M Britt Kemper Profiles

• Very true that a merged profile with cabs off through a guitar cab should be identical to the direct amp profile with the same settings. My experience with my own merged profiles compared to the same settings' studio profiles is that they are not truly identical. The introduction of the DI into the equation still alters the tone slightly. The merging process, while way better at cab separation than before, still doesn't capture the sound of the studio profiles perfectly, at least to my ears. That is not to say that merged profiles sound bad at all. They don't, and for those who prefer to hear the "amp in room" sound with the cabs off, this is a very viable alternative to studio profiles through FRFR cabs. It is just that in my application, I don't have the need to hear the DI into cab sound in that manner. I am usually in situations where the studio profile works best because I'm either running into a p.a., using iem's for monitoring or recording, where I want the full studio profile anyway.

There are so many ways to monitor the KPA now, it's just a matter of tailoring the profiles you want/need to your monitoring device and I hear feedback from people saying that many different systems work great. It just depends on their needs and what they think sounds good. The style of music also has a bit to do with it. Heavier gain sounds benefit more from having the clarity of high end that comes from using DI/merged profiles with the cab sims off. For the country or slight overdrive stuff, the cab sims kinda round out the top end so it sounds a little smoother, but it's all subjective.

• Thanks for all of the answers guys, really appreciate it! I'll try and answer some of the resulting questions below

Some of the merged stuff sounds a little strange but I'm now wondering if this is an issue with the cabs at the rehearsal studio. I've just unpacked my 2x12 and will be bringing it along with me tonight to see if that resolves the issue. Another possibility is that the poweramp in the powerhead could be adding something to try and emulate a tube amp or something. I have a QSC power amp that I can try as well and see if the problem persists here.

I was previously getting unfavourable results with the direct profiles as well but will try them with my cab tonight. At the moment I'm kind of with Skyhighrocks in that overall the tone of the studio profiles seems to have more feel or magic!

Through my studio monitors at home I get a great sound and no extra bass so this is why I wanted to use these versions as this is key but I like decent sound onstage too and prefer a real guitar cab, although I've not rules anything out at this stage and FRFR is something I'm considering again with the general high quality of profiles available these days.

I don't think the profiles sound thin until I have to remove so much bass on the direct monitor out EQ to remove the woof

My monitor out has the cab disabled and it's my understanding that the monitor out is the one connected to the speaker out of the powerhead so I should be good to go with the cab maker and EQ.

I don't expect the studio profile with cab driver and a direct profile to sound the same but in general they seem to have something more about them.

Thanks again, I'm hoping that it's just the cabs to the studio so will report back after rehearsal tonight.

• I wonder if the difference is in the effects and how the differing speakers handle the effects. Going Studio to a PA or FRFR I suspect will have a difference in how you hear the Delay/Reverb, etc, than what it sounds like through a guitar cabinet. Also the distance of the PA speakers to the closeness of the cabinet would account for how you hear it acoustically in a room, no?

• I actually think the FX in the KPA are BEFORE the Cab block, contrary to the layout of the front panel. What I am about to say is pure speculation and guesswork, based on a few of the ideas in Sinmix's 3.0 thread, but I suspect the KPA is at its simplest a two-part processor : a modelling part and a convolution part. The modelling part takes care of the Stomps, Amp block, EQ, and FX. The convolution part takes care of (most) of the Cab, and is processed independently and subsequently of the modelling part. Also makes sense, if you think of a real-world guitar amp. The FX would be in a loop which gets mixed with the dry preamp signal before being amplified and output through the cab. I'm certain this is also the reason why the Loop stomps in the KPA are pre-Cab, even when you assign them post-Stack.
    All this is to say, I'm not sure that the FX part is what's causing the confusion between different types of profiles (DA, Merged, Studio), different amp/speaker setups and differing experiences. I think it's all very subjective and personal, to be honest. Not very scientific though, haha!

Edited once, last by sambrox ().

• Ok so rehearsal went well, still a little boomy but much, much better. I took a little bass and mids out on the monitor out EQ and raised presence a little which helped.

I've been doing some more testing but it's so far off topic that I'll take that somewhere else.

The result is that the profiles rock!

• FWIW... I have been using pretty much exclusively Mr. Britt's profiles since I purchased packs 1 and 2 a few months ago. I run a Powerhead into one of several cab types: (1) an old 1X12 Lopoline with a Texas Heat in it; (2) an older (2004-ish and well-broken in) Carvin 2X12 open-back with the older Carvin 12" guitar speakers in it; and (3) a newer closed back(convertible) Carvin 2X12 with the newer Carvin speakers. They all sound great with the Powerhead, and I have received many accolades on my tone, both with and without augmentation through a PA, as well as quite a few puzzled looks when folks notice my head. More than once I have been asked "where are the tubes?". :)

BTW, I tried turning off the cab sims at one rehearsal, but the singer commented that the sound was kinda thin, and would I please correct it. I have not turned them off ever since.

