M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Thank you Mr. Britt for

(b) the considerate remarks you gave to teamjims question. Frankly, not many a rigs seller take the time and the knowledge to reply in depth.

Joachim

Indeed Joachim!

Huge props to Michael, his knowledge and willingness to share it, his skill in Profiling and his lack of ego!

• Fabulous Vox rigs, thank you so much for these :)

They made me go and learn "long cool woman in a black dress" all over again!
    cheers

How funny. I had to play that as well. :D

I just purchased the ACE30 and the D-PACK (with the intent of using the D-PACK with single coils).

I saw ZZ Top last night and Gibbon's tone got me interested in my Les Paul again. (Even though he's not playing Les Pauls these days.)
    I pulled up the ACE30 profiles. The first thing I had to try was, of course, Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress. Wow. Spot on. :thumbup:
    The particular profile that had me smiling was 65 Voice ACE30 N 2.

My Les Paul Standard has the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF set. What amazed me was that, on the front pickup, the tone was not muddy playing arpeggiated chords. (When we play I Can't Tell You Why/Eagles)
    The top end was not brittle. Flipping to the rear pickup gave enough grit for the Hollies tone and for Tom Petty. (Mary Jane's Last Dance) I think this profile is the closest I've gotten to the tone for that tune. My bass player always appreciates when I get "the same tone as the record".

I can actually use this profile for clean and pushed clean tones. Another winner when we play Help (Beatles).

I went through all the profiles in the D*mble pack (D-PACK) as well. I love the mellow cleans. A lot of my band's set is using clean tones
    so they're super important to me. The distorted profiles delivered as expected. I can't wait to try them with my Strats. I feel they will
    excel with single coils.

Thanks again, Michael, for delivering the goods. :thumbup:

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Yes indeed, thanks @lonestargtr, great reply. 95% of the time I'm with a loud band, on in-ears. And in that situation the Kemper is very comparable (I think!). Smaller situations with a crappy PA and I may run into problems.

Still running OD pedals into my main clean profile (either ftr 2.0 or one of these new vox ones) rather than switching to a different amp profile for higher gain sounds. I like to have relative EQ consistency in my tone throughout the gain range, and I still have some experimenting to do with finding higher gain sounds that I love and don't so 'different' to my cleans (if that makes sense!). Pedals in front do seem to react differently than pedals in front of an amp, again something to do with compression, but I've popped in a couple of foot switchable clean boosts 'post-stack' which I'm finding really helpful to pop out of the mix.

Interested to know what your go-to cleans/od/lead sounds are?

• Interested to know what your go-to cleans/od/lead sounds are?

Every now and then I scale everything back to a handful of different rigs and then over time as I try new things it gets pretty extensive.

They change over time, but my cleans are usually 3P Blackface (I have about a dozen different ones that are all pretty similar, one of my faves is 3P BF NEWEST from pack 1). I use a Princeton on one little part and I use a Guytron clean for a funk-type thing. Now I'm incorporating the AC30 on a few songs.

My stock mid gain overdrive tones are usually: 3P Blackface Klon, Heritage Colonial 2 8, 72 Marshall, Matchless C30, 70 Marshall SL100, Vox AC30TB Red. Those are the ones I switch and try out different rigs on and sometimes one amp just sounds better for a certain song. I use separate presets for every song so that my delays and fx are all set per song since our set list doesn't change very much. I just swap out the stacks to try different amp rigs.

My lead tones are usually: 72 Marshall, 3P Plexi, and Heritage Colonial 2 9 for vintage Marshall type tones and Bogner Helios or CAA PT100 for long sustain and saturation.

I don't notice a tone of eq shift when switching between those amp rigs. I find that it's no more than the eq shift of turning on an overdrive pedal. I haven't found a stompbox that truly captures a Marshall tone as well as the Kemper captures a Marshall tone, which is always my favorite OD sound.

• Just purchased the AC30 and Colonial packs, with the $5 off it helps this Canadians dollar, lol. Really digging the Colonial, as it does not get muddy in the bass and not over saturated. My ES-349 sounds great with it and great sustain with the Colonial 2 3.

Great stuff!!!

• So I (finally!) bought the D-pack today and picked up the AC30, even though I have a ton of AC30 profiles that I love already. The D-pack is worth every penny (cent?;). I didn't get past the Ceriatone profiles yet, they just sound so good with my Charvel GG (a guitar that is so unusual in tone that I've found it hard to find profiles that work on all pickup positions, yet these just do). Great stuff. I've always been a Marshall man for drive tones, Fender mostly for cleans, but these are something special. I'm really starting to appreciate that special flavour that these type of amps provide. Guess I'm growing up. Thanks @lonestargtr :)

• Really digging the Colonial, as it does not get muddy in the bass and not over saturated.

Yes drog! As I said in another thread, the spectral balance of the Colonial Profiles is absolutely-perfect.

Just played through La Villa Strangiato with the Colonial 2 3 and my ES-349. It was pure bliss.

Of course it was! LOL

I cannot fault the Colonial. Funny thing is, I had a pic of that head as my desktop background for months after I bought the pack 'cause it looked so warm-and-vintage-sounding, but didn't get to hear it 'til my brother came 'round to play the other day for the first time in 6 months. Usually I can play by October, but it's been a long, cold, wet winter that's dragged on longer than any I can remember (May->November!), so my hand issues and lack of heating have meant I'm still waiting.

So grateful my brother turned up with his LP to play - imagine my surprise when the pack sounded exactly how I was hoping... but with more balls!. Awesome. Just awesome.

• The Vox profiles are terrific and probably the best of that amp (Andy's Vox in the Final Pack 10 is great too). The problem is I find it hard to choose favorites: they all sound too great! A good alternative to Fender profiles for clean/crunchy blues stuff, or country/pop.
    By the way, apart from the Tweed pack, which pack would you recommend for Fender sounds (blackface in particular)? Pack 2? The vintage pack? Got the Colonial in the wishlist, as well as all the packs by Mr Britt I have not bought, ha, ha, but I still haven't found the perfect Fender (apart from the Tweed Pack and TAF's Twin in the Finale pack, which are close).

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• You from Charleston? I was at the ZZ Top concert last Sunday on the 2nd row center, left side. LoL!

I am a Profile Whore... Sometimes a Recovering Profile Whore...
    but mostly a Complete and Utter Profile Whore... I want them all... aCk!!! 8|:love:

• You from Charleston? I was at the ZZ Top concert last Sunday on the 2nd row center, left side. LoL!

No, they were in St. Augustine on the 5th (Saturday).
    They were good, sounded great, but looked tired and were ready for the evening to be over.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me