects sound really great
    • signal LEDs on the front are really informative
    • tonematch is really good
    • very heavy
    • fans are a little noisy
    • interface on the unit itself is complicated
    • allthough there is an editor, editing presets and stuff can be complicated
    • the price in europe!!!!
    • sound changes with every firmare update
    Kemper
    • homogenious sound
    • knobs on the unit itself are nice to turn and there is plenty of them :)
    • more user friendly interface (on the unit itself)
    • very light
    • profiling is outstanding, especially if you put some work in it
    • tweaking is difficult (physically)
    • no editor !!!
    • hard times getting the tone you want with factory profiles
    • booting time
    • effects sometimes tend to sound a bit dull
    • prescribed possition for the delay and reverb effect slot
    • not exactly very versatile

so.. that are the main aspects I noticed. Remember.. this is my opinion and I don´t want to start a war :)

• You´re welcome!

I´m trying to list some pros and cons I´ve noticed after half a week of playing and tweaking (including a comparison --> subjective as hell!! :P ). Sadly I won´t be able to do much with the Axe Fx this week :( (Finals in Analysis :P )

Pros Cons
    Axe Fx
    • very direct, powerfull and dynamic singal
    • very easy to tweak (editor on your PC)
    • effects sound really great
    • signal LEDs on the front are really informative
    • tonematch is really good
    • very heavy
    • fans are a little noisy
    • interface on the unit itself is complicated
    • allthough there is an editor, editing presets and stuff can be complicated
    • the price in europe!!!!
    • sound changes with every firmare update
    Kemper
    • homogenious sound
    • knobs on the unit itself are nice to turn and there is plenty of them :)
    • more user friendly interface (on the unit itself)
    • very light
    • profiling is outstanding, especially if you put some work in it
    • tweaking is difficult (physically)
    • no editor !!!
    • hard times getting the tone you want with factory profiles
    • booting time
    • effects sometimes tend to sound a bit dull
    • prescribed possition for the delay and reverb effect slot
    • not exactly very versatile

so.. that are the main aspects I noticed. Remember.. this is my opinion and I don´t want to start a war :)

Great analysis. Thanks for posting.

One big difference you'll notice on this forum, versus TGP or the Fractal Forum, is that we are all about what works for the individual. Generally you won't find any wars here. Everyone's ears are different, and everyone's needs are different. That's why having great choices is awesome.

Of course, these are proud KPA owners here, and many of us (me included) love to sing the praises of the Kemper's great amp tones. For the most part, we think the KPA does amp tones better, and that's why we have chosen the Kemper (often after having played both). But whatever works best for you is the right choice, and we'll all be glad for you.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• The Axe FX definitely has some very cool features that would be great to see in the Kemper at some point.
    haven't had a chance to try one, but just by watching some tutorials on YouTube, it's clear how good the FX and the editor are.

• So you are keeping the Axe?

I´m not sure at the moment. Having both units would be awesome but I think I´ll send the Axe back since there is not this huge difference between both and the price of the Axe is the decisive factor for me (as a student).
    But I got plenty of time left profiling some of my favorite Axe presets and maybe share them with you? :P

And thanks for the kind words Desiato!

• Dude, please share 'em! Just think about how much money you'll be saving us all. I know buying the KPA sent me broke...

One big difference you'll notice on this forum, versus TGP or the Fractal Forum, is that we are all about what works for the individual. Generally you won't find any wars here. Everyone's ears are different, and everyone's needs are different. That's why having great choices is awesome.

Of course, these are proud KPA owners here, and many of us (me included) love to sing the praises of the Kemper's great amp tones. For the most part, we think the KPA does amp tones better, and that's why we have chosen the Kemper (often after having played both). But whatever works best for you is the right choice, and we'll all be glad for you.

You summed it up perfectly there, Desiato! Well done mate.