I tend to use the Dream Weaver profiles a lot, especially the Klon and Timmy profiles for solos. Diezel is great for the heavier stuff, as well as the Bletchleys for the aggressive tones. A couple more here and there that escape me, but overall the tones are excellent. Will be doing some studio recording with the rig next week and am looking forward to that. Thanks again for some great product, Michael!

• Very true that a merged profile with cabs off through a guitar cab should be identical to the direct amp profile with the same settings. My experience with my own merged profiles compared to the same settings' studio profiles is that they are not truly identical. The introduction of the DI into the equation still alters the tone slightly. The merging process, while way better at cab separation than before, still doesn't capture the sound of the studio profiles perfectly, at least to my ears. That is not to say that merged profiles sound bad at all. They don't, and for those who prefer to hear the "amp in room" sound with the cabs off, this is a very viable alternative to studio profiles through FRFR cabs. It is just that in my application, I don't have the need to hear the DI into cab sound in that manner. I am usually in situations where the studio profile works best because I'm either running into a p.a., using iem's for monitoring or recording, where I want the full studio profile anyway.

There are so many ways to monitor the KPA now, it's just a matter of tailoring the profiles you want/need to your monitoring device and I hear feedback from people saying that many different systems work great. It just depends on their needs and what they think sounds good. The style of music also has a bit to do with it. Heavier gain sounds benefit more from having the clarity of high end that comes from using DI/merged profiles with the cab sims off. For the country or slight overdrive stuff, the cab sims kinda round out the top end so it sounds a little smoother, but it's all subjective.

Hi Michael,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, either in this thread or another.

This relates to your Merged Profiles, that are included in the latest Firmware, or available in the factory "Merged Profiles Pack" on the Kemper site.

I did a Search on this forum, but couldn't find the answer to this question.

Would you kindly advise what Cabinet(s) you used and are integral to the corresponding thirteen (13) Merged Profiles in this pack. I imported them into Rig Manager to check the Cab information...but there are not any details as to what type of cabinet is used (e.g. 2x12, 4x12, etc.). You do identify the speaker, however.

I have your Kemper Pack 3, and in the .pdf release notes you advise that you like to profile amps using the same speaker cab and mic setup. You also mention that your preferred speaker is a Celestion Classic Lead 80. However, I couldn't find info. as to what type of cabinet / configuration the speaker is mounted within. I am guessing it is a 4x12? I am hoping you might provide further details?

Cheers, and thanks in advance,
    John

• John,

The cab I use on most all my profiles is a 3rd Power Switchback 212 cabinet. It has a diagonal baffle board between the two speakers to create a trapezoidal space in the cabinet for each speaker, reducing standing waves and much of the "cabinet" sound so it's a great cabinet that doesn't impart a drastic box sound to the speaker. The cabinet has removable triangular ports in the back of the cab and I like the more open-backed sound of the ports open. I have a Classic Lead 80 and a Creamback in it, but I usually mic the CL80 with the 57/Fathead combination just a few inches off the grill cloth.

Mike

[Blocked Image: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/lonegtr/10644830_10153201452788206_6964878791736828235_n%20copy_zps6dbkgroh.jpg]

• John,

The cab I use on most all my profiles is a 3rd Power Switchback 212 cabinet. It has a diagonal baffle board between the two speakers to create a trapezoidal space in the cabinet for each speaker, reducing standing waves and much of the "cabinet" sound so it's a great cabinet that doesn't impart a drastic box sound to the speaker. The cabinet has removable triangular ports in the back of the cab and I like the more open-backed sound of the ports open. I have a Classic Lead 80 and a Creamback in it, but I usually mic the CL80 with the 57/Fathead combination just a few inches off the grill cloth.

Mike

Thanks so much, Mike. Good to know, because I do really like this cabinet in your Merged Profiles...and I was curious just what type/configuration it was.

Cheers,
    John

• Both great, but I'm drooling at the Vintage Pack.....I am old school. :D

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Hey Michael,
    So, are you using the switch cab for ALL the profiles?
    If so that's amazing, the Champ profiles sound like the real thing!
    Great choice of amps.
    I'll be the fool at the front of the line when you release these.
    Thanks,
    EC