Does the KPA have some kind of overvoltage protection?

• Last weekend I had a gig that was a complete disaster, two AC adapters burned (MIDI footswitch and talkbox) and a bass amp fuse blown because of power fluctuations and the show even got cancelled after 2 soongs. But the KPA didn't even blink, I know its power supply accepts something like 100-240V, but I was wondering if it ever got above its limit (240V), is there some kind of protection that would turn it off automatically?

I am planning on building one such protection myself because linear power supplies won't take that kind of abuse, I'm guessing the 127V outlets there were at least around 170V for a while, won't ever risk that happening again, so I'm building a very simple relay-based overvoltage protection box that will go between the AC outlets and my gear.

• That sounds horrible, man. The Kemper does have an in-built protection and if things get too hairy, it automatically shuts off to avoid damage. Could take as much as 20 minutes to reboot, which only takes place once the overcharge dissipates. I think it's really essential to have some sort of surge protection extension box when you use the Kemper. Just remember, if that thing blows up, refuse to hook up, or your gear will fry next.

Feel bad this happened to you and it's just another instance of show organisers taking musicians for granted, imo. They shouldn't be allowed to just take a power line from everywhere, gear costs money. Am glad your Kemper didn't fry though, solid and farsighted German engineering.

• Thanks for the reply Nightlight, good to know that the KPA is safe. I did have surge protection in the extension box I was using for the linear power supplies, but it only works for high voltage surges, if that. I am already sourcing the parts for the circuit which will protect my gear from fluctuations like the one that happened last weekend, probably due to some stupid electrician installing a circuit breaker in the neutral line.

• What a horrible experience!
    Good great the profiler was ok. What other damage was done to your gear?

AC adaptor of my Lexicon MPX-R1 MIDI footswitch - gone
    AC adaptor of my Rocktron Banshee talkbox - gone
    Joemeek FloorQ compressor - is now making a loud hum noise and "wind" noises

Luckily the KPA, DXR10, MIDI footswitch and Banshee are all ok, but it was a learning experience: will never leave my (to me) expensive gear unprotected against AC fluctuation again.

• One of my bandmates who lives nearby the venue and the event producer are trying, fingers crossed. It's bad enough that we take a lot of expensive gear to gigs and get paid less than US$ 50 :/