Advice sought using headphones with Kemper

• So is there a control in the Kemper to 'manage' the mix between the front an rear inputs?

I assumed that they were to be used as 'one or the other' but not both at the same time?

• So is there a control in the Kemper to 'manage' the mix between the front an rear inputs?

I assumed that they were to be used as 'one or the other' but not both at the same time?

I don't know if they implemented mixing control between AUX IN and FRONT input, but you can just turn down your guitar or manage volume of device that enters AUX IN.

• the key for me using headphones is the output EQ. I love my Auidio Techna 50s for recording, but they definitely added lows, and muffled the mids and lowered the highs. So I sat down in my living room with my FRFR speaker I use for live gigging. I annoyed the snot out of my family by turning it up to gigging volume (as I have the EQ on the kemper and FRFR set exactly how I like it for live gigging), and then I created a separate output EQ for the headphones to match as close as possible to the EQ and sound of my live rig. Now, whenever I play through my headphones - whether it's jamming for fun, extra practice, tweaking rigs or trying out new rigs or effects - I know it'll sound very very very close to what I'd get live. It has made my time with the kemper much more enjoyable and eliminates the surprise and disappointment some people feel when they switch to a live rig after spending so many hours at home listening through headphones.

I think this practice would work well with any decent pair of headphones.

• A good approach, whose limit lays in the fact that a few EQ points are - generally speaking - not at all suited to tweak a whole amplitude response. Certainly you can get better results tho, but consider that the higher the volume level the more the room chimes into the sonic equation: if you do the same in a different room you'll end up eq'ing differently.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that how a couple of HPs sound strongly depends on sensitivity, impedances and nominal output level on both the HPs and the amp. Two couple of HPs swapped on two different amps may sound unpredictably different.

What is your HPs' impedance?

• I managed to get both guitarsignal and an MP3 coming from my Samsung tablet. I use a mini stereo from the tablet (audio out) and first put it in a mono adapter jack like this one: http://www.stofzuigerzakken-on…nts/media/verloopplug.jpg
    Sound is coming on one channel of the headphones. But it's a stereo recorded MP3 and that means that the solo on that mix is far away, almost not audible.
    The same if I use a stereo adapter jack like this one: http://www.obibouwmarkt.nl/med…d27136e95/0/0/0011728.jpg In this case it's reversed: the solo is well audible but the rest is far away.

Is there a way to get the same stereo sound from tablet into the alternative input (stereo or mono input?) and mix it all together with the guitar signal on one ( or better) on both left and right headphones speakers? Then you can benefit both! Volume mixing is no problem.

• Have you tried by gently pushing back\forward the plug in the Samsung socket? Sometimes contacts just don't line up, an half a millimetre could close the circuit.
    If this doesn't work, you've probably to use a 3-contact plug.

• Forgotten to ask... Is the alternative input stereo or mono? Or: is the problem related to the Kemper input? In that case a 3-way contact would be no use. The tablet's audio out is always stereo!!

• There are two inputs (The "alternative input" and the "return input" next to it) in the back of the Kemper that you can use as a stereo input (6.3mm plugs) and then under OUTPUT menu there is a OUTPUT ADDONS page where you can adjust the "AUX IN to MAIN" and "AUX IN to HEADPHONES" volume separately.

ie. Plug your audio source to the AUX in inputs in the rear and then use the "AUX IN to MAIN" setting to adjust the mix.

• There are two inputs (The "alternative input" and the "return input" next to it) in the back of the Kemper that you can use as a stereo input (6.3mm plugs) and then under OUTPUT menu there is a OUTPUT ADDONS page where you can adjust the "AUX IN to MAIN" and "AUX IN to HEADPHONES" volume separately.

ie. Plug your audio source to the AUX in inputs in the rear and then use the "AUX IN to MAIN" setting to adjust the mix.

THIS!

There are two inputs (The "alternative input" and the "return input" next to it) in the back of the Kemper that you can use as a stereo input (6.3mm plugs) and then under OUTPUT menu there is a OUTPUT ADDONS page where you can adjust the "AUX IN to MAIN" and "AUX IN to HEADPHONES" volume separately.

You've lost me here. Tried it but it doesn't work. Undoubtedly my fault!! :(
    How to connect one (1) a stereo mini jack from a tablet's stereo audio out to two (2) inputs on the rear (alternative jack input and return input simulteneously)? Just connecting mini stero jack to Return jack input : no sound
    AUX IN to MAIN and AUX IN to HEADPHONES under OUTPUT are both set to 10 ! No sound. Guitar however is working fine through headphones with volumecontrol.

Here's what I see and what I've done

http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fm5pjd&s=8#.VIRuB8ntyms
    http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9bix47&s=8#.VIRuusntyms
    http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r7ueeh&s=8#.VIRvEcntyms

• Whether you use headphones for your Kemper or otherwise.
    Evaluating headphone offerings can become a daunting experience.

I discovered the following to be a very cool site in order to "pre-evaluate" headphone choice selections.
    http://www.headphone.com/pages…2361&graphType=0&scale=40

Of course there's no substitute to first-hand (ear) try-outs before laying down any cash, but this helped me eliminate a lot of contenders before any store/vendor testing.

FWIW - I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's and couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps.

Happy Kemper

• Depending on the kind of HPs you use, it might be impossible to tell how they sound without considering the device that drives them.
    Some time ago I wrote a tutorial about this. You'll find it here if interested.

HTH :)