• I'd love the profiles you make as well.
    The XFX can come up with some very polished sounds that would take a lot of post-processing to produce otherwise - and those are great to have as well.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• It's me again! :)
    So far I have profiled some Presets and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
    I'll upload the Profile Pack later.
    For now I've put my Kemper for sale, just to see how much I'd get to finance the Axe at least partially. (If you'd like to make an offer PM me :P With a decent offer I'd sell the Kemper!)
    To keep you guys updated on the sounds:

• Don't sell it!
    Mixing is an art and takes years to get even half assed at. You shouldn't blame gear for a bad mix. Many cool tunes have been cut using crappy casios and home made instruments.
    the best gear in the world won't make you or anyone else better at mixing or playing. A good guitarist can make a crappy guitar sound decent but a great guitar won't make a crappy player sound good. Same goes for mixing sound. There is much to learn about mixing. I can suggest a great place to start is mix some live music for smaller venues. You will learn about gain structure, microphone placement, EQing, amps, crossovers, how to achieve a balance between onstage and FOH, this is critical for a great live mix! Even more so in small venues at lower volumes. And finally effects and how to achieve a fuller sound using them sparingly. In essence, a good band should sound great unplugged with no effects, therefore, effects should, in my opinion, be used sparingly to create texture.
    But each musician will have his own style just as each sound engineer will, so as I was told many years ago, " son ya gotta know the rules before you can break em'. Don't expect perfection straight outa the box.

• Mixing is an art and takes years to get even half assed at. You shouldn't blame gear for a bad mix....
    the best gear in the world won't make you or anyone else better at mixing... There is much to learn about mixing....
    But each musician will have his own style just as each sound engineer will, so as I was told many years ago, " son ya gotta know the rules before you can break em'. Don't expect perfection straight outa the box.

So true. I used to always be lusting for better hardware, monitors, preamps, plugins... Until I realised that with the skills, a commercial-grade mix can be made using no more than the stock plugins of whatever DAW and your regular hifi speakers, as long you know them very well, have learned to listen properly and the material has been recorded cleanly. It's all about the balance.

• The style of music that you are recording lends itself to some fairly serious issues between the Bass and guitars. It's like the ( wall of sound ) in that there is always sound and little separation between the instruments. In addition, the bass and guitar share a similar sonic texture which tends to make them sound like one instrument with a very wide tonal spectrum. In the solo track the lead guitar jumps way out in front leaving the rest of the instruments way back in the distance. The bass and rhythm guitar are not EQed correctly to achieve separation. Admittedly this is not my style of music and perhaps this was what you were attempting to achieve.
    One thing to keep in mind also is that effects can seriously muddy up a mix. An example would be excessive reverb on a bass or guitar could create so much tail that individual notes or chords can blend together and sound messy in the overall mix. In general if you can record all your tracks (dry) no effects with EQ flat, you can add effects and do EQing in post ( after ) in your DAW. If you use effects during recording, it is destructive, meaning it can't be changed. If you sculpt out frequencies during the recording process it is also difficult or impossible to put them back later. It is always tempting to use that sweet delay or verb during recording, but personally I wouldn't do it. The musicianship sounds great by the way! Keep up the great work, hope to hear the whole tune some day.

• Quote from Danger: “Mixing is an art and takes years to get even half assed at. You shouldn't blame gear for a bad mix....
    the best gear in the world won't make you or anyone else better at mixing... There is much to learn about mixing....
    But each…

Ive been doing sound on and off now for 35 years or so. I toy around with guitars and basses but it's not my forte'. I did sound for a band last week, small venue. The band was shocked at the sound quality and asked what I did as it was a folk band with acoustic instruments. I had no idea? Until I remembered the guitar player said during setup " don't bother mic'ing my guitar we never do, it's loud enough to be heard out front" I said I don't mic it for volume, I do it for balance. If I don't your guitar sounds like it's coming from the back of the stage and the cabinet has a narrow dispersion, you will sound disconnected from the band and I will have no control over your volume or tone out the mains. I had a buddy play his rig while we A/B so he could hear the difference. He was blown away! It was a simple thing that makes a huge difference. Not effects or expensive gear, just an sm57 on an xlr cord hung over the cab. Now they do it!